• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

R999 revived sprites

Started by RavenOfRazgriz, February 19, 2011, 06:59:17 pm

RavenOfRazgriz

February 19, 2011, 06:59:17 pm Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 03:00:42 am by Cheetah
I have finished sheets for a lot of the older R999 sprites once I put 5 minutes of color correction work into them. (A lot of the ones that look 99% done are done but have palettes mixed up so some pieces aren't visible.)

Once I fix that I was going to try and mangle portraits together for them since a lot of them are just headswaps with some edits and I know all the materials from first hand experience, but I'm pretty incompetent.  I can always do the color correction and get a base portrait mangled together though and give it to someone competent to make it look presentable if anyone's interested in doing that.  It wouldn't be more than a night of work if there's someone willing to add the polish if I do the grunt.  (Phantom, Hunters, Gladiators, and I think a few others can be 100%'d easily like this.)  

The others like the Hermits I think would be a bit harder to complete since the sheets weren't 100%, but they're still definitely worth completing.  If someone's going to do the polishing, I'm more than willing to do the grunting, sex jokes notwithstanding.

Male Cadet looks like a decent if simple concept, but I agree with Cheetah that the individual parts need some polishing now that you've got a working concept in mind.

RavenOfRazgriz

February 24, 2011, 04:35:32 pm #1 Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 05:16:39 pm by RavenOfRazgriz
Posting this in your thread Kagebunny since this is where the discussion about this stuff took place.

Okay, just started seriously chugging through these, sorry for the delay.  I'll have them all finished up by tonight.  Or maybe even an hour or two from now, depending on how focused I can get.

For now, I'll post these up.  Ignore the names and palettes (I renamed them and redid the palette for my own uses and these were the easiest copies of the sprites for me to access, will be the same for a lot of these), this is R999's Male and Female Phantoms.  When these are finished I can dig up the original palettes if people prefer those, they're likely better than mine anyway.

The Female Phantom is essentially the Female Mediator's head on the Female Calculator's body with a few alterations to the capes and stuff.  Easiest way to make a portrait is likely to follow the same schema, mash up the Female Mediator's head onto the Female Calculator's shoulders and adjust it to no longer have that awesome hat.

The Male Phantom is Aliste's head on the Male Calculator's body, though I'm pretty sure the cape is more heavily edited in the back this time around.  Again, the simple solution seems like the best one, though Aliste's face should be altered to be more generic-looking most likely.

EDIT 1:

The next set was very easy so it's going up now.  

Gladiator Female is Meliadoul's body + Female Knight's head with some color switches.  Again, I'd take the easy way out for the portrait since it should be pretty easy to pull off.

Gladiator Male is Orlandu's body + Male Knight's head tucked under his hood.  Due to Orlandu's orientation, there is no easy way to make this Portrait... though luckily, there's not much face due to that either, so making him look a bit more generic looking and changing his hair to be blonde and matted in a way more fitting of the new head shouldn't be super hard for someone competent.  It does look like in this case the male Gladiator is actually incomplete... which is strange, because they're just Orlandu's arms with the colors in potentially different spots.  This should be super easy to remedy.

EDIT 2:

Hunters done, luckily they also were nowhere near as annoyingly hellish as the Phantoms were.  Though, they also seem to be missing some rather basic frames that basically anyone competent could add in.

Both Hunters are Archer base + the cape of the Knight of the same gender, with some edited gloves and stuff.  This means the portraits are hella easy, just source the capes from the Knights of proper gender and fit them onto the Archers of proper gender, done deal.  Hell, I could probably do that myself but I'd fuck it up somehow.  That, and despite it seeming easy I have no clue how to fix the dropped frames.

EDIT 3:

That's it for the ones I had in my color correction cue apparently since I wasn't using any others, but I'll post whatever concepts from R999 I have on hand that should be easy to finish / mangle together a portrait for.

Paladin is a simple one, Bard's head on King Delita's body with some palette adjustments.  This one uses his original palettes for once as well.

These last two were just sitting there, no clue whose the hell they are since he never showed them to me way back when he originally made most of these Sprites.  Turks?  Looks like Balmafula and Teioh with custom bodies.  *shrug*

There are lots of other, far less complete things as anyone who has access to where this stuff is sitting knows, but this is all the stuff I had / could scrounge up that could be completed with minimal effort.  So whoever wants to clean and finish this stuff up and load about 10 sprites onto the front page for minimal effort, have a blast.

Cheetah

The palettes for all these are ridiculously GREY and wouldn't fit in FFT at all. A lot of them are rather hodgepodged together and the designs are generally not all that logical. Many are little more than head swaps.

They may be useful though and I appreciate you taking the effort to revive them Raven.
Current Projects:

RavenOfRazgriz

February 24, 2011, 09:54:19 pm #3 Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 09:54:49 pm by RavenOfRazgriz
Quote from: Cheetah on February 24, 2011, 09:18:41 pm
The palettes for all these are ridiculously GREY and wouldn't fit in FFT at all. A lot of them are rather hodgepodged together and the designs are generally not all that logical. Many are little more than head swaps.

They may be useful though and I appreciate you taking the effort to revive them Raven.

Like I said, the grey palettes are mine.

They're originally designed to use primary black palettes with subcolors of blue/red/green/etc. for the first six.  My own were just easier to access because I already had the spots where the palette was incorrect color-coded on them.  Once they're finished the palettes that R999 originally had can easily be re-applied to them, or they can easily be given new ones.  Palettes are really simple deals after all.  (Since these are mine, there's 8 palettes on each, so even just muddling through those you can likely find 5 salvagable palettes.)

And yes, a lot of his older works were simple headswaps, but they look great, which is really the important part.  Intricacy should always come as secondary to something just looking good.  He has far more intricate sprites but so little frames are actually finished on them, I figured just going through these ones and finishing them would be a good start since (my shitty repalettes aside) none of them are in any way bad even if just the result of some simple part relocation and pixel edits, so they're still a good way to get quick sets of generic Male + Female sprite sets onto the front page, something this site seems to be sorely, sorely lacking in from what I can tell compared to piles of special characters or jobs that have a male with no female or a female with no male.

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: dbp on February 25, 2011, 01:07:27 am
That is strange but, Even a head swap + new palette + new portrait give a fresh look.

Which was my point, they're not intricate but they don't need to be.  The amount of intricacy in the changes is irrelevant, the only thing that matters is that the end product looks good.  Hate to say it, but no matter how much you work on something, if it's shit, it's shit, it being intricately reworked doesn't make it less shit, nor does something being quality but simple not stop it from being quality.  I feel people forget this about a lot of things, not just Sprites or FFH in general.  If anything, simplistic quality is the best quality.

Cheetah

This topic was split so that it could be located and worked on as an independent project.
Current Projects: