• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:28:26 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Problem with some skills not flashing red when you don't have sufficient MP.

Started by Zantetsuken, May 16, 2019, 10:36:34 am

Zantetsuken

Is there any way to make skills that were not supposed to cost MP, flash in red when MP is insufficient?
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Zanmato

Timbo

I didn't even realize this was a problem. I'm curious about this as well.
  • Discord username: Timbo

Zantetsuken

I didn't realize it either, until i decided to balance some skills around having MP costs, like the holy knights sword skills. It is the psx version btw.

3lric

Its not a problem. Its simply either a flag in fftp or elsewhere. Ive never had this issue in a mod ive worked on, so i know the flag is there an available. You are just missing it.

Zantetsuken

Are you sure? Because i tested using the same flags of a black magic skill and it didn't work, but if i copy the sword skill over a black magic it works perfectly. Anyways i'll take another look when i get home, maybe i'm missing something.

Xifanie

I'm pretty sure it's a skillset thing and I've heard about it in the past...

Considering that both these skillsets have the same Action Menu type, it's possible my Skillset Behaviours hack is required to fix it, though I can't guarantee it will.

http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=953.0#post_p3

Basically you'd take Holy Sword and give it Black Magic behaviour or something. It should change the menu to work the same. I don't know if this will break the 'sword equipped' requirement to access the menu though.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Zantetsuken

I think its hardcoded in the skill because even if i put it on the wizard skillset it doesn't work, but I'll test if with skillset behaviours hack i can fix it.

Ty for the responses.

Zantetsuken

Eh... Didn't work  :(. I guess it will need some ASM hacking, sadly it is beyond my skills.

Timbo

Though I haven't tried it on the PSX, basic ASM isn't that hard on the SNES. Based on my very limited experience it doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to figure out. I'll be completely honest though, I'm not familiar with PSX assembly yet and I haven't even looked at FFT under the hood.

If I wasn't neck deep in my Secret of Mana hack I would probably try to run a trace and figure it out.
  • Discord username: Timbo

3lric

We don't have this issue with Jot5 and every skill in that is custom in one way or another. The only broad hack we use that affects skillsets (atleast in the currently released version) is indeed the hack Xif mentioned above. No idea what you are doing wrong.

Timbo, yeah Pokemon ASM on the gameboy is easy as pie too, but in all fairness, this aint that, lol

Glain

According to the Wiki, the relevant routine seems to be this one.  The only thing that really catches my eye at first glance is that it seems to sometimes skip setting the red flashing status if the action is immediate (no charge time), based on the branch at 0x1400bc.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Zantetsuken

Yeah Glain, i guess you nailed it, i just tested it and if i put a charge time on the skill it shows the red flashing status. Is there a way to fix it?

Xifanie

Oh wow, sorry, totally missed the mark and sent you the wrong way. :/
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Zantetsuken

Haha np Xifanie, i'm glad you and the others are trying to help me :D

Do you think there is an easy fix to this? If not, there is no problem, i can live without the red flashing  :lol:

Glain

You should be able to just remove the branch by changing BATTLE.BIN at offset 0xD90BC (4 bytes) from 02 00 40 10 to 00 00 00 00.

Patch that does it:

<Patch name="Abilities can flash red without charge time">
  <Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="1400BC" mode="ASM" offsetMode="RAM">
    nop
  </Location>
</Patch>
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Zantetsuken

Quote from: Glain on May 18, 2019, 01:38:03 am
You should be able to just remove the branch by changing BATTLE.BIN at offset 0xD90BC (4 bytes) from 02 00 40 10 to 00 00 00 00.

Patch that does it:

<Patch name="Abilities can flash red without charge time">
  <Location file="BATTLE_BIN" offset="1400BC" mode="ASM" offsetMode="RAM">
    nop
  </Location>
</Patch>

Ty very much, it worked  :D