• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

How to make a Story Mod (WIP Tutorial)

Started by 3lric, December 28, 2011, 05:20:12 am

3lric

January 08, 2012, 08:22:50 pm #20 Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 08:55:36 pm by Elric42
okie dokie

What you would do is this

BlockStart()

BlockEnd()

anything inside of this block will happen at the same time as what comes after it

so say you want 3 people to walk at the same time instead of having the walk commands setup the way you do
you could do:

BlockStart()
Walkto:---
Waitwalk:---
BlockEnd()

BlockStart()
BlockEnd()

BlockStart()
BlockEnd()

and those three units that you setup to do that will all walk and then perform there next action inside the
block without being effected by the other walking characters.

Also there is a WaitForInstruction command to makes the game wait for a block to finish as well so you can setup all 3 of
these and then put that afterwords so that once everyone was done walking you could proceed but at the same time not
have the units walking or stopping effected by when another characters walking cycle ends  :mrgreen:

Hope this makes sense, i will cover it more in my next part of my tutorial :D
  • Modding version: PSX

Jon

Makes total sense, thanks. Sounds like you could have literally all 16 units (at max) doing separate, totally random things all at the same time. What I don't understand is like the way I did it, can't I do the exact same thing? In the game all 6 Warriors of Light all rotate together at the same time and charge towards the door as well...does making blocks help the game read the code then or something? Can you post a very simple example of where a Block() is absolutely needed and show why it wouldn't work without it please?
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

3lric

Well I'm not saying it will work any better or that in some circumstances it has to be that way or anything, I'm just saying that in certain circumstances where you want several things to happen at once you can use blocks without to worry about what may be below that action interrupting or affecting the current action :D i will go into more detail when i get this part of the tutorial done in a few days :D

NOTE: Cameras and Messages cannot be put in blocks

Jon

Thank you! I'll try to remember that cameras and messages can't go in blocks. Actually, while I was thinking about it, I think I see a few reasons to use blocks. One obviously being organisation like always, but also I think it might have to do with Unit Animations and Spell Effects...? Okay you don't have to answer, I'll wait for your tutorial :mrgreen:

3lric

Quote from: Jon on January 09, 2012, 06:41:34 pm
Thank you! I'll try to remember that cameras and messages can't go in blocks. Actually, while I was thinking about it, I think I see a few reasons to use blocks. One obviously being organisation like always, but also I think it might have to do with Unit Animations and Spell Effects...? Okay you don't have to answer, I'll wait for your tutorial :mrgreen:

Haha, I'm always willing to answer questions :P

Effects can go into Blocks, but i wouldnt recommend it, since besides the fact that i believe it requires a special trigger, I know that if you do more then 1 effect at a time the game will freeze XD
But yes, i often use them at the very beginning of an event to setup my unitanimations like standing before the camera starts, as well as using them to erase any units that i would like to be invisible at the beginning of the event, this way you can be sure it's all taken care of before the camera even starts

3lric

So, this used to be my ChangeMap tutorial, but since I have some free time while waiting on some stuff to be finished for Jot5, I figured I would start on my all out event editing tutorial.
This still has a long way to go since I've only been working on it for a day or so, and I will have a news announcement once it is finished, since there isn't enough to need one just yet.

Tho I would greatly appreciate any kind of feedback on what is already done, and if you have any questions or things you would like me to particularly explain I will be happy to do so.
The ChangeMap Tutorial is still here as well, and is located up under the Extra's section of the main post.

The main reason I made this post is so people can review what is done so far in sections 1 and 2 and make sure it's easy enough to understand, since I want this to be a guide so that
anyone can just start event editing.

Taichii

so full of win bro XD
i'll read on it later XD
Please do share your ideas and suggestion for my project:
FINAL FANTASY TACTICS : LEGEND OF MANA

Join our RP :)
"Desperation"

"PAIN. THAT'S WHAT KEEPS YOU HUMAN"

Joseph Strife

Awesome Elric, simply awesome, gonna try it soon! Epic Work! :D
Gaffgarion: It's in the contract!
Ramza: Does your contract says: "When you find a former squire, that now is a Holy knight that has kidnapped a princess, in a bridge by a waterfall fighting a brigade you are supposed to kill everybody that helps him!"
Gaffgarion: ... Sure!
Ramza: ... Let me see your contract...
Gaffgarion: ... No...

Wolfman666

Awesome tutorial, I am really new to this and it is very helpful so far. I'm still stuck in part one though, for some reason when I open up my .bin file in Shishi it doesn't have me restructure, not sure if it is because I had already opened it in Shishi Prior to this. When I open up the file in CDMAGE, it gives me error message: Data Track has errors in the file system, content of data track may be displayed incorrectly. It doesn't ask to continue Parsing. It then opens up the bin under session 1, then track 1 then it has battle and Dummy folders, but not all the other ones I need like Event, etc. I don't know if this is an issue I can fix somehow or if I need to make a new image file of the game or what. I have been able to successfully patch things before, such as sprite changes, text, etc. I downloaded the versions of things you have posted with the tutorial, so not sure if it might be something to do with those rather than the ones I had used before. Anyways, any advice I can get on these issues would be very welcome, thanks.

3lric

Quote from: Wolfman666 on May 30, 2012, 11:41:55 am
Awesome tutorial, I am really new to this and it is very helpful so far. I'm still stuck in part one though, for some reason when I open up my .bin file in Shishi it doesn't have me restructure, not sure if it is because I had already opened it in Shishi Prior to this. When I open up the file in CDMAGE, it gives me error message: Data Track has errors in the file system, content of data track may be displayed incorrectly. It doesn't ask to continue Parsing. It then opens up the bin under session 1, then track 1 then it has battle and Dummy folders, but not all the other ones I need like Event, etc. I don't know if this is an issue I can fix somehow or if I need to make a new image file of the game or what. I have been able to successfully patch things before, such as sprite changes, text, etc. I downloaded the versions of things you have posted with the tutorial, so not sure if it might be something to do with those rather than the ones I had used before. Anyways, any advice I can get on these issues would be very welcome, thanks.

Hello Wolfman, the reason Shishi doesn't restructure is because you've already done so, and it doesn't need to be done more then once. Now the reason CDMage may not be working for you is the version, you must make sure you have CDMage B5, you can get it at the link I provided (make sure you click on BETA release)

Also, you should only be opening the bin/iso/img in Mode 2 on CDMage.

One other thing, you may be having an error if you are playing a patched version of the game, for this tutorial, it assumes you are using a vanilla copy, so for best results i would suggest using a vanilla version of FFT.

Hope this helps, and if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Wolfman666

Thank you for the quick reply Elric. I downloaded the correct version of cdmage and that fixed that problem, and ended up running into another problem. I followed the first tutorial to the part where you actually patch the vanilla final fantasy tactics file with the modded ENTD, but when I tried patching it, a box popped up which said: An error of type System.IO.IOException occurred: IO error occurred. Is this a common problem people have had with an easy solution or did I do something wrong? Thanks again for all your help, real eager to get started on modding the best PSX game of all time!

3lric

Quick reply? That took me like 10 hours lol (damn work) anyway,

When patching with any program make sure that you don't have the image open in another program still :P

This is a very common issue that people experience and I myself do it quite often. Just make sure that you closed CDMage, and Shishi before trying to patch with FFTPatcher
and this SHOULD fix your issue, if not, post a screenshot.

MasterGrand

what's wrong ?

ATTACK.OUT Editor
Let's be together !!

Xifanie

You need the ATTACK.OUT file in the same folder as the program.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

MasterGrand

can you please show me screenshot sample
Let's be together !!

Jon

August 24, 2012, 11:28:34 am #35 Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 11:38:39 am by Jon
Hey Elric! Whats up and I'm back again with something totally new. Like I need some help with panning the camera to different angles, actually not really rotating it, just moving it over from the current position to the right- like how would I move the camera from this screenshot so it moves a bit northeast from this position to show Delita who is off camera?  I don't really absolutely need to got northeast, I could just move the camera east but it would be weird because Cloud would have seen Delita there all along...
Also can I have the camera more centered on Cloud, right now he's kinda not in the middle but slightly down and to the right...(this however is fine, I am just a perfectionist, the camera can stay like this if its too much work)

(Note: I know the text bubble is wrong atm, my mistake ignore it please, gonna fix that real soon)

CONMAN

What's wrong with changing the x/y axis in the camera comand to focus on Cloud?  Also, you wish to reveal Delita after a certain point- why dont you then copy your original camera command and adjust the camera/ or map angle when you want to reveal with a second camera command? 

Jon

Yeah, I'll try Conman, I'm just really rusty with this stuff. I'll think of something...

@MasterGrand:
In order to get ATTACK.OUT working you need both the program and the file, ATTACK.OUT editor and ATTACK.OUT. In order to get the ATTACK.OUT file, you need to open your ISO with CDMage, extract it from the Events folder, then put it in the same folder of the editor. Please see the screen shots.

3lric

Jon, you would take the same camera command you already have and make it move about +300 on the X Axis, at a time of 00256, this should make it pan over in that direction slowly

MasterGrand

August 25, 2012, 02:23:02 pm #39 Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 02:28:48 pm by MasterGrand
Quote from: Jon on August 25, 2012, 06:34:04 am
Yeah, I'll try Conman, I'm just really rusty with this stuff. I'll think of something...

@MasterGrand:
In order to get ATTACK.OUT working you need both the program and the file, ATTACK.OUT editor and ATTACK.OUT. In order to get the ATTACK.OUT file, you need to open your ISO with CDMage, extract it from the Events folder, then put it in the same folder of the editor. Please see the screen shots.

Thanks for help us Jon, I need someone give me example  for all commands event editor . like how add other characters in event also how make message for other characters and how make effects magic...etc

Thanks advance 
Let's be together !!