• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 03:03:38 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

FFT: Complete Main Info thread

Started by Cheetah, April 07, 2009, 11:52:40 pm

Asmo X

April 10, 2009, 01:26:16 am #60 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
Quote from: "Cheetah"Goals:
1) To insert the psp script into the psx version for starters. Voldemort mentioned getting all the new content in there, but I think that is perhaps to grandiose at this point.
1.5) Getting a majority of the name changes for skills, descriptions, and backstories also in line with the WotL translation. Or at the very least establish concrete choices between the two versions.
2) Get the story books that were removed in the US version of the game working and translated. Some real hacking skills would be needed to do this, but should be possible and would open up a new area of hacking for other projects.
3) Bug/glitch fixes. What would be considered bugs and which should be left in I think would be needed to be decided by the team who takes this on. But stuff like dublicating weapons and learning all the skills from a skill crystals.

This should be the entirety of the project. We already have a patch that attempts to balance gameplay. This should be a patch upon which other ones can be built.

Also, the only genuine glitches mentioned so far are JP Scroll, Weapon Dupe and arguably Blade Grasp.

Cheetah

April 10, 2009, 02:01:45 am #61 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
I would count oil not working a definite glitch as well.

So I just typed up the script from the psp cutscene and it matches up with the dialog spot on, fucking awesome. So hopefully I will have that inserted with a video preview and the rest of chapter 1 by the end of tomorrow if not earlier. In the mean time tell me if I made any mistakes with this transcription.

Delita
It's beautiful, isn't it?
Do you think-do you think Tietra might be watching this same sunset?

Ramza
Don't worry, Delita. I am sure she is well.

Delita
Something's been bothering me, Ramza. For some time now.

Ramza
Argath's words trouble you. Am I not right?

Delita
There are things beyond the power of our changing, Ramza, try though we might.

Ramza
Do not say that. If a thing can be endeavored, it-

Delita
Will endeavor grant me an army?
I would save Tietra with these hands, if aught were in my power to do.
But I cannot.
'Tis my meager lot in this life...

Delita
Do you remember, Ramza?
When your father showed us how to make a whistle of a blade of grass?
Current Projects:

Asmo X

April 10, 2009, 02:48:32 am #62 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
Oh right, Oil. Anyway, things like permanent brave/faith adjustments aren't glitches. I mean, once you go down the path of balancing things like Swordskills, you're opening a can of worms. The balance discussions had during 1.3 about them were long, protracted, thorough, and clinical. You could try putting forward another model for balancing them but you would be hard pressed to come up with better justification.

Cheetah

April 10, 2009, 03:18:21 am #63 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Video Preview Update: Reed Whistle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG5pLPFZYXo

So I just need feedback on typos and whether or not the structure of the text looks good (line breaks). The script itself is straight from the PSP cutscene and it fits perfectly so I see no need to change that.

In addition I have run into another small problem. Apparently since the psp is widescreen and the psx is not some the alignment and space of text may be off. So far the only thing I have spotted is at the event where Tietra is kidnapped (see below example). Now I'm just wondering if people think this is how it should look, or if it should be recentered? I believe this will be extremely easy to do either way.
Current Projects:

FFMaster

April 10, 2009, 03:43:11 am #64 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FFMaster
Ah, I didn't catch that. Playing at 200 FPS makes me lose track of things sometimes.

Anyway, I agree with Asmo for the goals of this project.

If the text can be centred easily, then it should be done.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

VincentCraven

April 10, 2009, 12:23:37 pm #65 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
Regarding above picture, I actually thought that's how it was supposed to look.  So I wouldn't change it even if it was as simple as a 2key command.

Quote from: "Sephirot24"To have a balanced FFT Base Patch you'd pretty much have to make it 1.3 but without the difficulty level...

Also Blade Grasp didn't protect you from arrows, so it didn't make it worthless; specially for mages and in early chapters.

The problem with Blade Grasp is that it DOES block arrows too.  I don't know what they did to the PSP version, but in the original, Blade Grasp claims to block everything but Bow/Crossbow attacks.  But whether it was made to block just Swords or only melee weapons or everything but Bow/Crossbow is debatable.

-make patch using original goals
-open FFTv1,3 in FFTPatcher
-patch this patch with uploaded v1,3

I am more than happy to discuss gameplay mechanics, but we have to draw the line somewhere.

I still think the Holy/Dark Sword being non-elemental is officially a glitch in the game.  
IIRC, crystal thing technically says "learn the following abilities"  so I'd go with what the game says unless there is clear evidence that the game didn't say what it meant to say.
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.

Cheetah

April 10, 2009, 01:25:44 pm #66 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Well after looking at a video of the original Beoulve Manor scene the text is actually off to the side. Why this is I don't know, because it honestly looks rather bad. But if that is how it was I suppose there is no reason for me to go change it. You can take a look here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MruASe8S ... 8&index=12

As for the debate as to what gets changed and what doesn't, like I said I am just getting a measure of what people think right now. I like your idea of the Holy/Dark elemental stuff Vincent. I suppose I should create I third discussion topic for people to voice this kinds of stuff more clearly.

Discussion Topic #3: In your opinion what are very clear mistake and/or glitches in FFT PSX US? List as many as you can think of.
Current Projects:

Sephirot24

April 10, 2009, 01:31:58 pm #67 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Sephirot24
It took a lot of time and debates on how to balance FFT and fix the glitches and problems it has.. and that Balanced FFT is indeed 1.3

If you just want to fix what Vanilla did wrong.. fix the typos (translating PSP's script will work..), fix the JP Scroll glitch, the Oil glitch, The sword Dupe glitch, set Gafgarion's equipment before Zirekille battle, Make Chantage's reraise Initial, and I think that the Holy and Dark sword thing may be right too.

You have to decide very clearly if you want to balance FFT (don't see that really viable because we have 1.3 already) or just fix Vanilla's problems and make a simple Vanilla Fixed patch..

beawulfx

April 10, 2009, 02:04:50 pm #68 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by beawulfx
I think the Holy Sword thing is a glitch as well because, correct me if I am wrong, if you wear a Chameleon Robe against Wiggy in vanilla he will not use his sword skills. It seems  like the AI thinks that Holy Sword is holy elemental and that it will be absorbed since you have the robe on, even though in the game it actually is not elemental.

Can anyone confirm that? It's been a while since I've really played vanilla and did that. If true it seems pretty obvious that Holy Sword skills were meant to be Holy elemental. And I'd assume the same is true of Gaffy's Dark Sword if that's the case.
My FFT 1.3030 videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 18EFFEA0AD
My FFT: Mercenaries videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 174F169EE5
My FFV Random Class Challenge videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... C9F3BD69BF

Kaijyuu

April 10, 2009, 03:40:21 pm #69 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
Quote from: "Sephirot24"You have to decide very clearly if you want to balance FFT (don't see that really viable because we have 1.3 already) or just fix Vanilla's problems and make a simple Vanilla Fixed patch..
There are infinite interpretations of "balance." 1.3's version isn't the one and only possibility.

That said, yeah, you guys are right about the scope of the project. Fix the black and white problems: glitches, translation errors (either typo fix or psp translation), and reimplement the features taken out in localization.
Leave grey area like balance alone; too much time and debate necessary.
  • Modding version: PSX

Vanya

April 10, 2009, 05:22:55 pm #70 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
I think that is a good plan there, Kaijyuu.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Archael

April 10, 2009, 05:28:05 pm #71 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Kaijyuu"
Quote from: "Sephirot24"You have to decide very clearly if you want to balance FFT (don't see that really viable because we have 1.3 already) or just fix Vanilla's problems and make a simple Vanilla Fixed patch..
There are infinite interpretations of "balance." 1.3's version isn't the one and only possibility.

Yup, I agree with Kaiyuu

there are millions of possibilities... it's a REAL big can of worms

in 1.3 we had to settle for a decision sooner or later, or else you would never have seen a finished product, but threads and threads of analysis, arguments, and theory crafting which are fun and nice but result in zero work done

Dominic NY18

April 11, 2009, 12:12:09 am #72 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dominic NY18
Yeah, this should be kept a relatively simple thing. If folks want balance afterward, they can do that on their own. This is supposed to be a base for future patches and projects, right?

ouroborosp

April 11, 2009, 08:01:26 pm #73 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ouroborosp
Quote from: "Asmo X"
Quote from: "Cheetah"----

This should be the entirety of the project. We already have a patch that attempts to balance gameplay. This should be a patch upon which other ones can be built.

Also, the only genuine glitches mentioned so far are JP Scroll, Weapon Dupe and arguably Blade Grasp.

I agree that its best to stick with your intended goals and not end up trying to change everything. If you dont keep a professional focus you wont manage to accomplish your initial goals.

That said, i have all of the dialogue of the PSP and PSX versions in text files if that'll help...

Cheetah

April 11, 2009, 08:12:42 pm #74 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Thanks for the offer Ouroborosp but getting the event scrips is very easy using the tools. Oh and first post, welcome to FFH.
Current Projects:

ouroborosp

April 11, 2009, 08:16:02 pm #75 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ouroborosp
Quote from: "Cheetah"Thanks for the offer Ouroborosp but getting the event scrips is very easy using the tools. Oh and first post, welcome to FFH.

yeah, having gotten them via that route, i figured.

Edit: i was actually working on moving the dialogue from psp to psx version. does this mean i can stop and wait for your project to finish =P

Cheetah

April 11, 2009, 08:53:05 pm #76 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Patch Update V.10: on the first page

The script for all of Chapter 1 is inserted. I still need testers to be taking a close look at everything and looking for mistakes, the more eyes the better though FFMaster is doing amazingly. I also need opinions on the Reed Whistle scene and the Partings scenes (as soon as I post it) for formatting since I had to rework these more than other scenes.

I'm going to be taking a short break to look into other aspects of the project and work on other things while people continue to give me feedback on what is already done.
Current Projects:

Smitson

April 11, 2009, 09:26:48 pm #77 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smitson
Quote from: "Dominic NY18"Yeah, this should be kept a relatively simple thing. If folks want balance afterward, they can do that on their own. This is supposed to be a base for future patches and projects, right?

This. As for the crystal thing, I thought it was meant for you too learn all abilities from them?

KazeKasano

April 11, 2009, 09:30:49 pm #78 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by KazeKasano
I'm using 1.3 in conjunction with this now, and I'm not sure if it's just 1.3 not getting along with Complete, but when I was in battle Argath's unit name remained Algus. Not sure if that's something you just haven't gotten to yet or an oversight.
We will build cities in a day, we will build towers to the heavens. We will be heroes.
This sleeping city doesn't know what's coming. She doesn't feel the heat.
Even when the darkness surrounds us, we shall light up the night.

FFMaster

April 11, 2009, 09:42:32 pm #79 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FFMaster
Nope, thats normal. Unit names in battle and everything else haven't been touched yet. Only the script from events.
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢