• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:01:35 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

FFTactext error object reference not set to an instance of an object troubles.

Started by RavenCurow, April 07, 2018, 05:43:55 am

RavenCurow

So I'm modifying some more text in my mod and I've only changed a few lines from what it was before; specifically, the names and descriptions of Yell, Cheer Up, Wish, Scream, and Ultima. I'm not sure what happened to cause it to flip out and I've done just about everything I've tried before when I get DTE errors to get it to cooperate, but nothing I've tried seems to work (clearing extra japanese text, cleaning up lines so they aren't too long, etc.) so I thought I'd post here and see if anyone can give me some advice. I've attached my file if anyone wants to take a look at it.

Also, I have added some more stuff previously in the unused skills slots under Parasite as well as overwriting a couple empty job slots and descriptions. I don't think those are having any problems as it patched fine before. Only problem I could see is maybe amount of text. I'm not sure.
  • Modding version: PSX
Ramza: Delita, your hurt?
Delita: No, really? Did you think I was taking a nap down here?

Xifanie

Have you ever patched your ISO through Tactext, then later on, imported the text from that text-patched ISO, edited, and tried to patch again, causing this error to pop up? Or getting an error trying to load a .ffttext file that was created from a modified ISO's text data?
(Sorry, kinda forgot what triggers the bug since I never experienced it myself.)

Are you using my FFTText Editor?

What version of Tactext are you using?
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

3lric

That bug is almost always triggered by surpassing the character limit of a given section that you are editing.

Xifanie

I'm not sure how that works then, because I've only ever gotten DTE errors with too much text. But no one knows how Tactext works so...
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

RavenCurow

What I've always done is import my text from the ISO, save a patch, open the patch, and then patch the ISO otherwise I get a DTE error. If it's as Elric says then I'll try to shorten my descriptions...not that they were long to begin with lol. Otherwise the only thing I haven't tried is starting over and patching a clean ISO. I'd hate to have to do that as I would have to reimport my sprites, but you got to do what you got to do I guess.

Edit: Finally found the culprit. Apparently I was two characters over the limit in ability names lol. Didn't even think of that. Figured it was the bigger ability descriptions, but after testing and deleting all of my added descriptions and it still not patching I decided to try ability names and wala. Damn stingy game. Not patching is the difference between calling something Air Blast vs Air Render.
Ramza: Delita, your hurt?
Delita: No, really? Did you think I was taking a nap down here?