• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:00:34 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Learning abilities in a set order.

Started by iakingdom, September 15, 2016, 03:22:57 pm

iakingdom

I have a rough idea of this project I'd like to construct and am analyzing which parameters I both desire and are possible within the realm of the game. the questions are:

Is it possible to have abilities require other abilities to be learned before hand, within the same job or possibly across different jobs? and which weapons can be used as an equipped requirement for abilities, only swords/blades or more?
  • Modding version: PSX
<Insert signature>

Xifanie

Learning abilities in order would require an ASM hack... it would be fairly tedious to code for the player, but quite a bit more trouble to code it for event/battle-generated units since there would need to be code to learn a skillset in a specific order unless you just have your skillsets nicely ordered and every "requirement" ability would need to be above the ones that require it.

You can set a bunch of different requirements, including equipment types, for abilities, just like Holy Sword or Limit would require with my Ability Requirement Hack (I advise against 1.32; use 1.2). My ARH2 is going to be a lot more flexible and powerful, but it will require ASM hacking, something I'm guessing it out of your league (at the very least for now).
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

iakingdom

Thank you for the reply, it's exciting to hear that my idea is at the very least possible.

To what degree do you mean "tedious to code", repetitive?, careful/precision? I'm less concerned about NPCs at this time, perhalps once I get a solid hold on what I'm actually doing, I may revisit.

Is there some form of guide/info on the ARH that explains how to implement it? or should I really just dive in head first.
<Insert signature>

3lric

iakingdom

I'd like to see it happen in WotL, as i have a personal pref toward it, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if the PSX version was all around easier/more efficient.
<Insert signature>

3lric

September 16, 2016, 01:50:57 am #5 Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 07:07:49 am by Elric
PSX, you can do this.

WotL, you cannot. unless you are a very very accomplished ASMer/Hacker.

99% of our tools outside the basic FFTP button pressing stuff doesnt work with WotL (including ARH)

iakingdom

works fine with me, I played the living hell out of the PSX version anyway.

Just read the new news by xifanie, my apologies for not specifying a version, however I hadn't actually considered it to begin with.
<Insert signature>

Xifanie

:P Don't take it personal, I've been wanting to figure out a solution to this for years. I just happened to think of something today, that's all.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

iakingdom

Anyone know a good site to host file downloads with a place for users to post bugs? I've seen one used before, but i cannot recall what it was.
<Insert signature>

3lric

We cant recommend anything that hosts things illegal to download. But it really depends on what you mean, are you wanting to post a ppf file of a patch or what? Otherwise this isn't even really the place to ask unless it's regarding FFT.

Either way, next time, start a new topic.