• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:04:44 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Source code for the event compiler and decompiler?

Started by nitwit, November 22, 2014, 09:22:36 pm

Xifanie

• Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

nitwit

Do you remember the structure of it?  What language did you use?

It doesn't seem very complicated.

Xifanie

Gosh, it was years ago.
I used Delphi Pascal 7 I think, and the structure huh... was really bad.

It's not a very complicated program as a base, it's just reading and reformatting text to and from arrays of bytes.
Without asking me anything specific, I might as well rewrite the damn thing just to answer you.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

nitwit

That isn't necessary, a pseudocode approximation works, abstracted from FFT opcodes.

Xifanie

Raijinili

• Modding version: Other/Unknown

nitwit

November 23, 2014, 04:49:01 pm #7 Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 05:23:15 pm by nitwit
LOCATE EVENTS
Load event file.
Create text file.
Go to event scripts in event file (assuming the event scripts are located only in a specific location in the file).

DECODE AND WRITE
If byte at current address equals opcode n, then:
{
     Decode opcode n and parameter bytes (if any) to english language equivalents.
     Write English language equivalents to text file.
     Append newline character.
     Move current address to byte after the last parameter byte.
}

LOOPING MECHANISM
Not sure how to do this, or if it's necessary.  Should I loop through the IF THEN ELSE block (which will be huge) for every byte until I read the end of the file?  If the event script is only located at a certain point in the file then I need to detect the start and the length of the event scripting, then I can set up a WHILE loop for currentAddress != scriptStart + scriptLength.  Actually I think that's right, a FOR loop wouldn't work because there is no set length of event scripts in a given block.  The variable length of parameter bytes means that in a space of 100 bytes I could have 100 opcodes or fewer.

I answered my own question.