• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:04:15 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Would you steal 40 euros from Gamestop?

Started by Mental_Gear, October 17, 2009, 10:53:29 am

Mental_Gear

October 17, 2009, 10:53:29 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Mental_Gear
Today I went into town to trade in a bunch of old games and DVDs, and picked up 3 secondhand PS3 games and a copy of Phantasy Star Portable for PSP.

When the guy behind the counter scanned them all, he had to wait for it to calculate the 25% bonus on every item, but it has to do them all at once. The 'computers' there being rubbish, it took ages. So he apologised for the wait every now and then, and went into the backroom to label some games.

Now, PSN cards, essentially gift cards for PSN, which use a 12-digit code you key into the PSN store, arrived in Ireland about a month ago. Gamestop stock them.

Behind the counter were two piles of cards. The dickhead who put them there was thick enough to leave the sides showing the code face-up on the top card of both piles.

The cheapest PSN card is 20 euros, the only other one is 50. 2 cards can be either 40 or 100 euros.

Since the attendant had gone into the backroom, and my Dad was elsewhere, the shop was empty.

When in the car waiting for my Dad to return from Tesco after I looked at games in Smyth's, my phone's battery ran out because I was listening to music.

If my phone still had power when I was in gamestop, I would have keyed in the two codes I could easily see, save them, and claim my small fortune on PSN when I got home. However, with no power, I couldn't.

Would you have done the same?

boomkick

October 17, 2009, 11:10:38 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by boomkick
Umm, i really wouldn't answer this because this is an internet forum and Zodiac may have some problems with such actions being posted up on this site. So i have no answer :(

dwib

October 17, 2009, 11:18:11 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by dwib
I would have sex with a woman and have her make me a sandwhich

LastingDawn

October 17, 2009, 11:24:18 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Quote from: "Mental_Gear"Today I went into town to trade in a bunch of old games and DVDs, and picked up 3 secondhand PS3 games and a copy of Phantasy Star Portable for PSP.

When the guy behind the counter scanned them all, he had to wait for it to calculate the 25% bonus on every item, but it has to do them all at once. The 'computers' there being rubbish, it took ages. So he apologised for the wait every now and then, and went into the backroom to label some games.

Now, PSN cards, essentially gift cards for PSN, which use a 12-digit code you key into the PSN store, arrived in Ireland about a month ago. Gamestop stock them.

Behind the counter were two piles of cards. The dickhead who put them there was thick enough to leave the sides showing the code face-up on the top card of both piles.

The cheapest PSN card is 20 euros, the only other one is 50. 2 cards can be either 40 or 100 euros.

Since the attendant had gone into the backroom, and my Dad was elsewhere, the shop was empty.

When in the car waiting for my Dad to return from Tesco after I looked at games in Smyth's, my phone's battery ran out because I was listening to music.

If my phone still had power when I was in gamestop, I would have keyed in the two codes I could easily see, save them, and claim my small fortune on PSN when I got home. However, with no power, I couldn't.

Once again you show how selfish you are...
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Mental_Gear

October 17, 2009, 11:24:20 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Mental_Gear
Quote from: "dwib"I would have sex with a woman and have her make me a sandwhich

http://www.ffhacktics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7

Mental_Gear

October 17, 2009, 11:25:28 am #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Mental_Gear
Quote from: "LastingDawn"
Quote from: "Mental_Gear"Today I went into town to trade in a bunch of old games and DVDs, and picked up 3 secondhand PS3 games and a copy of Phantasy Star Portable for PSP.

Once again you show how selfish you are...

Can I have some other examples please? Aside from the day 1 ISO begging?

DarthPaul

October 17, 2009, 12:06:32 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Dude you don't steal from a game store. In a perfect world you don't steal from any store, but stealing from a gamestop is just immoral. How can you call yourself a gamer?

EDIT: Answer- I would have never considered it, but would tell the clerk about his(or his comrades) mistake.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Asmo X

October 17, 2009, 12:12:15 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
I've been thinking about what I would do in this situation and I decided that if I were you I would kill myself immediately.

philsov

October 17, 2009, 12:12:19 pm #8 Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 12:15:08 pm by philsov
QuoteWould you steal 40 euros from an employee of any company?

no.

edit:  actually, yes, I would, if I'm literally starving and could sell the PSN cards for bread.  But otherwise, no.   I don't know how gamestop works but I do know some management deducts lost inventory from employee's paycheck, and I'm not a douchetruck, especially over MONEY FOR VIDEO GAMES.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Mental_Gear

October 17, 2009, 12:12:27 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Mental_Gear
In a perfect world you don't steal from any store, but stealing from a gamestop is just immoral.

Why have you singled out gamestop here?

Oh, and philsov, there's a difference between stealing from an individual, and stealing from a large organisation that tends to rip people off.

DarthPaul

October 17, 2009, 12:17:07 pm #10 Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 12:17:38 pm by darthpaul
Quote from: "Mental_Gear"In a perfect world you don't steal from any store, but stealing from a gamestop is just immoral.

Why have you singled out gamestop here?

Any gamestore gamestop, gamecrazy, funcoland, babbages etc.

Do you really think it would be cool for them to be under scrutiny for something you did. It might cause them a minor inconvenience, or it could have major repercussions. In your area anyway.

Also am I missing something? I don't remember the :ban: emote having blood splatter.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

philsov

October 17, 2009, 12:17:19 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
QuoteOh, and philsov, there's a difference between stealing from an individual, and stealing from a large organisation that tends to rip people off.

SOMEONE has to pay for it, or has already paid for it.  The size of the organization and how much you're willing to stoop to their level over petty ideology is irrelevant.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

DarthPaul

October 17, 2009, 12:18:56 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
QuoteOh, and philsov, there's a difference between stealing from an individual, and stealing from a large organisation that tends to rip people off.

Contrary to popular belief, no there isn't.

Melancthon

October 17, 2009, 04:17:04 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Melancthon
No, I would not have done it.  I disapprove of stealing in general.

There is also a good chance that the cards would need to be activated at the register at the time of purchase to even work (whether you have the PIN numbers or not), so you wouldn't have actually been able to use them.  Unless someone else bought the card and had it activated, and then you used it before they could.  In which case you would actually be stealing from the individual who bought the card and not the company that sold.

Besides, the more people steal from stores and businesses, the more likely they are to raise the prices on their merchandise to account for the losses and higher insurance.  So in a sense, when you steal from a business you are stealing from everyone who patronizes that business.
Just a collaborator plotting collaboration.
"WHATS ST AJORA'S DEAL DUDE!?"

FFMaster

October 17, 2009, 04:26:58 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FFMaster
Thing is, that employee will probably sell the 2 cards to some other poor guy. You stole from him, not Gamestop.

Agreeing with philsov, I would only steal if I REALLY needed the money for food.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

akwikone

October 18, 2009, 02:05:35 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by akwikone
I agree everyone here, I might just be a big softie but I feal bad when I split a tip jar with someone and get the larger portion, let alone stealing from someone.

Kaijyuu

October 18, 2009, 03:01:36 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
Quote from: "LastingDawn"Once again you show how selfish you are...
Hey, he'd be stealing from Gamestop.

It'd be like Robin Hood: stealing from an evil tyrant and giving to the poor. The tyrant being Gamestop, the poor being himself.

Anywho, they have cameras. You'd be busted.
  • Modding version: PSX

Mental_Gear

October 18, 2009, 03:22:57 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Mental_Gear
Gamestop aren't as evil as most people make them out to be - but that's probably because I buy secondhand quite a bit from them and trade in tons.

Kaijyuu

October 18, 2009, 08:10:27 pm #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
Gamestop is kinda like walmart. They edge out their competition on prices with questionable means (in this case making ridiculous profit on trade ins and used games), and they kinda treat their employees like dirt. But of course, they have low prices.
  • Modding version: PSX

Augestein

October 18, 2009, 08:48:58 pm #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Augestein
No. Probably not. I don't see why I'd do such a thing. As a matter of fact, I would probably warn the person that other people might actually think of stealing the visible numbers. Then I would leave. After purchasing my games.

Plus, think about the poor soul that would purchase the card. He would use it and it would claim that it was already used... How sad.