• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:24:42 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Devil Survivor :D

Started by FrozenDragon150, May 03, 2014, 11:08:58 pm

FrozenDragon150

I'm posting this here 'cause it said 'General' so I thought 'If it says General, it also must mean NON-general stuff right?' so, I decided to post it here.

Now, I wanna ask you guys if you've heard of the Shin Megami Tensei games, specifically, Devil Survivor, a SRPG for DS, currently, there are 2 games, DeSu and DeSu 2. These games, however, have a quite small fanbase, and so, almost no one has ever made any attempts at hacking or modding it, and that's exactly what I'm asking here, does anyone here have ANY knowledge about the inner structure of these games? I'm QUITE interested in any attempts made at hacking them, specially because I love SRPGs like both the DeSu series, as well as FFT, and it seems like a total waste not to even blink an eye at these awesome games.

Anyone?

Xifanie

Well then, maybe you should start researching and hacking it.
If I were just like everyone else, waiting for others to do the work, FFHacktics wouldn't exist. And I mean, I'd be surprised if -anyone- else would have bothered doing all this work to allow others to make mods.

Game hacking isn't popular, especially on older gen games. So if you really believe what you said, go and grab yourself a hex editor and get on with it.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

FrozenDragon150

Well, that's the problem, I'm literally stumbling my way around the hex editor after opening up the game, nothing makes sense besides the thing being in hexadecimal
:( I mean, if I had a few leads about, like, Skill data or damage formulas or something, it would REALLY shed light on my path, I'm basically searching around the dirt for something I can use as a lead to figure the thing out, with... less than favorable results. Of course, I have a bunch of ideas for a mod in these 2 games, lots of changes in mind and all, but I find it horribly difficult to make them a reality while walking in the dark :(

Xifanie

Well congrats! There is data available for you to use.
AR codes have the memory address they affect in them, so if you can use a DS emulator which supports savestates, it should make things a hell of a lot easier for you.
This first step took me over 8 months to figure out, back in 2005, when I had no idea what I was doing.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

FrozenDragon150

Well, I looked into it and...... I found a whopping nothing XD

Well, not 'nothing' but I did found things like skill names in the text thingie, as well as character names and some stuff called 'events' and others with '.cmp' dunno what to do with those though :( but i'll try the DeSmuME emulator in some minutes, maybe it'll shed some light, who knows?

3lric

Skill names, text, and events are definitely not nothing...

FrozenDragon150

May 04, 2014, 02:22:10 pm #6 Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 07:18:11 pm by FrozenDragon150
Oh, no, that's not what I mean, I found the names, in seemingly random places so I dunno what to do with them XD

Currently, I'm using DeSmuME to see what I can dig up.

Reminded of FFT?

Use the EDIT button next time -Elric

Welp, forgot that XD hehe, anyways, I got introduced into SRPGs by Devil Survivor, great games, great times.

EDIT: Oh, I found AR codes for character and enemy data, so I started editing the codes and made even more (There aren't many for DeSu 2...)
Let's see, I made Level, Stat, Skill, Elemental Affinity and Status Effect mod codes for the in-battle characters, that's good right? Since I dunno how Hex Editor really work, maybe i'll make a semi-patch using AR codes to edit every battle in the game, hey, it's better than nothing right?