• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:15:52 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Item Attribute Elemental Behavior Priority

Started by yamish, March 19, 2019, 03:45:30 pm

yamish

I'm trying to pinpoint how the game determines which elemental altering properties are used in its final damage calculation. I'm placing different behaviors - absorb, cancel, half, etc - on different items for different slots and equipping them in different combinations.

It seems if Cancel is on a shield it is ignored if any other slot has any property. The same is true for cancel on armor, but the reverse: it will ignore all previous slots and simply cancel damage. This would make it seem as if the bottom most slot is the one the game applies. However, it SEEMS that in the case of half or weak on one item and absorb on another, it applies both (i may be wrong on this as i did not check zodiac compat prior to testing and coincidences are a thing..im not perfect, people). Are there special rules concerning Cancel? Did I interpret incorrectly or something?

Can anybody help shed some light as to how this works?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
  • Discord username: riggz raggz

Raijinili

I recommend starting here and tracing the code by hand.

Here may be where it gets interesting. Note how it loads the elemental modification flags from the unit, rather than from gear. You'll need to find where the game writes to those flags.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown