• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:15:18 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

FFT Tabletop RPG Discussion

Started by Dokurider, July 24, 2010, 07:26:07 pm

Neuromancer

Quote from: "Dokurider"
Quote from: "Neuromancer"I could be of assistance with the graphical design, provided I get the gist of how will mechanics work in your version.

That would be nice, but could you be a little more specific?

Anyways, one of major goals was to make terrain worth paying attention to. So I came up with a list of possible terrain effects as well as some Weather Effects and Statuses

[attachment=2:13zjbh19]TerrainandWeatherBonuses.doc[/attachment:13zjbh19]

[attachment=1:13zjbh19]StatusList.doc[/attachment:13zjbh19]

[attachment=0:13zjbh19]Boots.doc[/attachment:13zjbh19]

I need to know how things will work on your game so I can help you with the unit sheets/cards: Will you use defense stats? How about Bravery, Faith, etc?.  Yeah, terrain should matter more than in the original FFT and could even open up new abilities for Geomancers (such as combat bonuses).

Dokurider

Quote from: "Neuromancer"
Quote from: "Dokurider"
Quote from: "Neuromancer"I could be of assistance with the graphical design, provided I get the gist of how will mechanics work in your version.

That would be nice, but could you be a little more specific?

I need to know how things will work on your game so I can help you with the unit sheets/cards: Will you use defense stats? How about Bravery, Faith, etc?.  Yeah, terrain should matter more than in the original FFT and could even open up new abilities for Geomancers (such as combat bonuses).

I strive to keep the game as close to the original as possible. It will be very similar to FFT, with only one major exception. Move is no longer an ability, but rather an equipment separate from Accessory. Boots to be precise. On the stats sheets, they'll go underneath Accessories. There will be no defense stats. Anything else?

-Reorganized First Post

formerdeathcorps

Why didn't you ask me about this earlier?

There was a topic on this in FFTR (a FFT fan/game site Zaen, Eternal, and I hail from) on precisely this.  The creator tried to implement the medieval caste system into FFT, added a ton of new nations and classes, and didn't finish everything, but I have all the notes to it, as well as some things I added, though this was before I learned how to balance games so we might need to seriously rework things.

Doku, I know you have your own ideas, but feel free to draw from anything here you might like.

NOTE: I also used this as the base for making more complicated games, usually played on a table top between friends.  If you all wish to see what I did there, I can post both mine and my friend's ideas for units and mechanics.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Neuromancer

Well obviously there's plenty of systems floating around, we might as well pool resources :D

Dokurider

So I won't be able to work on this for a while. Most of my free time is now being devoted to learning how to program. It going to take a while, at least two months or more.

Neophyte Ronin

I have conducted research on tabletops before and have discovered a massive correlation between several FF titles and the Tri-Stat system as used by the Big-Eyes-Small-Mouth Anime-themed game.  Look up BESM or Tri-Stat and see for yourself.  They look more than similar.  Titles that follow include FFV, FFVI, and FFIX.  Tactics does so, obviously.

The stats are simple: Body, Mind, and Soul.  Body affects Health, Soul affects Power, and Mind affects various abilities.  It can be as complex as possible with potential hybridized stats (put Vitality in the center in place of Constitution, Agility between Body and Mind, Wisdom between Soul and Mind, Intellect as Mind, etc.), and you can put in as many things as you like.

Brave to determine Reactions are simple: d% rolls.  CaFaith*TaFaith*Spell*Soul/10000 to determine magics.  Well, we can just add a base for each spell (positive or negative number), add to Current Faith, then roll a D%.

To resolve in the old system, your power level dice are rolled two at a time.  If you score beneath the target's relevant stat number, you score.  A D20 variant exists, updating the system.  The old system lets you use the kinds of Dice you have on hand.  Average human capability is listed as 4 at any rate, with 3 for teen, 2 for kid, and 1 for infant; 5 or above are gradients of above-average capability.  You can adjust the height of ability to affect someone with Brave or Faith.  Power attacks, for instance, can only be good as your Body*Brave/100 (8*70=560/100=5.6, or either 5 or 6 depending on your rounding policy).

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=368&it=1

I've considered the trial of conceiving a set of rules to emulate Tactics on the tabletop, and will happily provide any service towards your project's completion, whenever you're ready.