• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:21:23 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Wotl ASM hacking, possible?

Started by grimgigas, May 31, 2015, 01:24:27 am

grimgigas

May 31, 2015, 01:24:27 am Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 05:08:24 am by grimgigas
I know porting ASM hacks from PSX is currently impossible, but is it possible to do minor edits to Wotl ASM without extracting files from the UMD/ISO.

My reason for asking is because I have recently return to playing FFT:Wotl.
By using Razele's ASM Hacks list, as well as Raven's Workbook for guidance, I used CWcheat to find and edit the Pre-RawStat for new units.
I was successful in editing it but having to enable the cheat every time I want to play is getting annoying.
Which leads me here asking, is Wotl ASM hacking possible yet?

Edit:
It seems I did not structure my question correctly. I understand that it's possible to patch it externally.
I also know for a fact that FFTorgASM do not work with Wotl.
What i am actually trying to ask was the possibility of program to do what the FFTorgASM did for PSX.
Something like one click patch to the ISO using the xml file type.

Kaijyuu

'Course it is. The slowdown fix wouldn't of been possible if people weren't going around poking into the game's raw code.

Dunno how relevant it is, but I myself made some gameplay hacks to Phantom Kingdom Portable a few months back through injecting my own MIPS code. I don't imagine WotL would be all that much different.
  • Modding version: PSX

Zero Dozer

For what I know, the problem with WotL hacking is with the PSP-exclusive content, at most. The PSP version is actually the PSX version slapped into the PSP with the new content added around it.

The other problem is that there's not many people here that would venture into the PSP version. Many fans of the original loathe the PSP version, and there are good reasons for this.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

FrozenDragon150

Off topic and the possible cause of a flame war, but why the wotl hate?

Also, phantom kingdom portable gameplay changes? Now that's something i wanna hear! Could you make a patch?!

Zero Dozer

One of the reasons for most people here hating WotL is what I mentioned above: crappy coding by Square.

Others include people hating the changes on names and dialogues, which makes the game more akin to Final Fantasy XII (which takes place on the same world, only some thousand years earlier) and its "ye olde talke". On this one (about hate due to dialogue changes), I can say that the Tactics Ogre remake gets some hate for the same reason, despite being damn better than the original on a lot of things.

FrozenDragon150

Ah, i see...

I-I actually likes the dial-*gets shot by the combined might of fft hacktics and banned to boot)

Kaijyuu

Yeah, almost everything with a name had its name changed for no other reason than to change it.

Also the Ye Olde Dialogue was written by someone with no knowledge of old english. People talk with combined speech patterns of people from every social class (ex: "highbourne moppets are still moppets"). Also adding "k"s after "c"s is really, really dumb.

Zero Dozer

But certain terms like "Magick" and the such existed since Vagrant Story, which is also a part of the Ivalice Alliance.

Kaijyuu

July 03, 2015, 02:47:23 am #8 Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 02:56:10 am by Kaijyuu
And ultimately we can blame Aleister Crowley for that, being the originator of the spelling for his work in the occult. It was made to differentiate actual spells from stage magic, not be fancy and cool looking. These days it's 100% a stylization, and one I personally dislike.

QuoteAlso, phantom kingdom portable gameplay changes? Now that's something i wanna hear! Could you make a patch?!

It's not as fancy as you might think. Mainly all I did was alter the end-of-stage bonuses to give more experience at levels above 500 and also to give it to every member of your party (not just the ones deployed).

Making the changes is pretty standard memory tracing and was easier than I expected. By far the hardest part was figuring out how to actually put my code in the eboot (settled for having to put it in what appeared to be freespace but I was never quite certain).

As for distributing a patch I never learned what the most commonly used patch format was so I never bothered. 'Suppose I could hand out my python script that modified the eboot (all byte changes included).