• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:28:22 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

The call of Power - General info/discussion thread

Started by Kokojo, January 15, 2009, 02:13:41 am

MagiTek

April 12, 2009, 06:40:19 pm #80 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MagiTek
The loot system? This sounds very interesting, and very hard to make work. This system rings an excellent bell.

ChimpMaster

April 12, 2009, 08:53:02 pm #81 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ChimpMaster
Well I just got done with the mod, and I have to say I was impressed. It took a longer time to complete a battle, however, I felt it to be a bit more filling to beat them, then say any of the 1.3 battles I've been in so far. I'll be dividing this up into different sections, and telling what I felt about each part of the game.

Story

Well, to be honest its a fairly simple story (We're rebels cause shit is bad, lulz) but it doesn't really have to be. Its a classic of a war story, and it still is effective to enthrall the player into the characters themselves and their seemly noble cause. While the demo itself leaves it on a bit of a cliff hanger, it really couldn't be expected that it wouldn't. In fact I'm glad it did to tell the truth, I wish to find out what happens to our portly Gospel and his crew of misfits. Anyway, I'll describe shortly here what each of the characters are, and what I think of them.

Gospel:
The leader of the group to be short, he's your generic war captain from yore. He obviously cares for his units, and they care for him. This is obviously shown in the fact everyone thinks him to be jesus christ to be honest. However, he is a likable character so it really isn't that big of a deal.

Schaefer:
The mysterious guy of the group who wishes to help Gospel for his own motivates. Honestly he really doesn't do much in this demo besides warn Gospel of an attack, and punches a door like the bad ass he is. I can't really say much to be honest besides the fact he really needs his own custom sprite...

Ilya:
You're tough heroine of the group it seems from the opening. She, also like Schaefer, doesn't really play that much of a role yet. Not much to be said, again needs a custom sprite.

John (Generic Squire, secretly the most powerful thing ever of course):
CLEARLY the defining character of this story. I have never seen a character done so well before in my life. Reading his three, four lines of dialogue was the most amazing thing in my life. He's king of the badasses, and a hero to all men. He'll mess you, your family, and your dog up by just blinking. Don't screw with him, that's all you need to know about this amazing fellow.

Music

While it being mostly old FFT music, I did hear a few nice new things I thought. Nothing really much to be said here besides FFT music is still the shit.

Gameplay

Clearly the meat and bones of this whole mod. The whole point of the mod was to somehow include low damage, low hp, low mp, etc and make you use everything wisely in short. To tell the truth, it does this nearly perfectly. It has a wonderful difficulty level, being between the levels of too hard or too easy. It makes you think about every action you do, however, it also won't shove a little mistake down your damn throat either. However, you can't make too many or it will do that, and you're screwed to say at the least. As I said before weapons do low damage, making it that you have to work together as a team to take a foe(s) down. Most if not all abilities cost MP, making it that you have to use them at the best times or else you'll waste them.

For example, in the game both Gospel and Knights have a move that work very much like Shock does in FFT.  To use this to the max effect that you can you would have to critical your own units and use it, which can work out to your advantage or completely screw you over since you really can only use it once or twice by the end of the mod due to its taxing 4 MP cost (by end game the max I could have was 8 and that was with a wizard robe). Ability that don't cost MP usually have low hit percentages in the 30s(example the only revival ability you have pump hearth as its called in game). Making monitoring your unit's hp CRUCIAL to victory to say at the least.

Magic in this game is also a tad bit odd, most of the spells I used were only single panel, and costs 2-4 mp from the ones I had. I couldn't really get anymore of them due to my limited time in game  and due to fact this game not having any random encounters at all, however, what I used was useful. Double for the final battle of the mod which you will NEED ice to overcome.

However, all the abilities in the game that attack enemies sometimes have an odd bug of having a 0 percent chance to hit, but later when you try to use it again they will have percentages and read fine. I'm not sure what's the cause of this, however, this is confusing to be honest and really needs to be looked into.

Touching back on something else I said, I mentioned the low attack power of weapons, this is a great thing in the ways of making you think, however, I must warn anyone trying to get the full experience of this mod at the moment. Crossbows are damage dealing masters in this mod, they deal at least double the damage of swords in this game, and are a threat to be reckoned with. Still even with this huge benefit the game stills manages to be somewhat balanced, however, I do recommend Kokojo that you do look into this "problem" .

So in short, gameplay wise this mod is amazingly fun. I recommend you download it right now, and play the hell out of it. Just remember not to be a complete dumbass with your units and you'll do great.

Glitches/problems(?)

Generally, while this being a fun mod it does have its share of odd stuff that bugs me a bit. Of course most of this is just me nitpicking a lot, but I'll post it anyway.

Firstly the typos in the game.

Autority is suppose to be Authority.

Why is there a : after quiet?

Seems to be a double space after Squire, and a space before the question mark. The latter of this being very very common in the whole game, I forgot if the FFT font itself does this or not, however, for now its a bit distracting.

And now for the graphical errors of the game.

This one is in the picture itself.

This one might be just me but am I the only one who thinks that Gospel's sprite in here is way too dark compared to the others.

I also really have no idea what the hell happened to that knight down there.

From there, its a good bit of random oddball errors such as descriptions for job and abilities not being right. For example:

Like this for example, every single skill in the "Elemantalist" has this same description besides the last two, who share a raise dead description instead.

And for the sake it says this guy is an Ultima Demon, or at least his jobset does....

And that people bleed blue blood in this magical land.

In conclusion, this is a wonderful fine work done by a man who seems to know what he's doing. I love what we have so far, and cannot wait for more from him. This is easily a must watch, and a award winning mod.

-Chimp
Goodbye

Goomba

April 12, 2009, 09:12:10 pm #82 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Goomba
Chimpmaster, did

Spoiler....!

the second encounter sorceress actually attack using magic or anything when you fought her? For me all she did was attack for like 3 damage with a staff.

ChimpMaster

April 12, 2009, 09:46:22 pm #83 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ChimpMaster
Quote from: "Goomba"Chimpmaster, did

Spoiler....!

the second encounter sorceress actually attack using magic or anything when you fought her? For me all she did was attack for like 3 damage with a staff.

She only bashed with her staff for me as well, so no for now that seems normal.
Goodbye

Goomba

April 12, 2009, 09:50:20 pm #84 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Goomba
Probably a bug, then, since she has an ass load of JP for buying techniques but she never casts anything. Maybe the spells are just too low of a probability to be purchased by the AI and we both lucked out.

ChimpMaster

April 12, 2009, 09:51:47 pm #85 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ChimpMaster
Quote from: "Goomba"
Probably a bug, then, since she has an ass load of JP for buying techniques but she never casts anything. Maybe the spells are just too low of a probability to be purchased by the AI and we both lucked out.

Who knows, certainly I don't. Anyway, keep going at it, you'll get to the end soon enough.
Goodbye

beawulfx

April 12, 2009, 11:42:05 pm #86 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by beawulfx
Man I wish my exams were done right now! Can't wait until Wednesday then I will definitely download and check this out. Very excited, and congratulations on having a patch out for all of us to enjoy. Much much appreciated :)
My FFT 1.3030 videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 18EFFEA0AD
My FFT: Mercenaries videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 174F169EE5
My FFV Random Class Challenge videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... C9F3BD69BF

Aquilae

April 13, 2009, 07:22:42 am #87 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Aquilae
I think the gameplay here is too hard (maybe I'm just used to abusing broken stuff in regular FFT). Right from the start, the enemy units have a significant advantage, more accentuated in the second and third fights, in the latter the enemies were 2-shotting everything. You don't have a reliable source of healing, the most you can muster is about 6 HP, which doesn't help much when the enemy deals more than that or about twice that in one attack.

To Chimp, I actually feel it does shove a mistake down your throat, as if one of your guys dies due to an oversight you'd be literally spamming 30% revives and hoping you can evade enough attacks to tide yourself through. I don't think gameplay is balanced as of now, there isn't a wide enough variety of equipment and job choices (I used mainly Knight for most of the demo), due to the slow JP gain, and not enough equips being awarded at the end.
:gay:

Xifanie

April 13, 2009, 10:07:16 am #88 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
She didn't use her Ice Doom Spell? it does like... 23 dam on a single target and doesn't receive much extra damage while casting.
The swordsman also has a very wide AoE attack dealing 3-4 dam to everyone in range, and continuous cast. At least it costs MP.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

psp master

April 13, 2009, 11:42:49 am #89 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by psp master
THIS IS AWSUM HARD!! AND AWSUM COOL! THE 2ND HARDEST GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED! THE 1ST IS A MOBILE PHONE CHINESE (OR JAPANESE) GAME "WIND KNIGHT". BTW, I CONVERTED THIS INTO THE PSP FORMAT AND IT WORKED!
oops, forgot to turn off caps lock

Kokojo

April 13, 2009, 12:07:55 pm #90 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kokojo
Yeah everyone, thanks for the comments. Il repacth from a clean iso this time, should have a little less bugs.

Also i am very sorry, the goblins seems to do really high damage for no reason, i have fixed this and i will upload, as soon as the other bugs are okay, another version, more balanced, i think. I also think that because it was my own pacth, i could't see the difficulty as i knew what to do.

Chimp, thanks for your time. Zodiac, il hope for a more balanced version very soon, Goomba, thanks for playing, and the support ive got from everyone.

PspMaster, please, please go do something usefull. Thanks for the psp info though.
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

psp master

April 13, 2009, 02:02:28 pm #91 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by psp master
SOME BUGS: FURY MAKES YOU NOT JUST HASTE+BERSERK, BUT CRITICAL, TOO.
EVEN IF YOU MISS ON A HIT, YOU GAIN JP.

psp master

April 13, 2009, 02:18:57 pm #92 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by psp master
And this knight + Gospel skill deals the same damage when with full HP and when in critical.

psp master

April 13, 2009, 02:33:29 pm #93 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by psp master
I cannot beat the 1st battle! Wow! Harder than 1.3! Fire Emblem ftw!

psp master

April 13, 2009, 02:40:00 pm #94 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by psp master
What Zodiac sign do I need to choose.

psp master

April 13, 2009, 02:40:08 pm #95 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by psp master
What Zodiac sign do I need to choose?

Kokojo

April 13, 2009, 02:48:18 pm #96 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kokojo
Edit button exist.
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

psp master

April 13, 2009, 02:53:46 pm #97 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by psp master
yeah, I know, just help me to beat the 1st battle.

psp master

April 13, 2009, 03:00:06 pm #98 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by psp master
Aww, itz UNBEATABLE!
Ca Elemental be the 2nd skill? I've

Dominic NY18

April 13, 2009, 03:04:44 pm #99 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dominic NY18
Cut out the damn spamming already.

Put all you've said in one or two posts.