• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Monster Test Battle!

Started by Skip Sandwich, September 23, 2009, 02:17:50 pm

Skip Sandwich

September 23, 2009, 02:17:50 pm Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 03:34:42 pm by Skip Sandwich
Okay, so I finally got my special battle data from LD, and was able to see the new demi-human monsters in action, here's how it played out. Ramza was a Gambler, Rad was a Dragoon, and Gaff was himself, the enemy side had a Skeleton, Goblin, and Mind Flayer

round 1
00: Ramza uses Roullette, slows himself and the skelleton, eats a counter flood from something, taking 60~somthing damage, ouch

01: Gaff moves forward and heals up ramza with a body rune

02: Goblin moves forward slightly and defends

03: Squid moves forward slightly and defends

04: Skelleton moves forward slightly and defends, my turn again

05: Rad's turn, too far away to do anything useful, he advances slightly and defends

06: Gaff's turn again, walks up the stairs and uses Abraxsas on the Goblin for 30 damage, Goblin activates PA Save

07: Goblin moves forward and charges something that inflicts frog onto Rad

08: Squid moves out and Aqua Rake's Gaff for 25 damage

09: Frog drop resolves on Rad, deals 52 damage, no frog thankfully, and Rad activates Damage Split, haha!

10: apparently the goblin had initial: Shell and the skelleton Initial: Protect, they wear off now

11: Rad's turn again, he jumps on the goblin (little buggy with the timing of the damage numbers/sound effect, but still really awesome animation) Goblin activates PA Save again, I'll have to kill it quickly before it's next turn and it gets to melee range

12: slow wears off of Ramza and the skelleton, Ramza's turn now, goblin has 59 hp left, taking a chance, I have him use Coin Toss, it works, dealing 82 damage and killing the Goblin! Huzzah for the Gambler!

13: Gaff's turn, Ramza is low on mp from that Roullette earlier, so I use a Mind Rune to top him off

14: Skelleton's turn, it jumps into the air and rains unholy hell down upon Gaff and Ramza with Shadow Lance, before teleporting back to the ground, in what is quite possibly the single most awesome attack animation I have ever seen. Ramza and Gaff are hurting bad, but I don't even care because that attack was so cool. Oh, and Ramza triggers Gilgame Heart, Wee.

15: Squid jumps up onto the stairs and Mind Blast's Ramza and Gaff, it misses Ramza but Gaff is confused, crap...

16: Ramza's turn, I check the at list and see that the next two turns will be Rad and then Gaff, so I go ahead and attempt another Coin Toss to try and kill the Squid, Ramza ends up killing himself instead, dammit.

17: Rad attacks Gaff to break confusion, spear procs a mp drain effect

18: Skelleton hits Gaff with Shadow Lance again, get's bugged up and stays in the air, Gaff is now in critical, not looking good for me...

19: Squid staff whacks Gaff for the kill, it's now Rad vs. the world, you can do it Rad! I believe in you!

20: Rad's turn, he moves up and uses Dragon Breath to knock the Squid down to critical, go Rad!

21: Skelleton's turn, he drops down from the sky and melee's Rad for 30 damage

22: Squid runs away and Mind Blast's Rad, inflicting Berserk...we'll see how this plays out...

23: Rad attempts to melee the skelleton for a measly 39 damage, gets weapon garded and eats a counter flood that leaves him with just 3 hp...this isn't going to end well...

24: yup, Skelleton walks to Rad's side and melee's him down for the win, Me 0, Monsters 1, let's try this again

Round 2
~one load state later~

00: Once again, start the battle off by having Ramza cast Roulette, it misses all three of my units and hastes all three monsters...damnit...Ramza then advances up the stairs

01: Gaff's turn, nothing to do so he just advances and defends

02: Goblin's turn, it runs off to the top corner and defends

03: Skelleton's turn, it moves up and uses Shadow Lance on Gaff for 64 damage

04: Goblin's turn again, it adances one tile and defends

05: Skelleton's turn again, it advances to one tile away from Gaff, and Shadow Lance's Ramza for 48 damage, Gilgame heart activates woohoo...

06: Ramza's turn, so I run up to the Skelleton and hit it with Coin Toss, which works and deals a good chunk of damage

07: Gaff's turn, so he moves to the other side of the skelleton and hits it with a Body Rune for 50 damage

08: Rad's turn, and he kills the Skelleton with Dragon breath with an 85% chance hit

09: Goblin's turn, and it's still just chillin up top and defending, not that I mind at all...

10: Squid's turn, and he again hits Ramza and Gaff with Mind Blast, this time, Ramza get's berserked and Gaff is unaffected

11: Ramza retalliates by taking an immediate turn and attacking the Squid, giving me my first glimpse of the new Card weapon animation, which is really awesome.

12: Gaff's turn, and he finishes off the Squid with Axabras, huzzah!

13: Goblin's turn, and it charges a Frog Drop on Ramza, which resolves immediately for 40 damage, no frog proc this time either, Haste finally wears off as well

14: Gaff's turn, he can't reach the goblin since the corpse of the squid is in the way, so he just heals ramza with a Body Rune

15: Ramza's turn, and he attacks the goblin, inflicting poison, the goblin counters twice for 13 damage a pop

16: Rad's turn, has nothing to do so he just moves forward a bit

17: Goblin's turn, charges Frog Drop on Rad

18: Gaff's turn, he impales the charging goblin for 72 damage leaving it at a measly 2hp

19: Frog Drop resolves, still no frog proc, and the goblin eats Damage Split and dies, a winner is me! Score is now 1-1, time for the tiebreaker match!

Round 3!
~Load State~

00: As per usual, battle opens up with Ramza casting Roulette, Gaff, the Goblin and the Squid get hasted, the Skelleton get's slowed, Ramza eats a counter flood from the skelleton for 65 damage, ouch

01:  Gaff's turn, he advances and waits

02: Goblin's turn, it advances a great deal and defends

03: Squids turn, it waits in place and defends

04: Skelleton's turn, my characters arent advanced as far forward, so it just moves towards the middle of the stairs and defends

05: Rad's turn, he can't quite reach the goblin, so I just have him defend

06: Gaff's turn, so I have him advance and deal first blood to the Goblin with Abraxas, triggers PA Save

07: Goblin's turn, so it starts charging a Frog Drop onto Rad (really seems to love that abillity)

08: Ramza's turn, he sees a charging goblin and attacks for a whooping 80 damage, but I forget about the goblin's counter, the first punch misses, but the second scores a critical hit for 44 damage, knocking Ramza into critical, ouch

09: Frog Drop resolves, and Rad is turned into a frog, not good

10: Gaff's turn, attempt to kill the goblin with a physical, but eat weapon guard, dammit

11: Rad's turn, lacking status healing, rad simply advances and tongues the goblin for 3 damage, eating a 30 damage counter punch, the second punch misses, but rad is down to 10hp now

12: Goblin's turn, and it turn punches Ramza to death

13: Squid finally get's another turn, and it aqua rake's Rad to death, Gaff is now on his own, i'm a little worried, but not as much as before, since he has Scrying secondary, so at least he can heal

14: Gaff's turn, so he advances and hits the Squid with Abraxas, need to take him down fast, before I get hit with berserk

15: Skellton's turn, the Squid is between me and it, so it just defends, rather then kill his ally to get to me with Shadow Lance

16: Squid's turn, it walks up and staff's Gaff for 20 damage, triggering Dragon Spirit, which is too little, too late, unfortunately, Haste does wear off of the Goblin and Squid though, which is a plus

17: Gaff's turn, and he Abraxas's the Squid down to critical, moving to keep the squid between himself and any potential Shadow Lances, since i'm pretty sure by this point he has good compat with the skelleton

18: Skelleton moves forward, and again, chooses to defend rather then kill his ally to hit me with Shadow Lance

19: Gaff gets a double turn here, I have him wait in place and use a Body rune on himself

20: Goblin moves forward and...turn punches the Squid? apparently turn punch deals water element damage, since the squid is healed for a small ammount

21: Squid's turn, and it Mind Blasts Gaff and misses

22: Gaffs turn, and yet again, a potentially killing blow on the goblin eats weapon guard, !#@$

23: Skelleton's turn, it moves into melee range and uses Shadow Lance for 64 damage on Gaff

24: Goblin's turn, and it Turn Punches the Squid again, it's now almost back to full hp

25: Squid's turn, and this time it moves up and uses Dominate to charm Gaff

26: Ramza crystalizes, no game over screen appears, i'm going to count this as a loss anyway, since it's pretty apparrent how the rest of the battle will go from here out

Final score, 1-2, Monsters win!

I had a lot of fun with this, and want to thank LD again for giving me the chance to test this out
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

Eternal

September 23, 2009, 02:28:47 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Eternal248
Glad you had fun with it. ^_^

Any chance that you can record a battle?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

SilvasRuin

September 23, 2009, 02:44:01 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
Quote14: Skelleton's turn, it jumps into the air and rains unholy hell down upon Gaff and Ramza with Shadow Lance, before teleporting back to the ground, in what is quite possibly the single most awesome attack animation I have ever seen.
That makes me want to see it.

Sephirot24

September 23, 2009, 02:53:49 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Sephirot24
That was a fun read ^^

It seems monsters can stand up on their own more than ever. Counter flood.. ouch. Now that HP is so much lower compared to vanilla or 1.3, not only we have to care about Magic's power value and weapons WP, but also stats like Ma and such, specially monsters who usually have insane stats.

LastingDawn

September 23, 2009, 03:06:52 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Yes, we have Vanya to thank for that! His journeys into the world of the Animations tab has helped us a great deal and will allow us to have many more unique animation skills. Also though Skip Sandwich was the first to receive it he will not be the last! I will release this demo come Sunday (no way I can really fail with that... I mean, it's already done.)

But thank you very much Skip Sandwich, I am very glad to see you enjoyed the battle. And once again Congratulations on answering the riddle!
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Skip Sandwich

September 23, 2009, 03:30:26 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
I like how the battle that started off with me hasting all three enemy monsters was the only one I ended up winning, it makes me feel better about my overall loss. Also, Coin Toss and the new Jump both kick ass, even though Coin Toss screws you over as often as not, when your fate is tied to needing someone to die NOW, well, the chance to backfire really can't end up with you being MORE screwed then you already were.
@LD
The public release sounds cool, I thought you might do something like that, but I wasn't expecting it to be so soon after I recieved my copy. Groovy.
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."

beawulfx

September 23, 2009, 05:48:53 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by beawulfx
Oh snap. New demo. Public demo. Color me excited and definitely plan on me putting up a bunch of videos if you want LD. If you don't... then I won't!
My FFT 1.3030 videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 18EFFEA0AD
My FFT: Mercenaries videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 174F169EE5
My FFV Random Class Challenge videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... C9F3BD69BF

MiKeMiTchi

September 23, 2009, 06:58:09 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
Good job on the riddle in the first place Skip!
Haven't read the whole thing yet, but they seem interesting!
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

LastingDawn

September 23, 2009, 07:07:08 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
It's only a savestate, haha! Nothing to be too excited about.

Art of War

MiKeMiTchi

September 23, 2009, 08:06:04 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
Coin Toss all the way, Skip!

Quote26: Ramza crystalizes, no game over screen appears,
hmm.. intriguing..

beawulfx

September 23, 2009, 08:12:19 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by beawulfx
Quote from: "LastingDawn"It's only a savestate, haha! Nothing to be too excited about.

You should know by now it doesn't take much to excite me when it comes to Mercenaries :)
My FFT 1.3030 videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 18EFFEA0AD
My FFT: Mercenaries videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 174F169EE5
My FFV Random Class Challenge videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... C9F3BD69BF

Skip Sandwich

September 23, 2009, 08:27:42 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
@MikeMitchi
i'm pretty sure that it wasn't immediate game over when Ramza crystalized because I was fighting on one of the tutorial maps that lacked the standard battle win/loss condition events to end the battle, the battle I won didn't end after I killed all the monsters either
"Dave?  Are you there?"

MiKeMiTchi

September 23, 2009, 10:51:06 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
^ I see. Thanks Skip!

So, based on your opinion and experiences,
which skill(s) would consider to be good for Blue Magic, so far?

Vanya

September 23, 2009, 11:47:39 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Quote from: "SilvasRuin"
Quote14: Skelleton's turn, it jumps into the air and rains unholy hell down upon Gaff and Ramza with Shadow Lance, before teleporting back to the ground, in what is quite possibly the single most awesome attack animation I have ever seen.
That makes me want to see it.

Yay! I'm glad my research caused a rain unholy hell on the player!
I feel strangely accomplished by this. ^_^
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

MiKeMiTchi

September 24, 2009, 07:17:47 am #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
So far, I think FROG DROP would be great blue magic. :P
And..

that Shadow Lance!!! Can't wait to see how it will look like!

Skip Sandwich

September 24, 2009, 10:02:39 am #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
Frog Drop and Aqua Rake both seem like they'd be good Blue Magics, they both deal decent damage, though in the battle Aqua Rake was dealing less damage, though that may have been due to faith or compat issues.
"Dave?  Are you there?"

LastingDawn

September 24, 2009, 11:34:23 am #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Hmm, probably compatability, Frog Drop is MA * 8 (all monsters have had their MA adjusted to ordinary levels now) and Aqua Rakes is MA + 5/ 2 * MA, so while it might be weaker at earlier levels, it'll pass Frog Drop in time.

Art of War

Luminar

September 24, 2009, 11:42:51 am #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Luminar
did anyone make a video of this, or is it a no spoiler thing?...

LastingDawn

September 24, 2009, 11:46:32 am #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
The savestate itself will be released in a week, but if Voldemort gets ahold of it he can make a fast video.

Art of War

Luminar

September 24, 2009, 11:50:00 am #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Luminar
Quote from: "LastingDawn"The savestate itself will be released in a week, but if Voldemort gets ahold of it he can make a fast video.

awesome, i have a feeling mercenaries will be completed faster then we think.