• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 18, 2024, 11:33:36 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

fftactext - what prevents errors? especially DTE for ... failed

Started by Holy Knight Wiegraf, June 18, 2017, 07:02:35 pm

Holy Knight Wiegraf

June 18, 2017, 07:02:35 pm Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 02:34:48 pm by Holy Knight Wiegraf
hi There!

i have been searching in some threads and i am having the same problem which other ppl have. But saving the tactext file, repoen tactext, open the file and patch the image doesnt work. The image already has been patched with the psp translation.

and i experimented a lot, but couldnt get my image file patched. i am using version 0.457 or the latest one. But i tried others as well. and i read in other threads that the psx version of the game doesnt have the crystallisation problem. correct? and thats why i would like
to ask for help. I dont know how solve this myself.

What things should I know to prevent tactext from shouting errors and me from working fine without errors?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Xifanie

DTE failed means you are using so much text in that section, that even with DTE compression it doesn't fit. But with the WotL version there might be something more to it than that. It's just that no one knows what.

Also, in general TacText works way better for the PSX version and no, it doesn't have the crystallization bug.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Holy Knight Wiegraf

ah cool. Thx. if thats all i have to keep in mind, i should easily be able to handle this.
I tried to shorten the text and lower width. WLDHELP.LZW was compressed ok after i cut a little bit of text.
But there are some difficulties i found in OPEN.LZW for example:
What if i have to deal with a mix of japanese text and other text like in 26: sound text comments ? Or similar text where i dont know what it stands for, so that i cannot know with what i should replace that text?

Nyzer

... How many times do you see kanji in any NA version of FFT? And even if you did, it's not as if you'd have anything to lose by cutting it unless you're presenting it to someone who can read Japanese.

Holy Knight Wiegraf

thats obvious so far. But what does it stand for ? Where do i read them ingame? I didnt visit sound test in the past. If I know what text is written there normally, then i would be able to edit successfully. I mean, we dont read these Kanji in the game correct? I know that i should cut it unless i wanna keep that DTE error. Xifanies post showed me that clearly and I had success with WLDHELP.LZW. But if I know the english text, then i can think of a shorter text and continue. Wouldnt look good in the game if I cut the text and i would read ??? instead of proper text until i know what text is supposed to be written there.

26: sound test comment.

when you are in sound test mode, Ramza says: sound x0001 (for example).
Is that what should be standing here?

Nyzer

Well... yes. Because it's the test for Sound 0001.

If you're curious about the text of the sound test, don't just come here and say "I've never visited it before"; go visit it.

It's strange that it's not working for you after cutting the kanji, though. That already gives you a lot.

Holy Knight Wiegraf

I did it. I cut the text and the image was patched successfully. No problems there. In the future i should be able to patch my images.
I never said that i wont be able to patch it. Since Xifanies post I immediately understood how it works.

And since I now know that the western releases dont have this sound test in them, I am very happy because i can save much textspace.

Thx Xifanie for helping me out.

Xifanie

• Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful