• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:20:32 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Subforum Proposal

Started by formerdeathcorps, December 08, 2011, 09:49:45 pm

formerdeathcorps

December 08, 2011, 09:49:45 pm Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 09:55:58 pm by formerdeathcorps
1) LEARNING SUBFORUM

This subforum, under Help!, should be for people who want someone to tutor them in whatever they wish to learn.  FFH right now has way too large a knowledge divide between people who are new and people who have been here for years.  Furthermore, not everyone learns well from written or video tutorials.  Thus, I feel some people may need active help to learn how to event edit, write ASM hacks, sprite, or whatever else.  This should be entirely voluntary (and obviously without charge) for the tutors and learners.  This way, FFH can better make use of all of her potential.

Learners should submit two things
A) What they want to learn
B) Their learning style, if they know it...this makes it easier to find the right tutor or for the tutor to teach the most effectively

Tutors obviously should only teach in what they know as well as post how they intend to teach (over PM/Skype/iRC/in real life [if you live nearby]...)  Curious onlookers are obviously welcome; detractors will be asked to leave.

2) RECRUITMENT SUBFORUM

This subforum, under Help!, should be for people who make large projects they cannot test themselves.  This includes large ASM hacks / tools, as well as your traditional game patches.  FFH right now has way too many solo projects (many of which may be impossibly large), not enough teamwork, and virtually no testing (for bugs or balance).  Even when there is teamwork, it's never durable.  This impairs our ability to comprehensively hack the game.

To stop laziness, recruiters must meet the following requirements
1) They must have, by their own work, released a WORKING BETA with at least some of the desired features.
2) After the recruitment process, they will continue to do work on the patch.  MERE ADMINISTRATION OF THE RECRUITS IS NOT WORK ON THE PATCH ITSELF.
3) They must specify an estimate of how many people they need and what each person should be doing.  In particular, testers should be told to analyze whatever the recruiter thinks could be broken/bugged (whether this be in the plot, in the balance, or in the ASM code).

Similarly, to ensure work is done steadily, fairly, and without duplication, recruits must meet the following requirements.
1) They should voluntarily agree to work for the project and do what they are best at.
2) If more than one person is working on a section, there should exist constant communication between all members working on that section.  This way, the final result is self-consistent.
3) SELF-IMPOSED DEADLINES ARE TO BE EXPECTED FROM EVERY RECRUIT'S WORK.  Essentially, a recruit will say that he expects to finish some % of the total work by a given time when he starts the task.  If unforeseen difficulties arise, it is acceptable for the work to not be entirely completed, but on the deadline, WHAT WAS COMPLETED WILL BE SUBMITTED AS WELL AS AN EXPLANATION OF WHAT IT DOES DO AND DOES NOT YET DO.  Either not submitting work or submitting minimal changes between any two deadlines WILL RESULT IN TERMINATION FROM THE PROJECT.
4) THE RECRUITER HIMSELF IS NOT EXEMPT FROM THESE RULES.  A RECRUITER WHO REFUSES TO ABIDE BY THESE GUIDELINES HIMSELF LOSES ANY AUTHORITY TO COMPEL OTHERS TO WORK.

The categories (not mutually exclusive) I can think of for recruits are:
1) ASMers
2) Event Editors
3) Mechanics (i.e. people who work on/balance battle mechanics)
4) Spriters/Graphic Editors (the latter includes battle animations)
5) Writers
6) Testers
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

RavenOfRazgriz

Tutorials should be expanded to cover everything proposed for the Learning Subforum.  They're adequately related, and having all resources in one Subforum just makes more sense than dividing it in two.   If lessons are given through PMs, Skype, IRC, or another digital medium, one should be encourage to make a thread posting those lessons, or post those lessons in an existing and related Tutorial for others to read and follow.

Obviously agree with basically everything said from the Recruitment section.

GeneralStrife

Move all useful and non-dead tutorials to the learning subforum. Tuts updated for accuracy and usefulness

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: GeneralStrife on December 08, 2011, 10:07:18 pm
Move all useful and non-dead tutorials to the learning subforum. Tuts updated for accuracy and usefulness

That creates the exact same thing I was saying, but in and incredibly dumb and ass-backward fashion when it's much simpler to expand what already exists instead of making new then putting old shit in.  You realize that, right?

GeneralStrife

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on December 08, 2011, 10:10:12 pm
That creates the exact same thing I was saying, but in and incredibly dumb and ass-backward fashion when it's much simpler to expand what already exists instead of making new then putting old shit in.  You realize that, right?

Yeah sure, Just making sure the basic idea is out there, not really throwing any new details in. didn't read your post good enough.

Dominic NY18

I think the Recruitments sub-forum is a great idea. While I agree with everything you brought up, how would those requirements be enforced?

I'm guessing the recruiter and everyone working with them would mutually agree to abide by those requirements and either stop working with anyone who doesn't meet them (i.e., a recruiter could kick people off the project if they're not holding up their end of the bargain and recruits can walk away from a project if a recruiter isn't doing what they should be doing. Of course, this is ignoring the fact that people can obviously walk away from a project for whatever reason).

Am I understanding this then or am I missing something?

formerdeathcorps

Quote from: Dominic NY18 on December 08, 2011, 10:17:00 pm
I think the Recruitments sub-forum is a great idea. While I agree with everything you brought up, how would those requirements be enforced?

I'm guessing the recruiter and everyone working with them would mutually agree to abide by those requirements and either stop working with anyone who doesn't meet them (i.e., a recruiter could kick people off the project if they're not holding up their end of the bargain and recruits can walk away from a project if a recruiter isn't doing what they should be doing. Of course, this is ignoring the fact that people can obviously walk away from a project for whatever reason).

Am I understanding this then or am I missing something?

Essentially that's how it will go.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Glain

Rules may be a little rigid for the recruitment subforum; I can see why they're there, but they may deter people from doing anything with it. If it works though, then it sounds like a good idea. I like the idea of the learning subforum... it may encourage people to get more involved.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Pickle Girl Fanboy

December 09, 2011, 11:47:20 am #8 Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 01:44:23 pm by Pickle Girl Fanboy
We could use a little more rigidity in our rules.
*SNGH*
Rigidity.

3lric

I fully support this idea and will help in anyway i can :mrgreen:
  • Modding version: PSX

Pierce

I completely support this.
Especially the Recruitment idea. I often want to help on projects but I'm never sure if people asking for help want more than just a tester.
Ignorance itself is a crime! - Miluda