• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:43:26 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Way To Hack Characters into Your Party?

Started by Bladedwind, May 27, 2017, 01:04:44 pm

Bladedwind

I've been looking around for ages for a method to get characters like Gaffgarion, Zalbag, Dycedarg and more into my party for this game, yet I can't find any. I have emulations for both the PSX and PSP versions, and it would be a nice way to start up a new game to freshen things up, as I'm almost done with my play through on my PSP hard copy of the game.  (Should be noted that I would much prefer to hack the WotL version since it has more content)
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Nyzer

It's as simple as checking a box for that character in the ENTD tab of FFTPatcher. "Join after Event".

However, they would of course need to be alive at the end of the event. Their party formation sprites will be wrong, and correcting those is a pain. Also, you wouldn't want to get those characters to join before their final canon appearance in-game, or some of the storyline events would probably bork them up real well.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Bladedwind

Thank you VERY much. This is going to make play throughs rather interesting. Heck, in some cases, it even makes sense, like if I want Gaffgarion after the Lional Gate fight.

3lric

Quote from: Bladedwind on May 27, 2017, 01:35:01 pm
Thank you VERY much. This is going to make play throughs rather interesting. Heck, in some cases, it even makes sense, like if I want Gaffgarion after the Lional Gate fight.

You'd need to edit the attack.out to make his death not a condition or the conditional event to not crystalize him though. I can't honestly see how it makes sense, given his stance and i don't think Ramza will be paying him to join up, but im not here to judge ideas, just correct misconceptions.

No one makes events or ASMs for the PSP version of the game, though it's possible, those of us who do things, just, don't. I'd be happy if you'd prove me wrong though.
  • Modding version: PSX

Bladedwind

True. I might use it for a different battle then. I'm not really experienced with the program in full. I'll try and fiddle around with a separate copied file so I don't mess up the game overall.

Also when I said it "makes sense" I meant more in terms of the fact that Gaffgarion is no longer in the story after that battle. I'm sure SOMEONE somewhere could write up a reason story wise (hell I'm sure even I could) but I'm more interested in the game play aspect of it right now.

One thing to note is I checked off the "Join After Event" for the opening stage at Orbonne, but Gaffgarion didn't show during my line up during the start of Chapter 1. Does that mean it does not work, or perhaps he doesn't join until after Chapter 1 when I get Ladd, Lavian, and Alicia.

To ensure I'm talking about the right stage, in the patcher I believe it's listed as "*183 Chapter 1 Orbonne Monastery (Opening)

3lric

The opening is likely not the battle itself. I redid all the ENTD names a few years back for FFTP, but im not sure if those names were reflected in the WotL files or not.

There are other factors as well, IIRC one of the displayconditions is required in the event in order for joinup to work? it might not be that exactly, but i know there was a factor i had to work out in events for characters to have a JoinUp without it being a battle with a proper congratulations and war trophies screen.

Bladedwind

The labels do appear to be different when I load up the PSX version of the game.  Also not really sure I see it where I would look in order to find that in the program. I'm sadly not too good at navigation. x_x

3lric

Quote from: Bladedwind on May 27, 2017, 03:56:25 pm
The labels do appear to be different when I load up the PSX version of the game.  Also not really sure I see it where I would look in order to find that in the program. I'm sadly not too good at navigation. x_x

The ENTD number should be the same in the PSX version vs the PSP version for that event

Bladedwind

Both numbers match up. Only thing of note is a * next to Gaffgarion's name on the PSP version and not on the PSX version. All the other names appear normal as well; Ladd, Lavian, Agrias, and the enemies you fight.