• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

On the casual use of the word rape

Started by Melancthon, December 05, 2010, 08:16:09 pm

Melancthon

I don't find the word "rape" offensive exactly, but I do think it's thrown about much too casually.  Because here's the thing.  A friend of mine was ACTUALLY raped.  She was fourteen.  She wanted to save herself for marriage.  It took her YEARS to get over it, if she really ever has.  She might not be able to have children now.  I can't see the word "rape" without thinking about what happened to my friend, and all the hurt it has caused her.

My purpose in making this topic is simply to call your attention to the difference between being "raped" in a video game and being, you know, raped.  You can turn a video game off.

Discuss?
Just a collaborator plotting collaboration.
"WHATS ST AJORA'S DEAL DUDE!?"

Eternal

I agree. A lot of people online say things and don't really realize the meaning behind what they say. Not just about rape, but things in general. In a way, the anonymity of the internet brings out the ignorance of people.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Kaijyuu

To me, words are words. Combinations of syllables and/or letters. Nothing more. If one wants to read further into what's said than what they actually said, that's up to them.

I fully understand that people associate things, be they words, smells, tastes, etc with previous experiences. I understand that words can conjure up possibly unpleasant memories, especially in cases like your friend. This however, is not the fault of those using specific words and they can't really be blamed for using them. Politeness may dictate they not use them, but only if they know the circumstances.
  • Modding version: PSX

StarScythe

Sorry, but I disagree.

Words are symbols. They represent concepts, ideas. They, by their very nature of being symbols, are designed to make one think of the concepts that they represent. I say "popcorn", which is just a collection of letters, but you immediately think of what that word symbolizes.  

You cant simply discard the idea behind a word. Society in general is in consensus as to what "rape" is, or rather, to what concept that particular combination of letters is attached to. While its possible that some few are ignorant of what concept society has attached to the word, the majority is aware of it.

Furthermore, "rape" isn't just a randomly chosen word, but is specifically used because of what it symbolically represents. They know, in the majority of cases, exactly what they are saying.

Its not so much that these people ought to know what Mel's friend went through specifically, but rather that their use of the word is socially in-appropriate in the context that they are using it.

EDIT: If you dont believe that words have power and meaning behind them, go round to the ghetto and start droppin ni**** all over and see what happens.

Kaijyuu

QuoteWords are symbols. They represent concepts, ideas. They, by their very nature of being symbols, are designed to make one think of the concepts that they represent. I say "popcorn", which is just a collection of letters, but you immediately think of what that word symbolizes.
While this is true, words can have more than one meaning, and people can use it in a way where it doesn't symbolize something "bad." Let's use rape as example.

Lets say some guy in an online FPS beats you at the game. They then gloat saying they "raped" you. Are they saying they actually physically molested you, or are they saying they beat you soundly at a video game?

Now, politeness will dictate they don't actually use that word around someone who's been physically raped. However, completely abandoning a use of a word (whatever it may be) on the chance someone will be offended is going too far, in my opinion.

Understand that words are meaningless symbols until *you* put a meaning behind them. Words can evolve. What was once a euphemism can become a dysphemism, and vice versa. The word didn't change. Your interpretation of it did. Except in exceptional cases like Mel's friend, everyone can choose how to interpret any word, and they should always first consider what the speaker is trying to say. Getting offended because someone said a "bad" word without intending the "bad" meaning is ridiculous.

VampragonLord

similar to a foreigner who is not a native speaker to a language accidentally insulting a native speaker? they did not INTEND to say "Your city looks like goat shit", they instead meant "Your city has a great view". Now the native speaker may assume that the foreigner meant to insult the country, it is possible, but if youre all standing from a scenic view point, and he seems to be happy and looks like he meant to compliment you, jumping down his throat for the insult would be just as rude as the insult he accidentally gave.
15:05   slave: consensual slavery is the best thing ever~

GeneralStrife

I agree with Kaijyuu, they are words nothing more. People don't know your expieriences and what offends you unless you hang a sign around your neck saying this word offends me. I'm not gonna find out your life story to know if an obama joke offends you.

Dome

Quote from: "GeneralStrife"I agree with Kaijyuu, they are words nothing more.
This is the internet

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Kourama

Words are just words. Context and "emotion" from the person saying it can change what they mean, but on the internet words a definitely just words.

philsov

context and location are huge.

In general it's rather callus to use "rape" as a term of "video game ownage".  For example, I don't think many would use it in the exact same context if they were in a professional -or- public irl setting.

And while "it's the internet" using that sort of language on, say, a feminist blog or a forum dedicated for serious issues is just downright stupid.  Location matters, even on the internet.

I think personally the only time I use the word is when there's some sort of hyberbolic attached to it; like "raped my face off", because quite frankly that's so far out in left field that it significantly reduces the chance that I'm being literal.  

That said, I invoke John Gabriel.

edit: Same can be said for the phrase "rip a new one", but I suppose 4 syllables is too much for the damned kids on my lawn nowadays.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Dome

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Zuka

Words have power, they are no more than words, and in being such they are not in and of themselves the harbingers of their strength. We bring to words a definition, and a symbolism, words cannot be bad, context can be bad, and interpretation can be bad, but the power of words is that of knowledge and in truth, it is only knowledge that brings anyone any true power. Philsov has a great point in noting that saying something in a bizarre context has a tendency to remove a great deal of it's offensiveness, however the perception of those words by the reader is vastly more important in this. Which is why in the end, pickle has a pretty damned fine point to say we should all curse more. We need to remember that when used in the proper context, a simple fucking word can become tragically offensive by it's very st. ajora damned nature, but it is not the word, it is the feeling put forth by the person using it. I don't mean to say words lose their meaning altogether, but they become more a distinct form of expression, the more words that we have to use in our definitions of ourselves and the world around us, the better ability we have to communicate a thought and in so doing to share an idea that will grow across the globe over time and forever be a part of the knowledge bore by our species.

Fucking all words, be they shitty or hellishly bad-ass, are a part of the collective knowledge of our fucking species. And that is a beautiful thing.

Zuka

Quote from: "Pickle Girl Fanboy"Is English your first language?

yeppers

FFMaster

Quote from: "Eternal248"I agree. A lot of people online say things and don't really realize the meaning behind what they say. Not just about rape, but things in general. In a way, the anonymity of the internet brings out the ignorance of people.

Actually, I use the word rape casually in real life as well. I know what it means, but pretty much all of us use it as a quicker way of saying "you are losing so badly you can't do any worse".
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

Kaijyuu

Zuka's post is so bizzare that I'm not sure whether I agree with it or not.