• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:51:17 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

FFTA2 Equipment editor

Started by bcrobert, May 20, 2013, 03:12:03 am

bcrobert

May 20, 2013, 03:12:03 am Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 04:27:58 am by bcrobert
This is a thing that Eternal told me to post, so I'm doing that. It's a Nightmare module for FFTA2 to edit equipment. It works like the ones in my other post [FFTA Nightmare modules/Archiving] so refer to that if you're confused.

EDIT. The equipment editor has been fixed to incorporate seeq and gria jobs. Thanks, Badger.

EDIT2. It should now show the abilities list instead of just a value.
My FFTA hacking tools: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9559.0

Believe it or not, I'm still working on this game.

semigue

bcrobert

Find Nightmare 1, which should be available online somewhere. (Nightmare 2 isn't compatible with this editor.) Load the ROM. Load the module (.nmm file). And then it's fairly self-explanatory. Note that it is a module, not a standalone program. Nightmare 1 is absolutely 100% required.

EDIT. For some reason only Nightmare 2 seemed to be available. Which is stupid, since there are games Nightmare 2 isn't compatible with but...anyway. A copy of Nightmare 1 is now in the OP.

semigue

fantastic ^. ^
the other day, after searching, I download the nightmare2 and I was stupid face when I did not know to use

thank you very much.

semigue

one thing, if you edit an object that teach an ability to seek or gria, loses that ability and teach it to soldier.
The same thing happens with special professions like sky pirate or bard >.<

Seroster

It seems this thread hasn't had any activity lately, but since I'm trying to use the things he linked, does anyone have an idea why it won't let me open it?  It tells me "An unnamed file was not found". 

Pretty generic answer to try & troubleshoot, would anyone be willing to try to boot this up & tell me if it works for you?

bcrobert

Does this happen right when you try to click on Nightmare? That should open and show you an empty Nightmare window even if you don't have any ROMs or modules. (I can't imagine what "unnamed file" it could be searching for...)

Seroster

No, it happens after I have loaded the module & then go to open and select the rom.  When I select the rom & hit OK, it spits out that error message.

Something I figure I should bring up, you don't think this program would have something not functional BC I'm using Win8 do you?  About the only thing I can think of logically.

In other veins, do you think I might need a seperate ROM?  And I have also used the job editor tools already, do you think that would cause the error?  IDK.

Darthatron

As a general programming thing, try moving Nightmare and the ROM to a directory that doesn't contain any spaces, such as the base "C:\\" drive.

bcrobert doesn't run Windows 8, nor do I, so I'm not sure if it's a problem with that. If it is, I might be able to whip-up a quick program to do what this module does. That will definitely work.

Good luck!
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Darthatron

Seroster

July 24, 2014, 01:29:38 pm #9 Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 02:41:33 pm by Seroster
Well I moved all of the applicable stuff into my base D drive and tried again, interestingly tells me straight that the module is not compatible w/ the first FFTA when I try to open it, which I thought was somewhat promising, but it still gave me the same "not found" error when I try to open the ROM.  So IDK at this point.

If you could whip up a little editor I would be eternally grateful!     :mrgreen:

bcrobert

It sounds like it's actually a problem with your FFTA2 ROM? Eternal used the same module and had no issues, so I would suggest securing a fresh FFTA2 NDS ROM, preferably from a different source copy. If it doesn't work on multiple ROMs then I'll be fresh out of ideas.

EDIT. If you used any other tools on your ROM prior to using this then they -may- have conceivably made Nightmare not recognize the ROM somehow. I wouldn't expect that to be the problem since Nightmare doesn't exactly do an in depth security check afaik, but it is possible.

Darthatron

One last thing before I commit to making a program. Make sure it's not read-only.
  • Discord username: Darthatron

Seroster

Nope, not read only.  I double-checked to make sure, but I was already 99% sure it wasn't since i had successfully used the Job/Ability editor.  So, dunno what the problem is still.  Bizarre!

BadgerLordZeus

September 30, 2014, 11:21:36 am #13 Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 10:51:42 am by BadgerLordZeus
Forgive me for necroposting, but I was using this equipment editor and while I was editing equipment learned abilities I saw that many jobs were missing from the editor, all of the seeq/gria jobs, a few moogle jobs, and the special jobs as well. Which means when you edit, lets say for example the Tournesol, when you open up your game you'll find that Soldier learns Dragonheart from from it rather than Lanista. So I just made a quick fix that allows you to safely edit all of the equipment in the game as well as give equipment abilities to any of the jobs including the special jobs(Dancer, Sky Pirate, Bard, Agent, and Heritor). Just swap out the "jobs.txt" file in the "equipment" folder with the one I have attached.

EDIT. The updated jobs file is now included with the main equipment editor download.

Eternal

Thanks for the update, Badger!
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

bcrobert

September 30, 2014, 11:45:25 pm #15 Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 11:51:31 pm by bcrobert
Awesome, it's nice to see someone took the time to edit that.  :mrgreen:

When I first started reading your post I thought it was gonna go in a completely different direction. I was like, "Oh God, don't ask me to update something from over a year ago."

EDIT. I replaced the jobs.txt in equipment.rar in the op with your version. So that people don't get that problem and get discouraged.

Jigi

Is the abilities.txt supposed to be empty?
  • Discord username: Jigi

BadgerLordZeus

Quote from: bcrobert on September 30, 2014, 11:45:25 pm
Awesome, it's nice to see someone took the time to edit that.  :mrgreen:

When I first started reading your post I thought it was gonna go in a completely different direction. I was like, "Oh God, don't ask me to update something from over a year ago."

I getchya. I see people dig up really old tool threads all the time on various rom hacking forums.

Quote from: Jigi on October 02, 2014, 05:15:18 pm
Is the abilities.txt supposed to be empty?

I believe so. If you want to know all of the ability values and such, I attached a text file in my post, if you or anyone else wants it.

OmegaPantherz

Do you know if there is ability values for the monsters in the game. For example can i teach a Black Mage the Acid Ability used by Flans

FrozenDragon150

Er, something i noticed when using this, i think the ROM you're going to edit needs to be called 'Final Fantasy Tactics A2 Grimoire of the Rift.nds'

I first attempted it with another name, but it said 'can't find a file with no name' or something like that, after i changed the name it worked perfectly