• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:50:52 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Worst RPGs you've played?

Started by Angel, August 24, 2014, 09:25:16 pm

3lric

That would make John Candy cry :(
  • Modding version: PSX

Kaijyuu

August 27, 2014, 02:16:13 pm #41 Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 04:33:39 pm by Kaijyuu
I will note that things like enemy appearance design and battle music are different than the "battle system" proper. Enemies and music look and sound great. I just wish you did more with them than just spam A (or was it B?).

Anywho, I won't go into detail but I'll point out Chrono Trigger for a good game to compare Earthbound to. Both have battle systems where you need to rush a little bit, problems with UI, and "attack" is your most used command. They're very different in enemy and ability design though: Chrono Trigger often makes you think about things like targeting, timing heals, waiting for combo attacks, etc. Earthhbound's decision making can be much more easily reduced to a simple algorithm.

Celdia

Quote from: Kaijyuu on August 27, 2014, 02:16:13 pm
... Chrono Trigger ... "attack" is your most used command.

Good points but just that one bit made me twitch. I'm sure it's a personal gripe since everyone plays a little differently but god damn that must be boring if you use Attack more than anything else in CT. I stop using Attack as soon as I get Cyclone and try to avoid using it as much as possible because good god are the different techs just glorious to behold. So many different forms and functions and areas of effect not to mention just being beautifully animated a lot of the time... Sorry. Just had to say something about it, but your point does stand regardless.

Carry on.
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Vaan

... Chrono Trigger... "attack" is your most used command.

I've played hundreds of times, attack was never my 1st option, thats why i always set the configs to remember where the cursor was, it helped me to use the techs, mainly cuz i was always changing teams and exploring all combo possibilities. I'd say that Attack being spammed would make the game boring and longer.
"    One of these days I'll fly an airship of my own. I'll be a sky pirate, free to go where I will.    ,,
   ~ Vaan

Angel

... Chrono Trigger... "attack" is your most used command.

If attack is your most used attack in CT, you're doing it wrong. Very rarely should you be using anything other than double/triple techs. Even then you should only fall back on single techs if one of your party member isn't properly equipped for that battle.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Kaijyuu

Did ya'll spam ethers or something? I'd run out of MP so fast spamming techs every battle.

Unless you're just talking about bosses or something.

Xander

August 27, 2014, 07:00:25 pm #46 Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 07:08:37 pm by Xander
Quote from: Toshiko on August 26, 2014, 02:18:02 am
Okay, I need to set one thing straight. Grandia is pretty standard through the first disc. Nothing really special, just ordinary JRPG fare that's all a bit one dimensional. It's the SECOND disc where everything explodes and goes topsy-turvy and it becomes the masterpiece everybody says it is. Because it is a masterpiece. I'll forgive you for not finishing it, but I won't let you call it awful without finishing it. Seriously, anybody who's played through the game will tell you this.

I get it.  I do... And because I actually played, and beat a game as terrible as the other two on my list, I should probably go back, and play it seriously setting aside the unnerving gawd awful sound.  In the time I played it the sound was what made me quit...  I can deal with old graphics, and even bad graphics.   It's hard for me to get past bad sound.  Sound is what will make or break a game I'm playing.  I don't know why this happens to be my picky point, but it is...

Quote from: EmmaNigma on August 26, 2014, 02:35:11 am
Final Fantasy Tactics. It's a game so horribly broken, so unbalanced, and so poorly made that it requires an extensive modding community to make it good, often times rewriting its entire story and characters. This is good, because the plot makes no sense, and is poorly translated The characters are not engaging. Oh, cool, a character that could have a kinda cool plotline? As soon as you get them in the party, they're just generics with an exclusive job. Great character idea, idiots. Don't understand the love for this game. It's not even Final Fantasy.

Lolwut?  What is wrong with you kid?   It's 100% the only Final Fantasy that doesn't suck in one way, or another.  Even 7 has it's drawbacks (Materia lvled way too slow).   This game is -only- broken if you make it such.  The same can be said of all Final Fantasy.  I've seen that as one of the appeals of the franchise, that the more you train, the more you see a difficulty decrease.  It's a very rewarding system.  I see the difficulty in this game set to the will of the user.  It's up to you how intense you want your gameplay to be depending on how you train/abuse mechanics.   I mean, if you really want to be dumb, you can de-level, and relevel as Ninja's until your base speed is 50 and you take like six turns before any enemy.    Calling a game unbalanced due to your actions doesn't really fit.  If you just leveled via story, and the occasional random battle, the game is quite challenging... And I wish you good luck during the final Wiegraf battle...  Cuz the game can be punishing as hell if you neglect training...

Vaan

Quote from: Kaijyuu on August 27, 2014, 06:47:53 pm
Did ya'll spam ethers or something? I'd run out of MP so fast spamming techs every battle.

Really depends on the enemies faced, but you get to amoment in the game that you have enough money to buy 99 Tonics, 99 Mid Tonics, 99 Shelters and 99 Ethers, depends how you exploit the game like in the 65,000,000 BC doing the hunting range lots of times, turning the loot into weapons and then selling the weapons is one example. But its not the earliest as i recall, i remember i used to defeat Gato with 1 hit, then i would keep redoing it then trading it for money is probably the earliest if im not mistaken. Mix that with knowing the mp values, knowing how strong each tech and knowing how to kill enemies with fewer techs and you re good to go.
"    One of these days I'll fly an airship of my own. I'll be a sky pirate, free to go where I will.    ,,
   ~ Vaan

Angel

Quote from: Xander on August 27, 2014, 07:00:25 pm
I get it.  I do... And because I actually played, and beat a game as terrible as the other two on my list, I should probably go back, and play it seriously setting aside the unnerving gawd awful sound.  In the time I played it the sound was what made me quit...  I can deal with old graphics, and even bad graphics.   It's hard for me to get past bad sound.  Sound is what will make or break a game I'm playing.  I don't know why this happens to be my picky point, but it is...
Yes, definitely give it another shot. Not sure what's wrong with the sound, though... Noriyuki Iwadare is praised for that soundtrack. The voice acting I can admit isn't awesome, but it isn't terrible, either. *shrug*

Quote<EmmaNigma post>
Lolwut?  What is wrong with you kid?
For the record, EmmaNigma is a veeeeery old friend of mine, and she posted this as a joke. Kinda sad that it took this long for someone to reply, and they thought it was a serious post. Oh well...

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame

Celdia

August 28, 2014, 12:02:55 am #49 Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 12:30:04 am by Celdia
Quote from: Kaijyuu on August 27, 2014, 06:47:53 pm

Well yeah. There's no reason not to. They're cheap and plentiful. Use ethers like tonics. The same for Lapis, Elixir and Megalixirs. I mean...they pretty much throw so many items at you that you never have to buy anything and it's not like dying with the fullest inventory wins you the game so you may as well use them. The only thing I ever bothered to buy other than equipment were Shelters because yesIwilltakeamegalixirfor150Gthankyouverymuch. Save points were pretty damned abundant so it helped to keep a healthy stock of those on hand. Between those and the treasure chests and enemy drops, there was truly no excuse not to have full MP all the time. Oh, and let's not forget about Silver and Gold Stud accessories on top of all that...

The same can be said of all Final Fantasy.

Your save files are as empty as your soul! Gamerkind ill needs a member such as you!
"What is a gamer?" *throws down a can of Mountain Dew* "A miserable little pile of achievements! But enough talk... Have at you!"

EmmaNigma

Lolwut?  What is wrong with you kid?   It's 100% the only Final Fantasy that doesn't suck in one way, or another.  Even 7 has it's drawbacks (Materia lvled way too slow).   This game is -only- broken if you make it such.  The same can be said of all Final Fantasy.  I've seen that as one of the appeals of the franchise, that the more you train, the more you see a difficulty decrease.  It's a very rewarding system.  I see the difficulty in this game set to the will of the user.  It's up to you how intense you want your gameplay to be depending on how you train/abuse mechanics.   I mean, if you really want to be dumb, you can de-level, and relevel as Ninja's until your base speed is 50 and you take like six turns before any enemy.    Calling a game unbalanced due to your actions doesn't really fit.  If you just leveled via story, and the occasional random battle, the game is quite challenging... And I wish you good luck during the final Wiegraf battle...  Cuz the game can be punishing as hell if you neglect training...

These are, heh, nice opinions, for a clown. Play a real RPG, like the Elder Scrolls or Mass Effect.

Quote from: Toshiko on August 27, 2014, 11:30:28 pm
For the record, EmmaNigma is a veeeeery old friend of mine, and she posted this as a joke. Kinda sad that it took this long for someone to reply, and they thought it was a serious post. Oh well...

I am literally shakeing
I hope the junkyard a few blocks from here someday burns down, and I hope the rising black smoke carries me far away and I never come back to this town again.

Kaijyuu

Quote from: EmmaNigma on August 28, 2014, 12:26:18 amPlay a real RPG, like the Elder Scrolls or Mass Effect.

oh man I love elder scrolls online

TristanBeoulve

Hmm... I'm a bit late, but I'll do this.

Two Worlds 2- Terrible dialogues, and yet worse voice acting. The quests make your supposed-badass character just a messenger in pretty clothes. The exploration is a plus... sort of... but the terrible framerate makes travel a hassle. Not to mention the merchants yelling out the same thing all the time, that annoys me to oblivion! ...no, really, I played Oblivion when this one annoyed me enough to shut it off. The story sucks, and you have to avoid enemies for quite a while, as the equipment is shut for a pretty long period. The game is just terrible in almost every way, and pisses me off to no end.

I'm only adding one, because it's sufficiently bad on its own. Tristan out.
"There is blood on my hands, how long till it lies on my heart?"

Xander

Quote from: EmmaNigma on August 28, 2014, 12:26:18 am
These are, heh, nice opinions, for a clown. Play a real RPG, like the Elder Scrolls or Mass Effect.

Orite.  Soz.  Don't talk shit 'bout FFT!  We love eachother!  We have something special! D:  How about you keep your misguided storylines, and crap ending.  *cries*

That's too bad about Two Worlds 2.  I actually considered buying it at one point...

Celdia

Quote from: Celdia on August 26, 2014, 03:34:20 pm
Okay, I don't know what that thing's deal is, but it is ugly as sin. Looks like some kind of fucked up mutation of a human and a pug.

Quote from: Elric on August 26, 2014, 11:43:35 pm
Was that supposed to be negative? Cuz that all sounds pretty awesome to me.

Okay, this is late but seeing it made me remember this post, so...

THERE IS NO GOD

3lric

I would smoke with that dude. Still not seeing an issue here :P

Also completely aware of there being no God.

Celdia

Elric, you would smoke with anyone.

Vaan

By his addictions, i'd say he'd smoke anyone. *takes a step back*
   ~ Vaan

Angel

After today, I'm going to need to add one.

Ni no Kuni
Those of you who know me will know I hate two things about RPGs: MP and random battles. Ni no Kuni forces you to use magic*, but doesn't give you enough MP to use magic, which is a great combination if you're designing games for people to play while they're in hell. It also takes one of my favorite mechanics ever introduced into RPGs - visible enemies on the map - and turns it into the bane of my existence; nearly everything aggros from considerable distance, absolutely everything is faster than you are, almost nothing will give up chasing you, and after you kill them, they respawn once you've moved a couple meters away. I'm quickly beginning to not give one bit of a shit about the story just because the gameplay is the most infuriating I've encountered in recent years.

* Yes, I know you're given familiars, but they're only barely enough to keep you afloat. I'm still constantly wishing for blue dots to drop so I can cast an attack spell against the 4932nd purple muppet that runs up insisting I kill it. I need a mod that makes enemies never spawn, holy shit.

Xander

Quote from: Elric on August 30, 2014, 03:04:46 am
I would smoke with that dude. Still not seeing an issue here :P

Also completely aware of there being no God.

Smoke smoke?  Or tobacco?  Let's join for whisky in either case.

Really seeing a rise in atheism.  It's about time.