• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:07:25 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Tethical, online FFT clone

Started by Kivutar, February 25, 2011, 04:38:42 am

Cheetah

This is really incredible looking, I am very impressed guys you should all be very proud of just producing this level of product.

I'm realizing that with upscaling the textures and sprites, that you are also likely going to need to up the amount of polygons as well. The environments are going to look way too blocky now. Your new map has some more detailed elements which helps. Such has having a minimum of half blocks maybe go to quarter blocks. Am I making any sense?

The shadows of the far three knights are looking odd.
Current Projects:

Kivutar

QuoteBut on some frames, here eyes are off(this happens in FFT as well, is it the game causing it?).

This happens on FFT only if you use an emulator with a resolution different than 320x240. In Tethical, the issue is similar, I don't know yet how to solve it :/

QuoteBut to use such sprites, EVERY sprite need to be redone, at least sprites for jobs are a must I guess.

These are the sprites for our sample game/tech demo. We still are able to run the classic sprites. In fact, you choose the resolution you need at the time you design your game.
We do not plan to port the official sprites to double resolution. Our first goal is to get rid of the copyrighted content to distribute the engine.

QuoteI assume water animations aren't done yet, cause the Knight in water is like cut in half.

Water animation is not done yet, I don't know how to handle it. Panda is able to loop over textures, but our textures are 1024x1024 and providing 4 textures like this may cause performance issues.
The characters cut in half have nothing to do with the water animation, we just need to add sprites frames for water.

QuoteThis is really incredible looking, I am very impressed guys you should all be very proud of just producing this level of product.

Thanks to Lijj! I like the result too.

QuoteI'm realizing that with upscaling the textures and sprites, that you are also likely going to need to up the amount of polygons as well. The environments are going to look way too blocky now. Your new map has some more detailed elements which helps. Such has having a minimum of half blocks maybe go to quarter blocks. Am I making any sense?

I have to agree. It's not going to be easy. The new map I did is a little too big...
I may finish it fast and start a small but very well designed map with more polygons.

QuoteThe shadows of the far three knights are looking odd.

Yes, this is a bug :( I will ask the panda3d community about this.
Tethical, an online FFT clone

Lijj

Thanks a lot you two.
Yes I agree about the less angular maps from now on to match the resolution Cheetah. This one works fortunately, but the next ones should definitely be smoother. I'm so glad that the walking animation wasn't in dire need of more frames to make up for their mass, they've already taken a lot of work (phweew).
I wonder what it is with the eye.. well fix it or find the native resolution.
I like the new map cursor Kivutar. I wonder if we should make it a different tone of blue or violet just to further stray from FFT's.
Hopefully we can smash that shadow bug too.
  • Modding version: PSX

Kivutar

The new paletted sprites by Lijj. I updated the engine to handle a color per team for sprites.

You can see the shadow bug has disapeared, it is not fixed yet, I just tried another video card. So it realy is a bug in Panda3D. I'm going to report it.

MysticKnightFF5

:more:
I've been noticing a severe lack of posting! THIS TRAGEDY MUST BE RECTIFIED!

Kivutar

I'm so sorry T_T
I had a lot of work recently. And it's not going to change soon because I am on holidays next august and will not have access to the net.
But we are still working on Tethical.
You can check our commits on the github page here https://github.com/Kivutar/tethical/commits/master if I don't post as often as you would like.

Cheetah

So I feel like there is something funny going on with the shadows. Where is that shadow in front of the building on the right coming from?
Current Projects:

GeneralStrife

Why is the right eye messed up on them fem knights?

Lijj

Only because of the current resolution currently General Strife.
In that screenshot the resolution is squashed down so it distorts the pixels. I found that when you make the window bigger in Tethical it corrects itself.
As long as the pixels are at least their native size or larger it's fine but when compressed in any way it'll distort.

I could have posted more updates I guess of my sprite work but who would care to see that. I want to start a new thread for spriting later today when I finish up some touch ups.

Lijj

good question also Cheetah I don't get that shadow.

Kivutar

I am actualy into resolution experiments.

Here is a small roadmap:
- make the GUI and fonts look perfect at 256x240
- make official sprites look perfect at 256x240
- double the resolution of all
- find the best way to adapt the resolution to window size changes

For now, I have a pretty good result for GUI and fonts at 256x256. I don't understand yet why all is messed up if I dont use an x = y = 2^n resolution.

Kivutar

July 14, 2011, 05:25:40 pm #211 Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 05:27:27 pm by Kivutar
Ok, I understand better how resolution works.
I fixed all the resolution issues except the sprites.

Before:

After:

Kivutar

A big patch: first steps of previewing damage.

Kivutar

• Particle effects in the battle

• More UVmapping for the map 007

• Finaly fixed sprite resolution

• Battle cursor pointer

• Remove the action preview when the battle is complete

Cheetah

Is that smoke from the chimney a normal effect in FFT? It looks great plus snow, is that new as well? Great work as always Kivutar! I'm looking forward to seeing damage numbers haha.
Current Projects:

Atma

haven't checked this in a while, but i love the recent progress!
i was wondering... is this mainly meant as a multiplayer engine, or will there be a way to create a storyline for single player modes?  and if so, how will we be able to compile it, would there be any tool/programs like we have for FFT? (fftpatcher for example)
My name is Atma... I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.

Kivutar

QuoteIs that smoke from the chimney a normal effect in FFT? It looks great plus snow, is that new as well? Great work as always Kivutar! I'm looking forward to seeing damage numbers haha.

No, It is not from FFT. Just an experiment. Same for the snow.

To add damage numbers, I have to improve my fonts. And the small tool I use to compile fonts segfaults on my x86_64 arch linux. I have to talk with the developpers of Panda to fix that.

Quotehaven't checked this in a while, but i love the recent progress!
i was wondering... is this mainly meant as a multiplayer engine, or will there be a way to create a storyline for single player modes?  and if so, how will we be able to compile it, would there be any tool/programs like we have for FFT? (fftpatcher for example)

Hi Atma, thanks for your love ;)
Our short term goal is to provide online battles. But once it is done (there is still a ton of work) it will be easy to add a storyline mode.
The bad news is that even with help, it could take us years to achieve a complete game with spells, shops, AI, items, monsters, events, etc...
I don't know how long it will be interesting for me to code Tethical. It may be the time to build a small team of 2~3 developers.
Concerning game compilation, for now, there is a bunch of json files to edit, and a command line tool to pack the game. Creating GUI to edit files is easy.
Of course, people able to edit the source code (it is written in Python, an easy to read script language) will be able to change more things. Like it is the case today for ASM hackers, but faster.

Kivutar

The new sprites looking good with the resolution fix. No more strange eyes.

Lijj

July 18, 2011, 10:13:52 am #218 Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 10:17:52 am by Lijj
Wow! pixel perfect...
new floor tile?
I should have mentioned earlier the way the snow turns with the camera is great.

Omegus

:shock: This is amazing!!!I want to help. Mind you I am JUST starting python aweek ago. But this is perfect. And we can look for more people to help on Indie DB for other things too. This game has massive potential you have no idea. If you wanna do chat i always have my skype on nickname is boomstick8 . I am more than eager to learn python on my own and keep up.