• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:56:15 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Final Fantasy VIII ASM hacks

Started by xjamxx, November 14, 2018, 09:00:18 am

xjamxx

November 14, 2018, 09:00:18 am Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 10:32:49 am by xjamxx
Since I am done with my FFT modding, I went back to another PSX title I modded a couple of years ago. Yes it is Final Fantasy VIII.

Unlike FFT, this game has a pc port (it is also on Steam) and most of the modding stuff around is for the pc version. Sadly the psx version (though it is moddable with pc tools, most of the data files are inside the big file) lacks of mods.

This is going nowhere, lets go to the point. I always wanted to change the maximum amount magic (9) you can draw from a foe per turn, but this would require an ASM hack and no data tool could help you here.

Well after a couple of hours I did it:

This is the first ASM hack for FF8-SLUS (AFAIK, if this doesn't count https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/197343-final-fantasy-viii/47719827), and you saw it here at ffhacktics.com.

The patch is attached below, its written in a xml file to apply it with FFTorgASM.
I also attach my notes to show how I did this.

Cya.

Current ASM hacks
Battle Draw Amount:
Changes max and min magic draw amount for battles. Also adds a draw multipier. Edit these eqvs if needed:
mx_draw   Maximum draw amount, range 0-100. Vanilla value is 9.
mn_draw   Minimum draw amount, range 0-100. Vanilla value is 0.
dw_mult   Draw multiplier. Vanilla value should be around 26 (26/128 = 1/5).

Rare-item all slots:
Now fourth slot items can be obtained if rare-item is equipped.

Re apply status effect:
Vanilla will always miss to apply any status effect if already applied. This patch address that, while not messing with auto abilities nor permanent effects.

Junction linked to Level:
Magic junction will be multiplied by level instead of stock as long as you have one.

Gil Multiplier for Junk Shop:
Changes the gil multiplier for Junk Shop. Edit this eqv if needed:
gl_mult   Gil Multiplier, suggested range 1-10000. Vanilla value is 10.

Level Caps:
Rewrites what lvl 251, 252, 253, and 254 do on scene.out. Edit these eqv if needed:
   st_lv1   Static level for 251, range 1-100.
   mx_lv2   Max level for 252, range 101-199.
   mx_lv3   Max level for 253, range 101-199.
   mx_lv4   Max level for 254, range 101-199.
   mn_lv2   Min level for 252, range 1-100.
   mn_lv3   Min level for 253, range 1-100.
   mn_lv4   Min level for 254, range 1-100.

Current Importable Inner Files
init.out
kernel.bin
scene.out
'..enemy..'.dat

If you have issues with FFTorgASM use this:
UPDATE (Nov 2018): finished all tweaks in ff8 too So no more updates for a long time.
  • Modding version: PSX
<Random> This seems to be a PSX issue.
<Elric> A psx issue? That makes no sense. Sounds more like an issue with your OS.

Xifanie

Even though there's a lack of proper analog support on PC, I only play the PC version now because of laziness, mods and no jitter.

I tried making this hack on PC (as well making the cap 255 instead of 100), but ultimately failed... and this would have been very easy and fast for me to make these hacks on PSX, but... yeah, I don't play the PSX version anymore. :v

It's still nice for people who still play the PSX version though.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

xjamxx

November 19, 2018, 11:15:22 am #2 Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 03:21:04 pm by xjamxx
Note 1:
On pc at least for draw you have: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=18383.0
Asm hack in pc may look a bit more complicated, but you have one big advantage: practically unlimited space for hacks, while on psx all is about space.

Note 2:
It was me or this site was down for 3 days or so?

Note 3:
I made some other hacks, plus added entries to patch some 'pc' (they must be psx version) files in the iso
<Random> This seems to be a PSX issue.
<Elric> A psx issue? That makes no sense. Sounds more like an issue with your OS.