• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:08:52 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

FFT Arena: Balance Discussion Thread

Started by FFMaster, July 13, 2010, 07:56:57 pm

The Damned

I'd be fine with a single target elemental nuke. It would have to be weaker than Flare initially but potentially stronger with Strengthen to be worth it, though.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

CT5Holy

Er, I meant the cross AoE, like the lower tier black magics. I guess single target could work.
Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

The Damned

I'm aware of what you meant. I was agreeing with PX, though. Sorry for being vague.

Only other "solution" would just be to off them completely either leave them gone or replace them with else, like Bio or something. (Not like Poison will be getting any use with Kiyomori's change.)

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

FFMaster

Poison is still ranged =/

Single target nuke sounds alright, but we already have Flare... I'm leaning towards 1 AoE like CT5 is suggesting, but either can work.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

Skip Sandwich

I like the idea of scrapping the tier 4 black magics to replace them with bio 1/2/3, preferably dealing dark element damage + status (lower damage then the standard elemental black magic, 75% power maybe?)
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

The Damned

When you get the chance, please change all instances of Knight to Paladin in the initial post. (Unless we're keeping the name of Knight. It's not like it really makes a difference.)

Similarly, Ninja's new Katon, Raiton and Suiton don't say what elements they are at the moment.

FFMaster

Updated the tables with what the danmed said

FFMaster

We need a new formula for the Ninja abilities. The current formula won't accept elements.

Skip Sandwich

the elemental formula will, as will the non-faith magic attack formula (MA * X), and the Punch Art formula, and the standard faith magic formula. Of these, I most favor the elemental or punch art formulas.
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."

FFMaster

I was thinking of using Punch Art formulas, but then Martial Arts boosted the power of the spells. I guess I will have to choose between MA*X or Geomancy formulas.

The Damned

I'm fine with Punch Art formula (though that would make Martial Art Ninjas even more bullshit).

Speaking of Ninja, I'd actually argue (as much as I hate to admit) that they probably want Two Swords Innate back. I don't think anyone's even used them yet, which is kind of stark considering how whored they always were in AI tournaments. They would just need to (maybe) lose some PA and probably be forbidden from having Martial Arts Support (and maybe but probably not Concentrate Support).

Yeah, that's a lot of maybe, but since we talking about Ninja and Ninjutsu (since Throw doesn't fit anymore) anyway....

Pride

Is formula 63 (speed*wp) no good for the new ninja abilities?
  • Modding version: PSX
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

FFMaster

It can work, but if the caster has no weapon (Monks) then it does 0 damage. I can use that if you guys like it though.

PX_Timefordeath

And if they're using Defender, which has the highest WP, with attack up... yeah, uber 5 range nuke, 100% hit.

Pride

• Modding version: PSX
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Kaz

Quote from: "The Damned"I'm fine with Punch Art formula (though that would make Martial Art Ninjas even more bullshit).

Speaking of Ninja, I'd actually argue (as much as I hate to admit) that they probably want Two Swords Innate back. I don't think anyone's even used them yet, which is kind of stark considering how whored they always were in AI tournaments. They would just need to (maybe) lose some PA and probably be forbidden from having Martial Arts Support (and maybe but probably not Concentrate Support).

Yeah, that's a lot of maybe, but since we talking about Ninja and Ninjutsu (since Throw doesn't fit anymore) anyway....

I want the 2Swords innate back too - like Damned said, as long as their PA is low (which I think it already is) ninjas won't be over-used.
to hell with you mustadio haters

FFMaster

QuoteAttack UP works on Speed*WP formula?
Yes it does.

My feeble attempt at trying to find the SP*WP formula to edit didn't work. All I managed to find was current damage to be dealt =( So that means probably using either MA*Y and risk it being horribly strong for mages, or SP*WP and be able to deal as much damage as about now, except being evadable and having elemental attributes, while unarmed units get the shaft. Using the latter would mean Attack UP and Elemental boosting will both work, and if you put it on Paladin with Defender... either way, I don't like either of those options. A 3rd option would be to maybe use Malak's Untruth formula, giving them power while keeping 40 Faith.

Skip Sandwich

oooh, I like the untruth option a lot, it makes for a very interesting secondary choice, and maybe even a powerful pesudo-primary if run on a 40 faith wizard or something
"Dave?  Are you there?"

FFMaster

/me prepares to hear a bunch of "WTF"'s from 10 speed Thief.