• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 12:20:48 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Trouble displaying a job class with varying palette colors

Started by Ansehelm, July 16, 2017, 12:27:58 am

Ansehelm

Hola all,
Pregunta - so I've been making new spritesheets and palettes and trying to have units of the same job class appear with several possible palettes (much like generics have different colors for friends and foes/different teams), but they always have the same palette. I know there's a section in FFTpatcher for palette in ENTD, but it doesn't seem to work.  Any insights?
  • Modding version: PSX

Xifanie

Look for my palette hacks in FFTorgASM. Special (non-generic) jobs are forced to use the first palette and generic monsters are forced to use the palette assigned in their job. My hacks allows you to enable the extra palettes of special units, but you'll have to be careful, because for some reason, many special units throughout the story are set to palette 1 or 2 instead of 0, making them essentially pure black by default once you turn on my hack.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Ansehelm

Fantastic! It works just as I'd hoped.  And switching the palettes back to zero is comparatively nothing, but thanks for the heads up.  :cool:  :v/:

Ansehelm

Heyo, follow up question on this.  I know this thread hasn't been posted in for a while, but this is relevant & I think it's better to have the info all in one place.  So I tried Xif's hack and it works as mentioned, the one hangup is that the portrait palettes do not seem to be affected by the hack, i.e. the portrait colors for units still use the first palette regardless of which palette the rest of the unit uses.  Example here: https://ibb.co/grqPGCb

Anyway, wondering if there is any further development into this in terms of allowing the portraits to benefit from this hack as well.

Danke

Xifanie

Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

Ansehelm

It's just with repurposed special units since I think generics are already coded with that.  The units I see it with are approximately in the 40-60ish range in patcher and Shishi, but also include some of the earlier slots (Olan, Funeral, etc)

Xifanie

Are you also using the hack titled "Activate Paletted Portraits for Special Units"?

Ansehelm

:oops:  Well, once again, you are the hero that Gotham needs.  That solved it. :)   :v/:

A final question - I'm trying to maximize the number of unique spritesheets, so I've consolidated the dragon sprites (normal, blue and red) on the same spritesheet as Reis's Holy Dragon (#48).  The dragons appear normal in battle, but if you invite one of any color, they revert to the base purple color while in your party.  It seems that only the default monster spritesheets (86-99) are coded to read the Monster Palette # in FFTP.  I'm sure that this is possible given what has already been accomplished, but I don't know of any existing hacks that change that.  Any leads?