• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:28:51 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

How to Correctly Replace Sprites in FFT:WoTL

Started by Fallout10mm, December 09, 2013, 06:44:42 pm

Fallout10mm

December 09, 2013, 06:44:42 pm Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:26:56 pm by Elric
After spending a day and a half figuring out how to properly replace the male samurai sprite with the
custom made one available on the site, here's a quick tutorial I was asked to write up. 

This is pretty tame compared to replacing a actual story character but will still take about half a hour.

How to Replace a Sprite Correctly in WotL:
(Example used M Samurai by Lijj)

Programs needed:

FFTEVGRP         - For changing formation sprites
FFTpatcher        - Latest Version
Graphics Gale    - To properly edit the formation and portrait sprites
UMDGEN           - For extracting the ISO and re-compiling it

Other stuff needed:

FFT:WoTL ISO
M Samurai.bmp

• Open Shishi and open the iso.

• Scroll down to 7B Male Samurai

• Click sprite import and choose BMP (Shishi has a smaller limit then the SPR file size)

• Select the custom M samurai.bmp.

• Confirm that the sprite now displayed has changed to the new one.

• Exit Shishi (Changes save automatically)

----------------------------------------------------------
  • Unzip the ISO to get to FFTPACK.BIN

• Start FFTPatcher and select PSP -> Utilities -> extract FFTPACK.BIN

• Close FFTPatcher

• Navigate to the folder where you extracted FFTPACK.BIN

• In the EVENT folder you can find UNIT.BIN, this is needed next.

• Launch FFTEVGRP

• Click file -> Open -> UNIT.BIN

• In the Character dropdown box, scroll to 34 Samurai (Male).

• Save the BMP of 34 Samurai (Male)

At this point you will need to use Celdia's Formation sprite tutorial HERE
to convert both the custom images for UNIT.BIN & WLDFACE.BIN

• At this point you should have updated both your UNIT.BIN & WLDFACE.BIN with the custom images via Celdia's Tutorial.

• Start FFTPatcher again go to PSP -> Utilities -> Recompile FFTPACK.BIN

• Open UMDGen

• Select and Open your WotL ISO and Extract Image to an empty folder.

• Now open UMDGen and open the ISO and Extract Image to an empty folder.

• Navigate to the folder that your extracted your image to.

• Replace the FFTPACK.BIN in that folder with the one you just recompiled with FFTPatcher.

• Go back to UMDGen

• Select New, then Right Click the Large White Open Box and select Add Existing Folder

• Select PSP game in the folder you extracted to earlier.

• Then Right Click again and Add Existing File and select UMD_DATA.BIN
    • (same folder you extracted to, just isn't selected when you clicked the other one)

• Rename No Label to SD then save as ISO.

• Congrats, you're done!

!!SUCCESS!!

Elric

Angel

I sincerely thank you for this tutorial. It is more useful than you know.
  • Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

kyozo22

December 10, 2013, 09:54:50 am #2 Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 02:27:28 pm by kyozo22
Yeah, this is brilliant. thanks man. Just got done changing some sprites! :D Thank you very much!

Edit: Ran into a slight problem with a couple of the sprites - namely the Ramza Chapter 4 with cape (FFT: Mercs) and also the Unhooded Meliadoul sprite - the portrait colours are all screwed up before I've even modified them for us in FFTEVGRP. Pretty sure it's quite a common problem/ mistake but can't find a solution (not yet, at least.)

• Modding version: WotL

3lric

Easiest way to fix that. Open the sprite in Xifs Palette Editor. Click the very first color, this should fix the port.
Hit save. Then close Palette Editor and continue the tutorial :)

kyozo22

Huh, probably going to regret azking this one as will look a tad stupid, buuuut: is that in the Tools section of the downloads? Took a look but couldn't find it anywhere.

Xifanie

Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

kyozo22

Feuholden

Hi. Im new to try. And i have question. Where to download all tools? Can i change special job like Holy Knight to my units? How? Ex:beatrix sprites with job Holy Knight. Sorry for my bad english. (Psp version wotl)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
I Play Every Mod

Jumza

You can get Graphics Gale and UMDGen on the internet by searching with google, but FFTPatcher and FFTEVGRP can be downlaoded here: http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/Tools
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Drunkard

Is there a way I can change the cloud sprite to one of the custom sprites? It says it's too large to fit. I only ask because he's my favorite character and I hack him into the first chapter (took me a while to think of a way, kind of new at this still) but dont like his standard look. 

Nyzer

July 03, 2015, 11:41:35 pm #10 Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 11:53:21 pm by nyzer
Quote from: Drunkard on June 29, 2015, 04:29:21 pm
Is there a way I can change the cloud sprite to one of the custom sprites? It says it's too large to fit. I only ask because he's my favorite character and I hack him into the first chapter (took me a while to think of a way, kind of new at this still) but dont like his standard look.

You need to import the .bmp, not the .spr.

3lric

Depends what sprite you are trying to replace, in Wotl, you need to replace it with a sprite of equal or lesser size, unlike the PSX version

Kenichi

Is there any good way to reduce size of sprite?

I'm trying to change Marach sprite but it not easy cause his total size is too low.

Holy Knight Wiegraf

March 07, 2016, 11:14:21 am #13 Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 11:28:42 am by Holy Knight Wiegraf
I would like to know that as well. I am curious and am trying various things to import sprites with highter size to the WOTL version of the game. But without success.
And i read somewhere that it overwrites data if you do it with shishi 352. I would like to avoid that so that the game runs 100% ok.

Does anyone know a solution ?

By the way, thats a great Tutorial Fallout. it helped me a lot. Thank you 4 that !

exkosikat

help! im new here.. im trying to edit WoTL custom animation in EVTCHR but when i import it back using CDmage 1.02.1beta5 it truncate.

i tried cdprog and CDmage 1.01.5 too and it's not working for WoTL.

what should i use to import it back and if there is a tutorial on how to edit EVTCHR pls tell me so i would know if im doing it right. thanks!

3lric

EVTCHR.BIN always truncates. it's fine, I've never had an issue doing it that way in the psx version.

exkosikat

but when it truncates and then i run the iso, it stop working.

im editing the psp version..

is there  a way to fix this problem? how?

3lric

dunno. I don't mod WotL. and to my knowledge, no one edits EVTCHR in the PSP version.

Xifanie

Well, we know that quite a few have wanted to, but we haven't exactly ever had someone other than melonhead (FFTPatcher's creator) willing to research that version of the game in all of FFH's 9 years of existence, and he's long gone now. We just keep getting people interested in modding WotL, but no one ever willing to put effort into hacking it. So, most people just scrap their mod project, switch to the PSX version, or make an extremely simple mod (comparing to the modding possibilities of the PSX version).
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

exkosikat

thanks for the info and quick response.

maybe i'll just close my eyes when an event would occur.. hehe.

i haven't use UMDgen when importing EVTCHR. did someone already tried using it?