• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 18, 2024, 10:32:06 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Weapon behavior

Started by Heisho, July 15, 2017, 12:40:06 am

Heisho

July 15, 2017, 12:40:06 am Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 08:15:23 pm by Heisho
Greetings everyone.
I was wondering if there is a way to set a weapon on the patcher as one category (for example a Flail) and to behave like another in the game (like a sword). And I mean in the whole sense (animation, sound effect, etc) It's like if there was a duplicate category.
I know about Raven tools which are awesome, but as far as I have understand you change weapon in-battle sprites, formulas but I don't know if is possible to convert a whole category to another.

Thanks to anybody that can provide hints or info.

Regards.
  • Modding version: PSX
Grrr, arwg, hiss, and some other zombie noises...
  • Discord username: Heisho

Heisho

Or at least link an item to a job or unit? Kinda like the perfumes on females or the Onion Knight equipment on PSP.

Nyzer

Pretty sure the answer in both cases is just "through ASM". You can do some of what you wanted without it, but you can't change the weapon type's formula (though you can change the specific weapon's formula to match Holy Sword skills and it mostly perfectly matches the sword damage formula) or sound effect, IIRC.

And if the ASM to do that doesn't exist already, it would have to be made.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

RavenOfRazgriz

Are you trying to turn Flails into Swords, or Flails into a new weapon type that uses Sword animations?

If you just want to turn them into more Swords, just make all the appropriate changes in my workbooks, followed by setting their Weapon Type to Sword in FFTPatcher.

If you want them to be an entirely different weapon category that just operates as a Sword duplicate, you're out of luck because the Weapon Type controls the set of attacking animations that are loaded.  As far as I know, no one's documented where the game loads attacking animation based on weapon type.  This means that Flails and Axes can be intermixed because they reference the same part of the SPR but Flails and Swords cannot be.  If you want a "duplicate" sword class in this sense, you'll have to make it work via changing the existing Sword-animating archetypes, aka Sword / Knightsword / Ninjasword / Katana / Rod / Staff.

Heisho

Thanks a lot Raven. That answers my question. Too bad about the "duplication".

Since you surely know a lot of ASM please enlight me: is there a way to lock a weapon or piece of equipment to a certain class or unit?

Xifanie

He doesn't ASM and I'm pretty damn sure that's never been done before.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Heisho

My apologies then. I hope someone can bring some light on this.

Xifanie

Well, you can dump your idea in the ASM Requests topic amongst the dozen other requests that were ignored and hope for the best, do it yourself, or forget about the idea entirely.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful