• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:18:25 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Red Mage Sprite that I didn't make

Started by Timbo, July 13, 2012, 01:44:44 am

Timbo

July 13, 2012, 01:44:44 am Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 12:26:14 am by Jack of All Trades
So, I didn't make this sprite. It was made by Rathaelos. I simply changed the color of the feather and the scarf from yellow to white. I did however change the portrait completely, although I didn't actually create that either. I frankensprited it from Lijj's Red Mage portrait and Vanya's Alternative Aliste portrait.

I did however create a custom EVTCHR for this guy. During the first scene at Orbonne Monastery, Rad enters and kneels. If you've replaced his sprite with anything else, it bugs out for two really awkward frames. This frame replaces the Squire sprite with a kneeling Red Mage and prevents any graphical glitches.

I really like this and I'm interested if anybody else thinks this is as cool I do. What else could I do to make the portrait look better? Does his hair look okay? I couldn't really steal much of that.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Timbo

Lijj

I like it Jack of All Trades.. just the part where his head meets the cap looks a little too indented.

Timbo

Whilst fixing his hat-hair. I realized that I forgot to change the palette back to its original colors. I also included the proper portrait and formation sprite too

Neophyte Ronin

You may want to forward this to Dome's attention.  He is remaking FFT+ from the ground up with new ASMs and such.  Rad is a Red Mage in this game, but he resembles a Squire without a hood.  Not terribly flashy.  This sprite looks awesome and, thanks to your EVTCHR setup, there won't be any glitches.  It's almost heroic what you did.

Timbo

Dome all ready knows about this. I posted a version with Cheetah's old Red Mage portrait in his Generic Sprites discussion. I don't think he's interested. He didn't respond to the idea at all.

Since I didn't really create this so much as stitch it up and hit the juice, (ala Frankenspriting) should I submit this to the site?

Dome

July 13, 2012, 09:43:44 am #5 Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 09:54:18 am by Dome
(Must have missed the message. I love the sprite and I'll surely implement it)
Well, I guess I have to thank Rathaelos for his awesome work, Jack for his awesome edit and Neophyte for his endless support for FFT Plus :-)

P.s:
Quote from: Neophyte Ronin on July 13, 2012, 08:31:13 amIt's almost heroic what you did.

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Jon

Nice! Now you have to event edit every {Ramza} to Ramza and change Ramza and Rad's names, then you could have a renamed Rad patch with a Red Mage :mrgreen:
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

Timbo

Yeah, it's right there on my list of to do's right after replacing all of the random knight events with pokemon.  ;)

Rfh

I like your Red Mage sprite, works good as a Male Shooter with another palette:P
  • Discord username: rfh

Timbo

So my EVTCHR file doesn't work right. The palette is mixed up. I'm trying to figure out how to change it around so he comes out correctly but I'm not having any luck.

Lijj

I feel like a total POS for this; because I didn't notice it earlier(but now the thread has been resurrected). The sprite's hat has a white stripe on it while the portrait does not.

Twinees

There. Edit the palette first, then paste the frames in the position you want.

Timbo

August 15, 2012, 03:40:16 pm #12 Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 04:28:41 pm by Jack of All Trades
Is there a guide somewhere that explains what to do? I don't understand what you mean. I've tried this a couple different ways.

I edited the palette from the image you've given me. Using Graphics Gale I imported the standard palette into the image you've given me and that didn't work. Then I tried importing the palette in the image you've given me and that didn't work either.

I took some screen shots.

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Hold on I think I've got it.

Timbo

I'm out of ideas now. I used on of these screen shots to figure out which palette box goes with which color and I still can't get it to work. I'm at a loss.

Twinees

Ahh I edited it correctly already, what I meant was, to make a new one, do those steps.

Okay well basically you must be over writing the wrong palette. On the evtchr editor, you can change the palette number so change it to the squire colours (i think its 5 or 6) then import over that one. The one I posted you don't need to edit, try it and see what happens. And no I don't there is a tutorial.

Timbo

I've tried it in both 5 and 6 and it gives you the screen I posted above :(

Twinees

This one will definitely work because i have proof :P

Dome

Quote from: Twinees on August 16, 2012, 03:24:20 am
This one will definitely work because i have proof :P

And also looks awesome

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Timbo

Lijj

I must repeat; or so I think: The hat in the portrait is still not matching the sprite too well.. it's missing the white stripe. Glad you got it working in-game though.