• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:30:38 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

We need MOAR Monsters

Started by CONMAN, May 29, 2011, 08:33:15 pm

Eternal

Quote from: Kagebunji on June 28, 2011, 05:10:20 am
You will have to make that Generic a monster, Eternal. This sheet is for monsters, not for humans, I don't know how patcher and other stuff works, but I would expect glitches. If not that, then the sprite will surely bug if you don't change the type(but you know this, right?).

Yep!
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

CONMAN

I've been thinking about coming up with some new creatures and had a few ideas.  I wanted a monster sized cyclops (inspired by a smash image), but I really wanted to make something like an Esper Terra as well.  I liked the idea of a generic esper/psychic beast to fill a role like the ultima demons.  Maybe this is not well thought out (and I have been drinking), but I think it would be awesome if I could make a monster and limit it to like 13/14 colors and use the rest for some kind of aura/energy field for attacks/magic/defence.
  • Modding version: PSX

RandMuadDib

I like it. i think i like the one with the scarf better.
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

Kagebunji

The bigger size is kinda blurry it seems. I will find a ghost rework that Smash did some time ago, it will surely help you to set the face right. That hair thingy is nice, if you could make it move it would give a cool, ghost-like effect, but it isn't neccesary.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

MysticKnightFF5

as a monster, perhaps it could have innate mana shield/manafont and give it a shield in the animations of being hit. That'd be really cool. XD

GeneralStrife

CONMAN

A couple of prototypes... I thought I might retry some kind of esper/banshee on a human sprite sheet.  Also I think the 10 year old boy sprite would be a great base for a gnome/dwarf.  My pictures seem fuzzy when I enlarge them :cry:.  I have just been doubling the frame size in graphics gale and it seems to make everything look distorted... is there a better way?

RandMuadDib

supposedly its better to just zoom in and take a screenshot
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

Kagebunji

I resize in Paint all the time, only thing Paint is good for IMO.

CONMAN

I think this third try for a new monster is the one.  Working off the female rogue seemed to give me the results I want.  I'm imagining a perma-float and fly status on this creature and want to try some weird poses for it's various frames.  I want the critical ( I labeled as damage-d'oh!) pose to be a floating fetal position.  I think I might try something else with the arms... I'm curious if the jump pose is ever used during flight- I kinda want a batman style cape positioning.

This needs some work...one ugly head on the critical pose...  here it is... 

Kagebunji

Legs on first two frames might look a little too flat. I propose basing it off Rogue a bit more, and just changing the foots. Jump frame is rarely used overall, since monsters rarely have high jump, but once it is used it might be funny, hehe. If you really need some new and weird poses, I suggest you do it in SP2 part of the monster sheet, but about this later.

MysticKnightFF5

The feet do look like they were recently run over...

CONMAN

the recolor-copy-paste-thief continues....
I adjusted ultima demon claws and tried to make this look more natural...

Kagebunji

Definitly better. Ultima Demon might be a good insoiration for claws etc. I would like to see how the hair looks in-game though.

Also, could you post the most up to date version of Dragon guy?

CONMAN

July 20, 2011, 03:01:39 pm #54 Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 03:39:53 pm by CONMAN
I honestly hadn't touched him in a while.  I just tried to even out his front walking motions and I am about to test it in game.  I lowered his dead poses so they hug the ground a little better.  I seemed to think that his shield hand on the back poses needed work, but I just looked this morning and it looked better than I remember.  I think that his shoulder looked funky on one of the front walking frames (I'm gonna look for that again in a minute.)

edit-damn I just noticed I inserted the portrait incorrectly...

double edit- ugh- noticed the forward frame back spike looks funky like it should have some shading that isn't there.  LOL of course you can't see one from the back and I had never noticed...  I left this sprite alone for a while and had imagined it was more complete than it actually was...

Kagebunji

Sorry for late reply. To me Dragon Hume is pretty damn good. Why didn't you submit him yet?

CONMAN

Sorry, I have been lazy. I'm going to make a couple little tweeks (I've made a couple since my last post) and then submit it (tomorrow).  I actually got annoyed with myself for improperly importing the portrait (Although I had done it correctly with other sprites :roll:.)

Quote from: Kagebunji on July 29, 2011, 06:35:01 pm
Sorry for late reply. To me Dragon Hume is pretty damn good. Why didn't you submit him yet?

Honestly I feel the calibre of most submitted sprites are really good and felt I still needed some polish.

CONMAN

Long time no monsters... It seems I spend about 3 to 4x as much time thinking about monsters and concepts than I actually doing any spriting.  Half of that time I'm just playing around and trying to see what weird crap I could pull off or not.  Definately have about 3/4 monster concepts floating around in my mind, but they might be too wierd...

Anyway here is my current "Generic Esper".
-->Cons...
*Need to replace ugly feet/boots with claws.
*Back flying pose features a cape that is too big on one side.
*Attack frames ...garbage... I think it could make a decent energy attack
*Level up poses have an aura and maybe I should go a different direction
*Dead poses are kind of filler.  IDK, maybe if I shaded them they would be okay
-->Pros...
* I noticed Jump frames are pulled up for the flying sequence(3 for walking and 2 plus jump for flying)- so they are identical to flight (It actually looks pretting decent)
* I noticed the blocking frames are pulled up for casting spells so the aura looks pretty cool in game
* I definately like the critical/weakened poses

Mysticquest

I like that one, I'll try making monster's too then
.....you spellcasters and your words.....

Kagebunji

Um, is walking functioning properly? On two from 5 frames she has cape spread, I think I know what you want to do, but...

The aura is a great idea, however to make it really great you could use more shades, but later with this, how does it currently look in game?

Guess it is testing time.