• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:26:47 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Proposition (Report Job) Glitch

Started by Prouncer, February 27, 2018, 06:41:43 pm

Prouncer

First things first, I am still getting this problem without any mod and only using the base ISO. Still, I am hoping that someone in here has heard of this issue happening to someone else before.

Any time I go to click on report job for any proposition, the character text box pops up and then instantly disappears without showing anything. The game then sits with the music playing indefinitely until I shut it down.

In addition, when characters cast spells, the text box that sometimes pops up when they say thier "cast text" also disappears instantly.

I am currently using ePSXe with:
Pete's OpenGL2 GPU core 2.0.0 video plug in

I have tried messing with many of the CPU and Video setting without any success. Any help at all would be appreciated greatly as google has sadly not provided any answers that I could find.

• Modding version: PSX

3lric

You have a bad/dirty copy of the game image

Prouncer

Thank you Elric, your are always so quick to provide help. I have multiple disc copies so I will perform additional tests with that idea in mind!

Prouncer

Unfortunately I still got the error when booting directly from a physical CD itself with a different ISO.

I then wanted to test the input and switched from a Bluetooth controller to a keyboard. Still no luck.

I also attempted another emulator with no success.

I really don't understand it, but I think it must be something I am setting incorrectly

Xifanie

It's possible that your physical disc is damaged beyond repair. :/

Does it spin strangely at any point during the image creation process or when the bug happens?

Did you ever attempt propositions on the original console with that CD?
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Prouncer

February 28, 2018, 02:33:54 pm #5 Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 03:59:06 pm by Prouncer
So I found my other 2 copies since I have 3 physical discs total. One of which is nearly brand new without any major scratches.

I just tried the one in very good condition with the exact same problem showing up, and its too specific for me to believe that 3 different physical media copies could be damaged in the same exact way.

I do have a physical PS1, but it may take a day or 2 to find my memory card with FFT data on it (since you can't do props in ch1), but I will do so just to 100% confirm that this is not an issue with my game discs.

Very interestingly, I found someone that had the exact same issue a long time ago. He was unable to fix it though sadly

http://ngemu.com/threads/final-fantasty-tactics-report-job-problem.66551/

3lric

February 28, 2018, 07:41:43 pm #6 Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 08:30:40 pm by Elric
I can tell you its not a vanilla bug, as we've been able to accidentally trigger it by mistake while testing mods and ASMs in game. It's caused by derping something in tactext.

So if you've tried that many different images or discs, then either your save has some residue data from a mod in it, or your emulator has somehow caused some serious issues. I've been playing FFT for 18 years and never once have I had that happen in a vanilla game.

Prouncer

And that is precisely why I brought it up here.

I probably screwed up something in tactext that is un-repairable without a brand new save state to work with.

Well thanks again Elric as always and another thank you for Xifanie as well. You both are great and Ill just work on this later with clean saves.

Prouncer

Ok so one last thing as I have figured out exactly what caused the error, thanks to Elric who gave me the TacText advice.

I changed the name of several characters in my party using cheat codes, specifically of course to name them after friends and such (and not nearly as harmless as I thought)

This apparently breaks their ability to speak during propositions and freezes the game. This of course is not fixable as I do not know what their original names are and I would have to delete all of them and hire new ones.

This particular instance wasn't TacText, but without thinking specifically about the game calling text being the problem, I wouldn't have thought of the fact that I changed the character's names possibly causing an issue.

Thanks again for the help and I just wanted to give you guys my findings in case anyone in the future was having this issue.

3lric

Thank you for reporting back. This issue is likely caused due to only having changed 1 instance of their name and not doing so elsewhere or something else of the like. Tactext is a finicky bastard. Next time use Xifs text helper. Waaaaay better