• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:18:01 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Progress in Mercenaries

Started by LastingDawn, July 11, 2009, 04:41:28 pm

LastingDawn

July 11, 2009, 04:41:28 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
I have decided to utilize a tactic I learned from my time as a Zelda 64 hacker, it was a simple and effective way to increase my limits allowed to by the game, this was called "multi-patching" because of all I'd like to do with Mercenaries, the multi-patch path seems the best way for me to get all of that, and more into the game.

This is the way it will work...

Chapter 1 - Patch

Chapter 2 - Patch

Chapter 3 - Patch

Chapter 4 - Patch

The reason it will be done this way is because of the immense possibilities that I couldn't make do with in normal circumstances.

This will allow me to add at Least ten new sidequests each chapter. As well as an unlimited amount of sprites, what this basically will let me do is use many different places where there wouldn't be space and reuse that space.

Just a quick statement of the chosen upon path of progression in Mercenaries.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Cheetah

July 11, 2009, 05:10:03 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Smart move, I support you in your decision.
Current Projects:

beawulfx

July 11, 2009, 05:36:45 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by beawulfx
That's a great idea. Makes the releases faster while allowing you to do so much more with each. Sounds awesome, and still very excited to play some new mercenaries action :)
My FFT 1.3030 videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 18EFFEA0AD
My FFT: Mercenaries videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 174F169EE5
My FFV Random Class Challenge videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... C9F3BD69BF

PX_Timefordeath

July 11, 2009, 09:16:54 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by PX_Timefordeath
Wow, nice idea. Allows you to do whatever you want, and then replace it the next chapter. Sounds like a nice plan, and can't wait until the release of the first chapter. Also, done .hack// style!

SilvasRuin

July 12, 2009, 06:19:12 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SilvasRuin
How are you getting the stats of Ramza and Rad to carry over between them?  How would a save file from the first, which had made it through all the story missions of it, not have all the story missions in the next be considered completed?  Will new files have to be made each time, or have you found a way around that?  Or do I just not understand how FFT functions in that aspect very well?

Aquilae

July 12, 2009, 08:16:21 am #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Aquilae
Well, I'd think the save files in between each part can be carried over, stats and skills will carry over if you loaded a save from a last patch. I tried it with different versions of 1.3, everything including missions completed carried over, only problems were the changes in skillsets which will affect the skills learnt. If the skillsets were the same throughout this problem could be avoided.
:gay:

LastingDawn

July 12, 2009, 12:58:03 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Quote from: "SilvasRuin"How are you getting the stats of Ramza and Rad to carry over between them?  How would a save file from the first, which had made it through all the story missions of it, not have all the story missions in the next be considered completed?  Will new files have to be made each time, or have you found a way around that?  Or do I just not understand how FFT functions in that aspect very well?

Yep, Aquilae hit the nail on the head, what I will most likely do is keep track of all of the Boolean changes made for storyline progress and reset them to neutral at the start of the next chapter, this keeps continuity but also allows you to continue to play the patch past the story, if you missed a sidequest or two.

Art of War

Delano

October 01, 2009, 12:53:06 am #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Delano
Hello sr. LD.
I'm brazillian, so my english is not good...
I read the messages in forum and fall in love for this game you've created.
I must say it is perfect and i want to play it, even if are only the demos, i
will wait for the game, so you can send me the links to down this game
or it demos. :)

jimmyjw88

October 01, 2009, 02:10:17 am #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by jimmyjw88
This is great idea. Able to do more for each patch by multi-patching. Very nice. ^^
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

MiKeMiTchi

October 01, 2009, 04:03:33 am #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
What if the save file don't meet the requirements for the next chapter?

For example, I saved after the first battle in chapter1, and then got curious with the next chapter.
Then I loaded the saved file into the second chapter. WHAT WILL HAPPEN?
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

Luminar

October 01, 2009, 04:17:40 am #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Luminar
Quote from: "LastingDawn"
This will allow me to add at Least ten new sidequests each chapter. As well as an unlimited amount of sprites

i love this idea, specially for the sprites...

MiKeMiTchi

October 01, 2009, 05:20:22 am #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
Don't forget that unlimited chapters can also be implemented!
Therefore we can add some "Mercenaries Secrets\Trivia\Extras" chapter. :P
After we beat the our first playthrough.

well.. like End Game+.

jimmyjw88

October 01, 2009, 05:24:24 am #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by jimmyjw88
Yes. I think that would be awesome!!
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

LastingDawn

October 01, 2009, 01:22:08 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Quote from: "Delano"Hello sr. LD.
I'm brazillian, so my english is not good...
I read the messages in forum and fall in love for this game you've created.
I must say it is perfect and i want to play it, even if are only the demos, i
will wait for the game, so you can send me the links to down this game
or it demos. :)

Thank you very much, there are a few demos out of the game but the majority of them are quite outdated.

QuoteWhat if the save file don't meet the requirements for the next chapter?

For example, I saved after the first battle in chapter1, and then got curious with the next chapter. Then I loaded the saved file into the second chapter. WHAT WILL HAPPEN?

The game will look for a location area, that wouldn't exist. It would obviously be very glitchy, I wouldn't recommend it.

QuoteDon't forget that unlimited chapters can also be implemented!
Therefore we can add some "Mercenaries Secrets\Trivia\Extras" chapter.  
After we beat the our first playthrough.

well.. like End Game+.

Eternal and I do have a few ideas for the "optional dungeon" (Won't be DD), which I'm sure should be a nice throwback to all traditional FF fans, but yes, in essence people can build upon the finals, but I don't think that person will be me, hehe.

Art of War

SolidSnakeDog

October 01, 2009, 05:45:19 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SolidSnakeDog
If the demo is so old, wy not make an updated one? (So we can actually help you better...i dont know, up to you)
Keep up the good work LD i look foward to see this new dungeon someday  8)

*Slow and steady wins the race*

LastingDawn

October 01, 2009, 06:23:43 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Well, I prepare the Demo's so they Are playable, if this were a normal patch, yes, no trouble. But Mercenaries relies on Everything based around the assumption of your party is Rad and Ramza, and I need to create scenarios completely revolving arond that. Which is what I'm in the process of doing, I'm going to relase a Training Demo as my next *actual* demo (can't say what I might do with savestates in the future...) but the Training Demo will give everyone a good idea of how battle is waged in Mercenaries.

Art of War

SolidSnakeDog

October 01, 2009, 11:53:43 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SolidSnakeDog
Must be long making completely new senarios for Rad/Ramza
and finding idias to progress the story in the way you want...
But im sure you will make the right choises for em  8)
This will please more that a few im sure.

Delano

October 02, 2009, 11:31:42 am #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Delano
Tanks man, now i gonna wait when the game is finished.
But I still want to play the demos to see how the game works.
If you have any demos avaiable, please send to me.(links for download, what you prefer)
My e-mail is delano_dd@hotmail.com
Maybe i could colaborate with some ideas about the game.
And when this new demo you've talked about gets ready(LastingDawn (Posts: 2474) Tu Oct 01, 2009 10:23 pm)
please send to me and i will be happy.Tanks sr.LD and sorry about the English(trainning it).

MiKeMiTchi

October 02, 2009, 01:27:01 pm #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
demo here:
http://ffhacktics.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 06&start=0

savestate:
http://ffhacktics.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 9&start=20

videos:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... arch_type=

..Don't let Sir LD send them to you directly. It reduces some fun and effort in your life.
What if more people would request that?? :P

jimmyjw88

October 03, 2009, 12:29:04 am #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by jimmyjw88
I still can't get the savestate to work right. Haha.