• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Slowdown and Crash in Ch. 2

Started by Evil Midnight Lurker, October 09, 2011, 09:10:51 pm

Evil Midnight Lurker

Hello all!  I just discovered FFT:C and am ...was loving it, up until trying to go into the story battle in Araguay Woods, Ch. 2.  (ePSXe 1.7.0)

There's a dramatic slowdown during troop selection, then in the battle title screen it grinds to a halt and stops on a black screen.  :cry:

This only seems to happen in Araguay -- random battles in the desert and elsewhere are fine.  Is there some ePSXe setting that would help?

The Evil Midnight Lurker what Lurks at Midnight.  SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES -- I'M MAKIN' GRAVY WITHOUT THE LUMPS!!!!!

Cheetah

I'm definitely leaning towards it being an emulator issue.
Current Projects:

Dome

Sorry for the OT, but your nick is epic!

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Celdia

Give the settings shown in this thread a try: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=7128.0

And I'm with Dome. Great nick/avatar/sig. That was the best character in that whole show. :D
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Evil Midnight Lurker

October 10, 2011, 05:49:47 pm #4 Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 05:51:19 pm by Evil Midnight Lurker
Quote from: Celdia on October 10, 2011, 01:45:36 pm
Give the settings shown in this thread a try: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=7128.0

I've tried that before, but it slows all games down across the board and does nothing for this problem.

In fact, all the different video plugins give the exact same result if they work at all: I can go have a random battle in Siedge Weald or Zeklaus Desert no problem, but going into Araguay will always result in slow-to-a-dead-stop. :(

Maybe I should try running the unpatched original game disc in ePSXe to see if it has the same problem, but I dread the several hours it'd take to get there again...

Quote from: Celdia on October 10, 2011, 01:45:36 pmAnd I'm with Dome. Great nick/avatar/sig. That was the best character in that whole show. :D
I've been using this as a net handle pretty much since the show first aired.  :mrgreen:
The Evil Midnight Lurker what Lurks at Midnight.  SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES -- I'M MAKIN' GRAVY WITHOUT THE LUMPS!!!!!

Cheetah

You can likely use the exact same save file, and just use a different ISO for that battle. Or try a different emulator. FFT is pretty widely supported, and ePSXe is pretty much the most complicated of them. If you got that working pSX and others should be very straight forward.
Current Projects:

Evil Midnight Lurker

Quote from: Cheetah on October 10, 2011, 06:02:29 pm
You can likely use the exact same save file, and just use a different ISO for that battle. Or try a different emulator. FFT is pretty widely supported, and ePSXe is pretty much the most complicated of them. If you got that working pSX and others should be very straight forward.
That worked, thanks!  :mrgreen:

Exploring further, the problem seems exclusive to that ISO and Araguay Woods battle setup -- using an emusave to get back into the fight on the first ISO works as long as I skip the formation screens, and random battles in the Woods are subject to the same problem, but Zeirchele Falls is clean.