• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Linear attacks, status procs, and animation questions

Started by Azure Lune, February 18, 2017, 02:01:55 am

Azure Lune

Hello... after ~4-5 years of off and on working on a personal project of mine, I finally decided I should actually register here...

Now, I'm sure all these questions have been asked before, but I'm not especially good at searching deep...

Oh, and yes, I -am- always patching to a clean version of the game.

so, first question! Is there a "proper" way to  make a linear attack without it being able to hit in two directions at once? I've tried using existing skills(Earth Slash, Holy Explosion, etc) as guides but I must be missing something.

second... I'm not sure why, but this ability refuses to animate. I thought it was just an issue with the effect I had set for it(was using FFFF for some reason), which DID fix another skill with the same issue, but this one still bugs out. depending on the camera angle the character either vanishes temporarily, or turns to face the camera...

and final question for now: I've noticed Holy Sword skills proc status 100% of the time now... I changed their Add Status values as part of making space for other abilities' statuses, so this might be why. Specifically, their new Add Status effects are set as "All or Nothing" instead of "Seperate" as they originally were... might that be why? I'm actually gonna be testing this myself shortly but no harm in asking, right? Might learn something from it.
  • Modding version: PSX

dw6561

First of all, I don't think the AI recognizes when linear or 3 directional skills have a CT, so they'll use it like it has no CT. Also, have you tried flagging vertical fixed? Earth slash has that enabled, and that might help you solve that problem. On the other hand, I have no idea about the second issue you're facing as I haven't played around with animations that much.

For the third thing, that is definitely why it's adding 100% status. Just change it to something other than all or nothing if you want it to be a proc.
This is FF Tactics. All the Tactics you can ever have, all in one byte.

Emmy

Some animations you need to change in the Animation tab because they look weird if a monster uses them.  For example, disappearing and reappearing instead of animating.  Most monsters have less animations available to them than human characters.  Use this guide to changing them:  http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=8352.msg165624#msg165624

Nyzer

It's been a while since I played with a Linear attack, but you also shouldn't have Allow Self Target or Auto Target on IIRC.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Azure Lune

....OK so I actually forgot I made this topic so uh... oops, super late reply. >.<;

Quote from: dw6561 on February 18, 2017, 04:06:56 pm
First of all, I don't think the AI recognizes when linear or 3 directional skills have a CT, so they'll use it like it has no CT. Also, have you tried flagging vertical fixed? Earth slash has that enabled, and that might help you solve that problem. On the other hand, I have no idea about the second issue you're facing as I haven't played around with animations that much.

For the third thing, that is definitely why it's adding 100% status. Just change it to something other than all or nothing if you want it to be a proc.

ah, ok, that seems to have been my issue. also didn't know that about the AI and CT.

Quote from: Emmy on February 18, 2017, 07:12:47 pm
Some animations you need to change in the Animation tab because they look weird if a monster uses them.  For example, disappearing and reappearing instead of animating.  Most monsters have less animations available to them than human characters.  Use this guide to changing them:  http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=8352.msg165624#msg165624

it's actually not the monster skill of the same name, it's replacing a Squire ability... though since Goblins use normal sheets instead that wouldn't even be a problem I imagine.