• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:46:08 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

So, you're making a mod, and...

Started by gatebuster202, August 04, 2015, 10:22:33 pm

gatebuster202

While this DOES have to do with my modding, it has little to do with the mechanics of modding.

I'm waist deep into my mod. I have a 80% completed patcher, 25% complete on Tactext. I'm working on sprite changes, I'm done on the ASM front, I hope.
I'm looking to incorporate a few mechanics from Jot5/XIfanie, as far as the Synth shop and propositions.

My script changes are brainstormed, my additional characters/class abilities are taking up the remaining 20% of patcher. I am hoping to be done with balancing changes shortly.

The question is. When should I release my Beta? When everything is balanced, sprites are changed? I won't release it til the Text edits are done, that's for certain. DO I wait for Chapter 1 and 2 to have everything I want implemented in them? (Condensing the Vanilla events and inserting roughly a dozen and a half full events.) I haven't even begun eventing. (I am, however, outlined, and working on scripting.) If I just release the combat changes, do I do it with or without the special characters?

I'm about to update my progress page, tomorrow, or Friday, just a lot of stuff going on, both in and out of the patch.

Anyway feel free to comment or ignore. -Gate.
  • Modding version: PSX
Winner of the 2nd FFT Arena SCC Tourney. -Geomancers

Jumza

Whenever you feel comfortable. Preferably when things are interesting and show promise so that people will look forward to future updates.

(It's funny that I am saying this. When will I release my beta? Soon. I can't get the events in a way I like them :/)
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Xifanie

Not before you begin eventing. If you're going for a story mod, the events make the mod. For someone inexperienced that know what they're doing (i.e. me), an event takes anywhere from 2 to 15 hours depending on its complexity, so yeah, you kinda wanna get started on that. If you do plan to have new events, your FFTP and Taxtect progress amounts to next to nothing.

Also:
- Outlining is not making the damn event
- "Working on scripting" is also not making the damn event
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Angel

While her words may sound harsh, they're also true. Jot5 without its events would have been an absolutely useless release (though it also had more event work done than Patcher work early on, so there's that), and never would have garnered 1/1000th of the attention it did in preview beta without them. There's nothing wrong with doing a vanilla mod, but if your goal is a story mod... get some events completed before all else.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

3lric

gatebuster202

I honestly needed the tough words. I'm probably going to have a easier time flushing these events out for Revisited. (We know this story, I'm trying to give it a fresh spin.) But I need to actually event it. Luckily I have my first two chapters worth of sprites done for me! I think I'll spend my time getting into eventing.

Thanks for the direction and support!

@Elric, your the event master, I hope you like events

3lric

gatebuster202

:P

Elric, will I draw less snark when I get a few events done?

3lric

August 05, 2015, 01:06:30 pm #8 Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 01:15:25 pm by Elric
and yes.

gatebuster202