• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 01:44:47 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

FFT: Complete Main Info thread

Started by Cheetah, April 07, 2009, 11:52:40 pm

KazeKasano

April 23, 2009, 05:48:53 pm #120 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by KazeKasano
I regard the IA as the canon version, especially since the IA comprises the larger part of the whole in this regard. WOTL is also a far easier script to grasp, as there are corrections to the numerous mistakes and inconsistencies.

Also, where in the canon does everyone believe the appearances of Luso and Balthier fit? I haven't beaten A2 yet, so I'm not sure if I'm missing some important aspect of the plot when I say that while I take Balthier as canonical due to his exposure to the Cache of Glabados (which could have concievealby done any number of things to him), I find Luso to be there just to promote the newer game.
We will build cities in a day, we will build towers to the heavens. We will be heroes.
This sleeping city doesn't know what's coming. She doesn't feel the heat.
Even when the darkness surrounds us, we shall light up the night.

Dominic NY18

April 23, 2009, 07:05:41 pm #121 Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 10:29:07 pm by Dominic NY18
LOL @ Zodiac's explanation. I never looked at it that way.

Seriously though, "Altima" is one of the obvious errors of the original. There's no reason for it to stay.

As for Luso and Balthier, I always regarded their presence in the same way I regarded Cloud's presence in the game. Just cameos. But at least there is an excuse for Balthier's presence.

LastingDawn

April 23, 2009, 07:14:35 pm #122 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Though this raises the question... is Alma then supposed to be Ulma? Since Ulmaguest was turned into Almageist, if I recall? It seems to be one of those matters lost in translation.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

KazeKasano

April 23, 2009, 08:00:15 pm #123 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by KazeKasano
In this case, I think Alma is a better name. Period.
Who wants to name their kid Ulma?
We will build cities in a day, we will build towers to the heavens. We will be heroes.
This sleeping city doesn't know what's coming. She doesn't feel the heat.
Even when the darkness surrounds us, we shall light up the night.

Archael

April 23, 2009, 08:04:25 pm #124 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Unrelated: Alma means soul in Spanish

Related: I like Altima better than Ultima, Ultima is already the name of a spell, and Altima is the name of a car. It's obvious who wins.

Zalge

April 23, 2009, 08:47:12 pm #125 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zalge
I don't think Ajora has a gender. Ajora may have been born a man or a woman, but in the grand scheme of things, after s/he died s/he became a soul. No gender to worry about.

Zozma

April 23, 2009, 09:19:11 pm #126 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
i think alma was always supposed to be alma, especially since her sprite is called "aruma" in the battle folder. and of course that R and L switcheroo they do...

i dont know where they get "almagest" from but i just think its an odd spell name ,nothing more, especially since it has nothing to do with her.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Kaijyuu

April 23, 2009, 10:38:37 pm #127 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
Both Altima and Ultima are acceptable translations, quite honestly.

I prefer Altima because it simply sounds cooler.
  • Modding version: PSX

Zozma

April 23, 2009, 10:52:31 pm #128 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
I agree, even tho i think it was supposed to be "ultima" im going to leave it as Altima in my own patch as well

Cheetah

April 23, 2009, 10:53:05 pm #129 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Well I found an interesting list of glitches at the Final Fantasy Tactics Investigation Project page:
http://m-l.org/~greerga/fft/

1. Item duping using two different methods in the shop.
   2. Using "Fly" and "Float Boots" makes your character get stuck trying to mount a Chocobo.
   3. One of the Time Mages in the Deep Dungeon screams like the other sex.
   4. Occaisonally a magic-user has warrior skills (and therefore won't use them), or vice versa.
   5. Pressing Select on the Zodiac symbols in the battle preparation screen brings up a random window instead.
   6. Cloud equips female equipment like bags/ribbons. (Probably intentional, as a joke.)
   7. Breaking a katana doesn't always show the broken symbol.
   8. Switching between an egg and a character rapidly on the formation screen lets you peek at the monster inside.
   9. Advancing a chapter with people on propositions loses the people.
  10. If a monster lays an egg on the same day you get into a random battle there is the possibility that a character on your team may be deleted.
  11. If you break Elmdor's sword and then he uses Sword Skills... his sword appears in his foot.
  12. Have an Archer Charge, then steal his weapon. Supposedly he punches (you took his weapon) but he still hits you from far away (as if he was using his bow).
  13. Proposition reports occaisonally give success messages but fail.
  14. Sometimes reports "Thanks to Arc Knight this job was a success."
  15. Poaching a monster in level 2 water leaves the body behind to revive. "wet poach"
  16. The "JP Scroll Glitch", as described in detail on the JP Scroll Glitch FAQ by TheDan
  17. Using "Innocent" makes Malak's Untruth ability do no damage, even though it acts on low-faith units. "Faith" is similarly reversed.

This is good stuff, now it is just a question of which ones to fix and how.
Current Projects:

Zozma

April 23, 2009, 11:01:42 pm #130 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
weapon duping should definately be fixed so that you cant do it.

jp scroll glitch is fixed already, those two were the worst cheats as far as what you could get away with since with elmdor you can dupe things like knight swords and katanas

Dominic NY18

April 23, 2009, 11:02:10 pm #131 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dominic NY18
Quote from: "Kaijyuu"Both Altima and Ultima are acceptable translations, quite honestly.

I prefer Altima because it simply sounds cooler.

Perhaps the spell should also be translated as Altima then...

Vanya

April 23, 2009, 11:12:56 pm #132 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Altima always looked and sounded like a translation/localization fuck up to me.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Zozma

April 23, 2009, 11:42:54 pm #133 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
im sure it was, but now that they did that i still think altima sounds better for her

SilvasRuin

April 23, 2009, 11:48:23 pm #134 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
Quote17. Using "Innocent" makes Malak's Untruth ability do no damage, even though it acts on low-faith units. "Faith" is similarly reversed.
I think that was intentional.  I think the point of Innocent is to nullify magic and the point of Faith is to maximize it.  If that wasn't the case, Malak/Marach's magic would slice through Worker 8 like butter, and Worker 8 is supposed to be immune to magic.

FFMaster

April 24, 2009, 02:18:49 am #135 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FFMaster
Definitely fix JP Scroll Glitch and Item Duplication.

Quote9. Advancing a chapter with people on propositions loses the people.
10. If a monster lays an egg on the same day you get into a random battle there is the possibility that a character on your team may be deleted.
These should also be fixed, as they affect gameplay pretty dramatically.

Quote2. Using "Fly" and "Float Boots" makes your character get stuck trying to mount a Chocobo.
If it can cause a crash/infinite loop, fix this if possible.

All the other ones should also be fixed, except Cloud being able to equip bags/ribbons.

Also I'm adding another bug.

18. Oil doesn't work.
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

Zozma

April 24, 2009, 02:40:53 am #136 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
there is a fix already that makes oil work AND makes float weak to wind

also there is a jp scroll glitch fix as well

Vanya

April 24, 2009, 07:44:07 am #137 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Yeah, but the float thing wasn't originally in the game. I'd petition for an oil only fix.
¯\(°_0)/¯

DarthPaul

April 24, 2009, 11:55:23 am #138 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Quote6. Cloud equips female equipment like bags/ribbons. (Probably intentional, as a joke.)

The joke is often thought of as a mock to Cloud having to dress up as a girl in the first part of 7 though this is not the case.

He is able to equip female items because of the ribbon only equipable by females. The ribbon being a symbol of Aerith. At the time they didn't think of just making him be able to equip ribbons and instead simplified it into him being able to quip all ribbons/bags.

Quote12. Have an Archer Charge, then steal his weapon. Supposedly he punches (you took his weapon) but he still hits you from far away (as if he was using his bow).

I always chalked this one up to a pissed off archer with monk training.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

LastingDawn

April 24, 2009, 12:03:20 pm #139 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Well no... I think Zodiac once explained it to me... the real danger of leaving a chapter while in a proposition, is the fact that the character literally goes "missing". They are still on your status screen, but their status from thereon out turns to "missing" it's bizarre... and you can't delete them no matter what you do.

That's the real danger of the Proposition "bug".
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!