• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:02:32 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

SCC Class picks

Started by Barren, July 21, 2015, 12:06:36 pm

Barren

For those who want to enter the SCC Tournament coming up in a couple of weeks, I think we should have a rule implying that only 2 of the same class can be picked. For example 2 people can pick a team of monks or 2 people can pick a team of geomancers. You can still have the freedom to pick whats best for you. The reason being is that this would encourage to have players pick different classes for this tourney. If anyone has a problem or is skeptical about it please post your thoughts here and this can be resolved
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

gatebuster202

Can this be dependent on the size of the competitor pool? Twelve is 2, Eighteen is 3 and Twenty-four plus is 4? (So that still forces six different classes.)
  • Modding version: PSX
Winner of the 2nd FFT Arena SCC Tourney. -Geomancers

Barren

Quote from: gatebuster202 on July 21, 2015, 12:12:46 pm
Can this be dependent on the size of the competitor pool? Twelve is 2, Eighteen is 3 and Twenty-four plus is 4? (So that still forces six different classes.)

Normally we like to have a block of players that is using a variety of different classes i.e. one block has a team of squires, chemists, priests, archers. And another block of teams etc. In the case of double elimination its just your typical bracket with a winner's and loser's bracket

gatebuster202

Quote from: Barren on July 21, 2015, 12:15:11 pm
Normally we like to have a block of players that is using a variety of different classes i.e. one block has a team of squires, chemists, priests, archers. And another block of teams etc. In the case of double elimination its just your typical bracket with a winner's and loser's bracket

Right, my mind was still on Round Robin, in any other case, we'd be stuck to two for certain. Any way we do it is fine with me.

Elmdork

I disagree.

if 8 people want to be thief, so be it. You can build to counter, knowing the current meta. The whole first come first serve is even worse. Get an experienced guy with thief or archer and a late registration choice of summoner or wizard? no thanks.
The bird of Hermes is my name
Eating my wings to make me tame
  • Discord username: rouroni elmdor

Barren

If everyone feels that we shouldn't have to be restricted to picking classes then so shall it be.

Shintroy

I'm with Rouroni on not wanting a first come first served tournament. If anything's going to be restricted let's keep it at items and abilities like in the other SCC thread.

I'm not going to make my team until I see how many squire, ninja, and samurai teams are made. I might not even try to win this tournament. I might just act as a gatekeeper for thief teams. Who knows.
Some day my people will be free.

Mudvayne

Is everybody opposed to letting RNG decide classes? I think that would spice things up a lot.

I just don't want a tourney that is going to end up showcasing only a few classes. I feel with the rng deciding, every class will be used and that can show exactly what classes need tweaking.

If no one else is with me on this, fine. I don't agree on 1 item/ability though, either, especially for classes like say ninja. Is there even 8 ninja swords to pick from?  I think putting 2 item/1 ability restriction may be slightly better.

Barren

You can still use Koga/Iga Knife and hidden knife + repel knife and dual cutter + platina dagger and Ninja Knife + Ninja Edge combo if you're asking about the ninja class. Even ninjas with flails can be fun to see

At least Thieves have some more choices.

gatebuster202

I'll reiterate my other post. We can run up a vote to ban three classes, one for speed, one for PA, one for MA, or just a two class highest two votes ban. Now, this seems far more fair then first come first serve. I've played enough Magic and Pokemon to know that the Meta must be anticipated by the TO to effectively build a fair tournament. (WH 40k could learn a few lessons.)

I can go either way on items, there are merits to both choices.

One ability is totally fine. Keeps the AI from going haywire.

Barren

Is everyone in agree with banning high tier classes of their respective stat?

Because the three classes to be banned as far as primary would be monks, scholars, and thieves.

Mudvayne

Not at all. I want the exact opposite. I want every class to be picked by someone, so we can showcase every class in order to help improve with the next set of updates to arena. I think this is almost a must.

If there are classes that no-one wants to pick, that should be a red flag. There should be no class that is so obviously underpowered to the point of not wanting to even use the class. That means this class is in need of an obvious buff. I don't really think any class is at a large enough disadvantage to where it makes things unfair.

Barren

That's what I had last tournament for that exact purpose mudvayne. If you look at FFH's youtube page I hosted a SCC AI Tourney back in 2012 going into 2013. Pretty much every class (except for mime) was showcased there.

gatebuster202

Lets do this. People can call their class preferences in two days. This gives us an idea of the variety. To make it easier, lets have everyone call two classes. From their we can see what potiential spread we have. Crunch numbers and do some thinking.

Heroebal

This sounds like fun. I'll probably just roll out bards since I already have most of the team built up with Bards-R-US. Just will have to tinker it a little to fit rules. I think i'll make up some other class themes too see how they are.

Jumza

If we are going 1 per class then I'd say go with Mudvayne's plan and RNG it once we have all the participants, if we are doing multiple entrants per class, I'd be fine with that too. But if we do limit just a little bit (say 2 people per class as was suggested) then we should have a certain day and time when the topic opens that will allow us to choose what we want.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Barren

I can open that topic sometime after we decide the actual rules of the tournament. There's quite a bit of back and forth going on. But regardless of how it will go I just want everyone to have fun

Corosar

I was hoping to build a team around a group of summoners... honestly if i don't have the right to do so... i really... really rather skip out on this.... i prefer we have the right to choose whatever class we wish...
Time for a new season!

V 1.4.1 W/L: 3 / 7
V 1.4 W/L: 3 / 14.5
V 1.39 W/L: 13.25 / 22

dw6561

I would prefer it if we could choose our own class as well. I was going to do geomancers because they are my favorite class.
This is FF Tactics. All the Tactics you can ever have, all in one byte.

Barren

You can still pick geomancers. I updated the ruling for the no jp cap to 2x abilities. What Gaignun was suggesting is pick 2 of your favorite classes and between the two its randomized what you get like odds and evens. If the majority would rather keep it simple and pick your class then that's what we will do