• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 18, 2024, 11:49:44 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

How to make an offensive ability available when critical and target statii?

Started by Ansehelm, July 20, 2017, 01:28:02 am

Ansehelm

Hey homies, appreciate the help I've gotten here so far.  A few more questions for now...

How do you make an ability that only works when the user is critical?  One example is fft 1.3's defy pain, but I want to make an offensive ability that is only available when critical.

Also, how do you make abilities that only work on units with certain statii? e.g. to KO a sleeping/don't move/stopped unit but nobody else?  An example is 1.3's Damnation (KO's a unit with reraise), but the setup in patcher is less than intuitive.  On a similar vein, I notice there are abilities that only affect certain classes, such as Reis's Dragon abilities or seal evil - can more be made like these, for example an ability that doubles damage to undead classes or only works on specific monster types?

Danke,
  • Modding version: PSX

Heisho

I can answer your first question:

You can use ARH, is a spritesheet hack made with conditionals in mind. But this only works on regular action abilities. For further info check this:
http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=7344.0

I hope this can help you with your first request.
Grrr, arwg, hiss, and some other zombie noises...
  • Discord username: Heisho

Ansehelm

Hmm, this looks promising. However I'm confused as to where conditions other than items equipped come into play - that part is as simple as 0s or 1s.  Do you know how/where I would specify a status?  I assume it would be under the Conditions/Value 1 area, but I really have no idea what type of input it's looking for.

Xifanie

You can specify a status in my original sheet (v1.1), but I know in that case, the AI ignores the status requirements if you use auto-battle.

Messing around with Pokeytax's spreadsheet, it's not even possible to accomplish with his sheet. In fact, as far as I can tell, his entire Conditions section is broken (the xml code doesn't change no matter if I choose =/!=/>/</>=/<=/FLAGGED/NOT FLAGGED), and thus just makes it one huge downgrade compared to my spreadsheet. Oh, actually you can just select Status / FLAGGED and then type Regen under Value 2 for my above example. I don't know if the hack actually works, but the spreadsheet does compile that way at least.

You could also make it work properly if you waited for my ARH2 and coded it yourself through ASM.

Regardless, you would still have to ASM a formula that returns 0% to hit if the target doesn't have the required statuses.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Ansehelm

Ok, I see those options now, and the hex it generates. I'm definitely a newbie with spreadsheets though - I find hexing a lot more intuitive because there's no behind-the-scenes magic, and in this case I'm not sure where to paste it - just pasting the text in the xml tab to the specified offsets makes FFT not work, but saving the data in the xml tab and putting it in the FFTorgAsm folder doesn't get it recognized. So...how do you actually apply the patch for the most recent spreadsheet? Or if your new one will be more user-friendly I might take a look at it.

Xifanie

ARH2 will only be available once Journey of the Five: Chapter 2 will be released, and it will be user-friendly for ASM hackers, but... completely useless for people who are not willing to learn to ASM. I went with that because just about everyone wants their own custom requirements for the ARH.

Are you sure you selected the whole xml data in his sheet? It ends at row 1118. So from A1 to A1118. You can just select cell A1, then press ctrl+shift+down to select it all. You're supposed to just paste it in an empty file as save as whatever.xml, then you should be able to apply it. If it still doesn't work, post here again and I'll look into it.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Ansehelm

Xifanie, you're a beautiful person.  Let's take a long walk on the beach sometime - and I'll let you be in my dream if you let me be in yours.  ;)

Elric

Quote from: Ansehelm on July 20, 2017, 02:51:05 pm
Xifanie, you're a beautiful person.  Let's take a long walk on the beach sometime - and I'll let you be in my dream if you let me be in yours.  ;)

Kinda doubt her wife would he okay with that, lol

Angel

* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Ansehelm

Well, I've certainly learned a lot today...perhaps more than I bargained for.  In my wilder days  :twisted: I might have said sharing is caring, and that just because there's a goalie...but I'll settle for sending some grateful vibes that Plato would be proud of.   :cool: :cool: :cool:

Anyway, one final question - the info on how to input status was very useful, but I'm a little unsure of how to make the other options work.  The weapon options and numerical options seem pretty intuitive, e.g. it only works if PA is at a certain level, but I'm wondering if y'all could guide me briefly through how some of the other options work.  Specifically I'm looking to make an ability (joust) that only works when the user is on a mount, but I can't figure out a setup that works.   Mount and flagged mount don't seem to do anything.