• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

First attempt at spriting. Let me know what you think

Started by thebill11, August 05, 2015, 10:48:55 pm

thebill11

August 05, 2015, 10:48:55 pm Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 02:53:01 am by thebill11
Hey guys. I've been coming here a while but mostly just looking around. I figured I'd attempt some spriting and this is what I came up with. Let me know what you think. The Basch is basically custom but I used the portrait from the reference sheet.

Credits:
Basch - portrait by Twinees
Lightning - portrait by Twinees. Also using parts from Jot5 Ranger Female (Kagebunji/Twinees) and Jot5 Ramza (Twinees)

3lric

This is looking pretty good.

The part was made by Twinees btw.
  • Modding version: PSX

Twinees

Hey there, welcome to FFH.

First of all, your sprite for the most part looks okay but there are some small issues I'd like to point out. First of all, your palette will be an issue once you import it ingame, part of making sprites for FFT is getting them to match which isn't easy. But changing the palette so it matches is a good step in making them fit. So grab some colours from existing sprites (not ones from the forums, those already in the in the .iso file) and hopefully that will help. Keep in mind that the darkest colour/the black should pretty much always be either #282820 or #282828 (or RGB values of 40/40/32 & 40/40/40 respectively) although very rarely these values can be slightly different depending on the sprite.

I've also noticed that the sprite's head on the front diagonal view is slightly misaligned which is making him look up slightly. One of the easiest ways to check if a sprite is correctly aligned is using the arms/hands. So I quickly made this to show you what I mean:

I used the small colour for the eye, and the black dot that is noticeable on most FFT sprite hands to determine the correct positioning. Your head was 8pixels and 14pixels away from the black dot whereas the original cloud sprite was 7 and 12px. After doing this though, its made the sprite look slightly weird, like it's head doesn't sit right or the angle is a bit off! That's why its so important to start with the correct positioning as you begin pixelling, especially if you are doing something very custom like you are.

Other than those things though, the rest is pretty good! You made some good choices for the bases of the sprite, well done!

The portrait is indeed mine, but I am slightly confused about some of the edits you made to it. Some of the edits and colours are a bit strange, particularly the saturated red and the slightly separated skin tones sometimes. From what I'm guessing, the edits seem like they were intended for use with multiple palettes. However, you should focus on one palette for Basch in my opinion.

Anyway, I hope this helped somewhat. I may have come across too harsh maybe, but it's necessary and important to get the basics right!

thebill11

No worries. I didn't think it was too harsh at all. I actually appreciate how detailed you were with the response. I should have some time to work on it this weekend. I'll see what I can do.

You were right about the portrait by the way. I made the edits to make it work with multiple palettes. It completely slipped my mind that I did that. I'll probably change it back to one palette and the original portrait. Thanks for the advice!

thebill11

Hey, I finally got a chance to work on this sprite. I tried to make the changes you suggested. All colors in the palette are pulled from other sprites. I changed back to the original portrait as well. Let me know what you think.

Twinees

August 22, 2015, 04:50:00 am #5 Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 04:55:01 am by Twinees
The colours look great, it should definitely fit well/blend in-game!

Still have to work out the kinks with the front diagonal view though. In my previous edit I mentioned that the head looked weird once I moved it, and I realise now it was because of the eye positioning on the head. If you move the eyes down by one pixel you'll have more head room which is a good thing (look at Delita and Orlandu for reference). Also, have a look at Rafa and Malak on how the eyes should look like there are small very minor differences which will get the angle looking better. Actually, take a look at a lot of different FFT sprite eyes and you'll see the differences between each, its good to learn :P

References are really important! I've said it before but you'll understand why after a while! They apply to all the few nitpicks coming up.

And then there are only a couple of small nitpicks left, like on the critical frame (crouching down) his eyes should be two pixels tall. Check both casting animation frames (no open mouth on one of the front views and the back views don't have hair updates like you've done with the other parts).

Otherwise cool! I'm seeing the improvement, good job.

thebill11

Ok round 3. Thanks for the suggestions. I think I made all of the changes you recommended. I ended up going with the Delita face for reference.

Jumza

I'm going to toss in a crit here (though you're doing a great job and Twinees knows better than I about this stuff), the front facing hurt pose looks like his head is being squished a little bit, so does his back facing dead frame (the one on the right).

Otherwise this looks great :o
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

thebill11

Thanks Jumza. I made the edits you recommended. Forgot to update the water sprites when I changed the face so I did that too. Updated the original post with the most current file. Hopefully this one is about finished. Any other ideas? Thinking about doing a Lightning sprite next since there is already a nice portrait.

LohikaarmeX

I like the idea of a Lightning sprite *_*
I was looking for here everywhere, since i find the portrait that Twinees made, so i will gladly help you with everything you need

Jumza

Quote from: LohikaarmeX on August 24, 2015, 05:13:13 am
I like the idea of a Lightning sprite *_*

The newest version looks great! No squishy head! Excellent work :)
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

thebill11

Hey guys. Wasn't sure if I should post this yet because I'm still pretty early on with it. Pretty much just the walking frames right now. Just wanted to see if you think I'm headed in the right direction. I'm using a couple of JOT5 sprites for building blocks. The female archer as the base and the half cape from Ramza to be exact. I hope that is ok. Using Cloud's arms but I think they look a little odd. Maybe too big for a female character or something.

LohikaarmeX

Actually looks amazing. The arms looks a little big, but there armored right? So, there's no problem with that. It's very cool this early concept, and i'm excited with it *_*

3lric

QuoteI'm using a couple of JOT5 sprites for building blocks. The female archer as the base and the half cape from Ramza to be exact. I hope that is ok.

As long as you credit the artists of each sprite you use.

Jumza

Lijj

Woah I didn't even see this thread til now.
It's great to see some sprite work being done.

thebill11

Thanks guys! I appreciate the input. I think I should have some time to work on it this weekend.

Elric: I looked around the JoT5 board but I couldn't find who made the sprites. I know there were quite a few contributors. I'd be happy to give credit...just not sure who to give it to.

3lric

Look in the Jot5 sprite topic. It's probably on the 2nd page of the spriting section by now. I do indeed list all the credits there.

Twinees

Quote from: Elric on July 10, 2013, 05:05:55 pm
Ranger Female      TYPE 1      Kagebunji / Concept by Twinees & Kagebunji

And then the portrait for Lightning is once again mine :P

3lric