• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:06:20 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

FFT Arena on PSP

Started by dacheat, April 08, 2012, 07:34:19 pm

dacheat

Disclaimer: I looked at the rules and unless I'm missing something it only says that we can't link to .isos so I'm assuming that we can discuss things that involve them as long as we don't actually link to the .iso. Plus, these hacks pretty much require .isos so I'm guessing that this is ok. And yes, I do own a physical copy of the game.

Anyways...

I'm trying to get FFT:A to work on my PSP, and I've gotten the patched .iso and all that to work on my PSP, but the memory cards are in a different format than they are when using a PSX emulator on a computer. Does anyone have any experience running FFT:A on a PSP?

Wiz

AFAIK dacheat, no.

Idk why you'd want to run Arena on your PSP though? It's incredibly slow paced @ 60 FPS especially with the lag in skills :O
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Eternal

Wiz, you realize there's a patch now that removes the slowdown, right?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

dacheat

I'm using a PSX .iso, not WotL so the slowdown shouldn't be an issue (though I'm not sure since I've never played the PSX version on my PSP until trying to get it to work with FFT:A). But yes, I am using the slowdown patch on WotL, and if I need to I can apply it to the PSX version if that's a problem for it. As for why I'd want to run it on there, I use my PSP for my PSX emulation needs so I'm more experienced with getting stuff to work on my PSP. That and I've found that emulation generally doesn't work as well on macs (whether it's the hardware or the fact that not as much work is put into emulators developed for mac I'm not sure).

I guess I'll just get a PSX emulator for my mac.

I do have one other question though. I was watching Barren's "How to Set up FFT Arena" video, and the spreadsheet he used was different (I'm not sure if it's completely different or just an earlier version, but they seemed similar) than the one that is currently up for download on the "Team Design Tool" thread. This wouldn't be too big of a deal except that on his there's an area where he can just copy the savedata to the clipboard and then paste it onto the memory card in winhex. I can't find that area on the version that I downloaded.

Wiz

Ah, my bad ET. But even so, playing @ 60 FPS is still very slow compared to 200 (Which is what I record at).

And dacheat, that's an entirely different spreadsheet altogether, you want the spreadsheet that comes with the patch aka the memory card generator.

One more thing, for emulation, you could always run a virtual pc, wine32, and use windows programs and emulators that way.

dacheat

Oh wow I guess I didn't notice that when I initially opened the .rar. Thanks for telling me that haha. Now I can generate some garbage teams and see if I can get it working.

And yeah, I guess I could do that for emulation.

Thanks for your help.  :D

dacheat

Ok, so... Update. I got this to almost work, and I'll post a tutorial of how to do it if people are interested once I fix this one last thing. The save shows up when I got to access save games, and it displays the team names on the save, but when I select it I get this message "Unable to load. Data may be damaged."

Any help here? I'm so close to figuring this out...

Wiz

Save your file through FFTastic first. After that, I'm guessing you'd need to convert it from a .GME to the psp file format, .SYS, somehow.

dacheat

I convert it to .mcr and load it perfectly fine via CWcheat, but when I try to load the save it always says that the data is damaged. Also, I'm using WinHex to get my .gme file from the memcard generator spreadsheet. Should I be using FFTastic? I'll try that later today.

Wiz

Quote from: dacheat on April 16, 2012, 07:02:45 pm
Should I be using FFTastic?

You need to open and save it in FFTastic.

dacheat

Huh. Ok, that must be the problem. I was following barren's setup video, and unless I missed something he just saved in WinHex as .gme and that worked for him.

dacheat

OH MY GOD IT WORKED!

Haha sorry for the caps, but I've been trying to get this to work since I first posted this, and it finally did. Thanks a bunch for that last final piece of the puzzle Wiz.

Would anyone be interested in a tutorial or are y'all satisfied on your PCs? :P

Eternal

Tutorials are always welcome, but I don't see many people wanting to play Arena on their PSPs. :P
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

dacheat

April 17, 2012, 01:52:50 am #13 Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 03:05:08 am by dacheat
Haha yeah it's definitely not the most efficient way to do things, but I decided that I wanted to make it happen. So I did (with some good hints from y'all :)).

I'll write up a tutorial when I have the time. Hopefully someone, somewhere will be helped by it. I sure don't want anyone else to have to work this much at it haha.

EDIT: ****. Now it's randomly freezing... :(

DARKANGELUXZ

I think a more direct question I can do is:
may be able to create a patch FFT ARENA onion knight and the other job of fft psp?