• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:30:14 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Event Editing Question

Started by Kourama, November 09, 2009, 03:10:15 pm

Kourama

November 09, 2009, 03:10:15 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kourama
So basically I'm looking to make a basic patch that consolidates a lot of in the information in the game, such as the duplicates in item attributes, status change, skill sets, etc. I'm doing this as a basis to rework the patch I was working on a long time ago but to also have something basic to have lots of space to work in.

Anyway, my question has to do with removing all duplicates of characters that appear in the events. For example in an event with Gafgarion when he switches sides, I would change the Gafgarion to Unit ID 11 and when I decompile each even I would change all x17 --> x11. I'm just wondering if this should basically work for every duplicate of characters and if so, are there any more areas I need to worry about.

Like is the area where Gafgarion is removed from you party in the data I can access with the Event decompiler or would that be located somewhere else?

philsov

November 09, 2009, 03:30:26 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
You mean x17 to x11 for his portrait when he talks? (display message?)  

Don't see why not.

This is a wonderful idea btw.

If you're really striving for class consolidation I think you can merge Celia and Lede into a single class.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Kourama

November 09, 2009, 03:41:39 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kourama
not only his portrait but also the sprite ID as well. There is really no point in having a guest version and a enemy version. Just like there is no point in having the guests join your party. Just have them appear in the battles they need to appear in. As far as equip you steal from them, you can always add it as a reward.

In regards to class consolidation, I was also planning this with skill sets as well. Why give Izlude a seperate Jump skillset when he can just automatically have the regular one on and mastered.

philsov

November 09, 2009, 03:53:23 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
QuoteThere is really no point in having a guest version and a enemy version.

This is less applicable to Gaf but more toward Musty/Agrias/Rafa/(others?):  the guest version has certain status immunities, which *may* be fixable by flagging the the guests as immortals in the ENTD -- but to that end a seperate job class may be necessary.  

Regarding skillsets, and do forgive me if I'm being pedantic, but the second Jump is quite necessary.  Those non-generic (read: custom) skillsets cause them to have a 100% learn rate with no JP cost.  In order to pull this off otherwise, job level 8 would need to be defined to some very high number to ensure no ability is passed over, and that all the skills are 100% chance to learn -- which really upsets normal units.   Similarly these custom skilsets also enable one to set skills they do not wish known to be discarded without having to resort to a 0% learn chance for normal people as well.  Besides, Skillset is one of the few areas where free space is abundant.

edit:  What you can do, however, is make their primary skillset one big one -- which still enables auto-mastery but frees up a slot.  For example Altima II uses both Complete and Saturation Magic (iirc), but you can lump all those skills into Complete Magic and be done with it.  In the case of Izlude the mechanics are the same, but it'll still catch the player offguard to see him with his basic skillset and no secondary, but still hopping all over the place.  Actually, I take that back -- Jump's rather wonky and needs it own skillset >_>.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Kourama

November 09, 2009, 04:43:44 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kourama
I only mention Gaf because he is one of the few characters that actually has his own "unit" in the formation screen. I change a few things around and I can have Gaf, Ovelia, and Alma's characters free to put 3 other full characters in without changing any story mechanics.  Unless of course we have a way of changing the Unit.Bin now to add more characters that I don't know about.

As far as skillsets go, you are right in that we don't need any more spaces, but it bothers me to have 5 Mighty Sword skillsets with barely any difference to them as well as the several Holy Sword skillsets there are as well.

I guess you are right about the Jump thing though.