• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:01:26 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Name Fix Patch (Final Version's out, for real this time.)

Started by Chronosplit, March 30, 2016, 05:51:55 pm

Chronosplit

March 30, 2016, 05:51:55 pm Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 01:17:06 pm by Chronosplit
I believe I can confidently post this up there.  This project is functionally done, but updates may still happen.

This little patch fixes and updates Ability, Equipment, Job/Monster, Treasure, and Unexplored Land names in PS1 FFT.  The goal for this is that the original translation's vibe and original intents are preserved, while making something more recognizable with common FF naming conventions and fixing translation errors.  This means a lot of abilities aren't using the War of the Lions terminology, though some were updated as such.  Some terms have not been changed or have been lifted from other FF games where applicable, mostly the GBA and PS1 eras of FF (for a minor example of what I mean, instead of Hasteja it's Hastega), and I've even delved into literal translations of ability names.

As of now there are three patches, Altered exists mostly for the sake of Swordskill (Stasis Sword etc.) names.  There may be more differences to come as we move along.  No Suffixes uses spell names with the original 2/3/4 instead of -ra/-ga/-ja.  .ffttext files are also provided with all patches for those who might find them useful.

RHDN Link, has the preferred ISO information, quick Readme, etc.
Yet another alternate MEGA mirror.

Latest version does a huge amount this time. Big thanks to Raijinili and Timbo.

Job Ability Names:
Spin Fist>Spinning Fist
Repeating Fist>Pummeling Fist (Also fixed the quote not matching.)
Earth Slash>Earth Render
Secret Fist>Death Touch (Secret Hole Fist may refer to punching the Death point in qigong internal healing also known as dim mak, or Death Touch as it's referred to in the west.)
Stigma Magic>Purify
Sinkhole>Pitfall (According to FFVI this can also be Snare, but I don't think they're the same thing.  In fact, some FFVI text patches refer to that as Pitfall.)
Contortion>Engrave
Quicksand>Bottomless Bog
Wind Blast>Gust (FFV)
Magma Surge>Lava Ball
Split Strike>Splitting Strike
Crush Strike>Polaris Strike
Lightning Stab>Lightning Thrust
Shellbust Stab>Shellbust Thrust
Polaris Strike>Starbomb Strike
Hellcry Strike>Hellscream Strike
Heaven Thunder>Heavenly Thunder
Diamond Blade>Adamantine Sword
Hydragon Pit>Hydra Maelstrom (A melding of both the original and WOTL)
Space Storage>Celestial Void
Hell Thunder>Infernal Thunder
Hell Ashura>Hellish Ashura
Nether Blade>Hellish Sword
Helldragon Pit>Hyudra Maelstrom (Like the monster catalog.)
Nether Space>Corporeal Void
Nether Demon>Infernal Demon
Aegis>Magic Barrier

Monster Ability Names:
-Fixed Toadga appearance in No Suffixes
-For some reason, Eschaton was Alpha in No Suffixes.  Whoops.
Spin Punch>Whirlwind
Scratch Up>Talon Scratch
Shine Lover>Shiny!
Swing Down>Pickaxe
Wave Around>Pickaxe Spin
Blow Fire>Breathe Fire

Skillset Names:
Phantom>Esper (Phantom Beast)

Equipment Names:
-Because of the extensive changes to Ninja Swords, Altered will no longer have the original names.
Platina Dagger>Platinum Dagger
Hidden Knife>Hidden Edge
Spell Edge>Spellbinder
Sasuke Knife>Sasuke Edge
Iga Knife>Iga Edge
Koga Knife>Koga Edge
Platina Shield>Platinum Shield
Platina Helmet>Platinum Helmet
Platina Armor>Platinum Armor
Adaman Vest>Adamant Vest

Terrain Descriptions:
New Geomancy name compliance.

-Updated Change List.
-Updated FAQ.

Hotfix:
-Fixed Un-Truth Brimstone Sword in textfix
-Updated Swordskill quotes in Altered.
Polaris Strike>Polaris Crush
Hellish Ashura>Infernal Ashura
Hellish Sword>Brimstone Sword

Provided no bugs happen, this is it except for updates to the .ffttext files with new tool releases.  I can't think of much else I can do that doesn't require a full retranslation.  Maybe Bags or updating Truth/Un-Truth if something better comes along.
  • Modding version: PSX

Angel

This is much closer to how I would have preferred WotL to handle any renaming. I could nitpick a few things, but not outright complain. Good on you!
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Xifanie

March 31, 2016, 08:28:24 pm #2 Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 08:33:34 pm by Xifanie
I like the effort put into this, and am fine/like most of the choices.
I will point out a few issues I've noticed, though:

QuoteThunder Bracelet>Bolt Breath

You renamed Bolt 1/2/3/4 to Thunder/ra/ga/ja but Translated back to Bolt for this ability? Seems really off.

QuoteAll-Ultima>Alpha

Definitely highly against this... It is obviously a powered up Ultima spell... the hell's an alpha? beta? gamma?

QuoteBlastar Punch>Comet Strike

You also have to consider that nothing about the ability's animation looks like a comet... I would've preffered something more along the lines of "Starry Strike" or something.

QuoteDeathspell 2>Dispelna

This is actually an Esuna type spell, not Dispel. It cures Stops + Blood Suck, which Esuna doesn't, but also doesn't cure Darkness or Berserk, which Esuna does.

QuoteTwo Swords>Double Sword (I know that Dual Weild is actually the term in most games, but this pairs better with Doublehand.)

It really shouldn't specify "Sword"... as you can have two punch, two swords, two flails and so on... doesn't matter if there is more consistency where there shouldn't be.

I don't know if your patch covers those or not, as you didn't really mention them:
Move in Water/Walk on Water are reversed in the original PSX translation, basically.
1F6 : Move in Water / Waterwalking
1F7 : Walk on Water / Swim
1F9 : Move undrwater / Waterbreathing

Also... Frog + Toadga? I know Frog + Toad 2 was wrong too, but might as well correct it properly.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Chronosplit

March 31, 2016, 09:14:37 pm #3 Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 11:19:49 pm by Chronosplit
Thanks a bunch for the compliments!

Quote from: Xifanie on March 31, 2016, 08:28:24 pm
You renamed Bolt 1/2/3/4 to Thunder/ra/ga/ja but Translated back to Bolt for this ability? Seems really off.

Good point.  This will be Thunder Breath next patch.

QuoteDefinitely highly against this... It is obviously a powered up Ultima spell... the hell's an alpha? beta? gamma?

In Tactics Advance, Alpha was known as the "father spell" to Ultima.  My train of thought was "Perfect>Father."  That really isn't right and I'll replace it.  Other than just Perfect Ultima, only other thing I can think of is Eschaton because that's the official thing.

QuoteYou also have to consider that nothing about the ability's animation looks like a comet... I would've preffered something more along the lines of "Starry Strike" or something.

You're right, the only similarities the animation has with a comet is that it's shiny and falls sorta downward.  I was thinking from the name "Starry Heaven Bomb>Falling Star>Comet."  Starry is an okay idea, but I feel like it's sticking out from the rest of Mighty Sword.  Stellar Strike maybe?

QuoteThis is actually an Esuna type spell, not Dispel. It cures Stops + Blood Suck, which Esuna doesn't, but also doesn't cure Darkness or Berserk, which Esuna does.

Hmm... that is correct.  Original text points to the second stage of Dispel, so this is kinda weird.

QuoteIt really shouldn't specify "Sword"... as you can have two punch, two swords, two flails and so on... doesn't matter if there is more consistency where there shouldn't be.

Noted, Double Wield is meh so I'll change it to Dual Wield next patch.

QuoteI don't know if your patch covers those or not, as you didn't really mention them:
Move in Water/Walk on Water are reversed in the original PSX translation, basically.
1F6 : Move in Water / Waterwalking
1F7 : Walk on Water / Swim
1F9 : Move undrwater / Waterbreathing

I had completely forgotten!  That's getting changed like the guns were next patch.

QuoteAlso... Frog + Toadga? I know Frog + Toad 2 was wrong too, but might as well correct it properly.

Will do.  Frogga sounds really wrong, so I'm going to change Frog to Toad.

Nyzer

"Alpha Ultima," then? Not sure how good that'd be as a suggestion.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Chronosplit

March 31, 2016, 10:21:59 pm #5 Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 11:19:17 pm by Chronosplit
Quote from: nyzer on March 31, 2016, 09:56:43 pm
"Alpha Ultima," then? Not sure how good that'd be as a suggestion.

I can see how that would work, but it's also kinda meh to me.  I think I'm going to default to the established name here.

So, that means for 2.0b so far...
Bolt Breath>Thunder Breath (both of them)
Alpha>Eschaton
Comet Strike>Stellar Strike? (I'll use it if there's no objections.)
Dispelna>? (Unsure as of yet.) Panacea? (Dispelga is staying that way, but on No Suffixes it will be Dispel 2.  I was tempted to pull out Nostrum as a stealth Chrono Cross reference because it's kinda dark-ish, but it's directly the opposite of that really.)
Double Sword>Dual Wield
Walk on Water>Swim
Swim>Walk on Water
Frog>Toad
Nagrarock>Nagrarok (based on Ragnarok, rock is incorrect)
Ice Brand>Icebrand (Both are right really, but this kinda looks better to me.)

-Spell Quotes changed for compensation.
-Bugfix in Spell Quotes: Heaven Thunder had Heaven Heaven Thunder. :P

EDIT: Patch is up.  Let me know about objections or anything else that needs changing.

Guru

Most of the stuff looks pretty good here. I do have a couple suggestions, not sure if they are any better or not but I'll throw em out there.

First off, (after googling Eschaton  :P), I really like this one a lot. I think it fits perfect and sounds good too. Some people might be against it because like xif said its a powered up ultima spell and your naming it something else completely, but I'm all for this one. I don't remember ever seeing this in the vanilla, but it does have a nice sound to it.

I also like panacea....but not for this spell. Panacea is a cure all and this spell does not do that. How about cleanse? I think it would fit with blood suck especially well and many of the other statuses it removes too.

I'm not totally against stellar strike but I'm not loving it either. I don't have any spectacular suggestions either  :? Heavens blade?  heavenly strike? idk lol either way.

Everything else looks good so far!

Chronosplit

April 01, 2016, 04:58:04 pm #7 Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 01:13:05 pm by Chronosplit
Thank you!
QuoteFirst off, (after googling Eschaton  :P), I really like this one a lot. I think it fits perfect and sounds good too. Some people might be against it because like xif said its a powered up ultima spell and your naming it something else completely, but I'm all for this one.

You're right in that it doesn't ring wholly true to text but I'm making an exception with it, not just because it sounds nice.  Reason for that is because Echaton's place in FF is more-or-less a localization of the exact same spell.  Here's an FF wiki listing on the term for what I mean: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Eschaton

As for why it's a better fit than WOTL's default, it's because the ability in this game isn't Holy.  Then again, neither is going the literal route with Perfect Ultima... hmm.

QuoteI also like panacea....but not for this spell. Panacea is a cure all and this spell does not do that. How about cleanse? I think it would fit with blood suck especially well and many of the other statuses it removes too.

That actually has a better ring to it, IMHO.  I think I'll use it, and throw it in with some minor item description edits (shoes being boots now and spell names on equipment, mostly.)

QuoteI'm not totally against stellar strike but I'm not loving it either. I don't have any spectacular suggestions either  :? Heavens blade?  heavenly strike? idk lol either way.

It really could be better, but I can't think of a better way of doing it.  I don't think the spell quote quite matches with the heaven angle though, that could be just me.

Angel

Well, there are different kinds of stars - like pulsars and quasars - that could lend a better name, imo.

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame

Chronosplit

April 02, 2016, 10:04:14 am #9 Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 10:20:11 am by Chronosplit
Quote from: Angel on April 01, 2016, 06:53:29 pm
Well, there are different kinds of stars - like pulsars and quasars - that could lend a better name, imo.

Brilliant idea.  I'll dig into my knowledge of astronomy and the like and see what I come up with.

However, seeing as how now the only other thing I could see changing would be Elf Mantle to Elven Mantle, I'll be holding off on a new version until I find something else wrong,

Chronosplit

April 05, 2016, 10:43:23 am #10 Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 11:52:39 am by Chronosplit
Apologies for the doubleposting, but here's what I have so far for the Final.  It's kinda small but there wasn't much left.  Stuff not Stellar Strike that's getting done for new patch:

Carbunkle>Carbuncle (Mistranslation that I had forgotten)
Elf Mantle>Elven Mantle (Name update more than anything, accessory in FFV.)
Shake Off>Swing Down (Literal but better fitting.  I don't want to use Pickaxe when both this and Wave Around use the same weapon.)
Behemoth King>King Behemoth (Changing it back to the more common name.)
Gobbledyguck>Gobbledygook (Actual word, oops.)
Night Killer>Knight Killer (I guess original intent's name was supposed to be a pun.  I don't blame the original translation for using Night in this one, but with Nightblade being restored and all...)
-An FAQ with notes about certain parts that need addressing (such as Blade Grasp), with alternate Summon Spell name and Limit ability listings.

As for Stellar Strike, here's a few woolseyisms I have in mind:

Polaris Strike (North Star in English, also part of the Ursa Minor constellation.  Since we're looking at Divine Knight abilities, constellations make a major amount of sense while alluding to the heavens at the same time.  Also a good sight on the menu all-around, I like the sound of it and I'm leaning towards it.)

B-Star Strike: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B(e)_star (It doesn't exactly sound nice, but this is for the sake of the fact that it's the closest we're getting to Blastar.  Kinda mundane compared to the other two as well.)

Mintaka... something (A B-Type blue giant in the Orion constellation, the faintest and northernmost star of the three in Orion's Belt.  An attempt to combine both together.  Orion is a pretty darn good reference for a swordskill in FFT on top of it too, not only as a hunter but as the relation to Ophiuchus.)

Angel

Sirius Strike! (Why so serious?) *shot*

And no worries on double posting if it's been more than 24 hours.

Chronosplit

That would also be a contender believe it or not, because another neato thing is that the Astrologer's skillset is also Starry Heaven.  Sirius has a place in that as well as Polaris.  Polaris fits more however, because of one small detail which I am probably thinking too much about: The North Star is kinda known as more of an evil or harmful star than Sirius in astrology, which is more suitable for calling on for destroying someone's helmet and the spell quote. :P

Anyway, it's out.  Not much else to really say other than I settled on Polaris, and any updates will probably be more related to TacText or bugs than anything else.

Chronosplit

Slight update to the FAQ and change list, just a couple minor details I had forgotten to mention.

Provided time is on my side, I'll be making a "beta" patch for my own use (mostly for curiosity's sake) that has the updated Limit and Summon translations in the FAQ.  If anyone would want to see that, tell me and I'll throw it up on the OP.

Chronosplit

April 30, 2016, 06:40:57 pm #14 Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 07:56:30 pm by Chronosplit
Just a quick heads up on something I screwed up on: I know about the roundabouts of Midgardsormr in FF now, and I'm fixing Midgar Swarm soon.  Along with probably conforming Chainmail and Platemail with Broadsword etc..

EDIT: Done!

Chronosplit

July 28, 2016, 03:10:00 pm #15 Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 04:06:48 pm by Chronosplit
Er, I just realized something: I left the terrain descriptions out in the cold when it came to Geomancy.  I'll attempt to fix this along with properly capitalizing those names on the top and fix erroneous spaces.  Maybe remove that weird instance of two periods and replace it with a colon.  I'll be fixing the mention of Lancers in equipment lists too.  This may take a bit, there's a good bit to do when fixing this up.

Would anyone happen to know if that little extra line of untranslated Japanese does anything on the "Road" terrain description?  According to TacText there's a little bit in a line above the name.  It wouldn't do any harm to just cut it out I guess...

Chronosplit

Aaaaand we're up and ready.  Took shorter than I had thought.

Chronosplit

September 01, 2016, 11:27:45 pm #17 Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 11:55:23 pm by Chronosplit
I can't really say when this update will be out at all (so far ideas are small, plus my computer is currently running chkdsk for quite a long while as I write this out), but here's some things I have on the table that I noticed need to be taken care of.  I'll wait this out until I get more ideas.

Ability Descriptions: in vanilla these tend to be a bit of a mire, and I'm not really sure how much I want to dig into these since they do their job for the most part and I've fixed most relevant things.  I want to at least fix Geomancy descriptions to match the new Terrain stuff though.

Damage Split>Bisect (I blame Guild of Dungeoneering.  Bisect is a math-related term that is actually closer to the original name, rounding out the math reference Calculator should be getting in it's reaction abilities.  I'm not sure what to do with Distribute yet however, if anyone has an idea throw one in.)

Chronosplit

September 24, 2016, 11:49:42 am #18 Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 01:22:42 pm by Chronosplit
If I'm going to work on Calculator terms, I want them both done at the same time, so I'm holding off on that.  However, the descriptions do need some work so here's what I'll be looking at when it comes out:

Ability Descriptions:
-All Geomancy now refers to the correct terrain names.
-Ground Type and all terrain names are now properly capitalized.
-Fixed a very obviously missing "the" and various spacial issues in Geomancy.
-Elemental>Geomancy

Terrain Descriptions:
-In the main patch only, Water Plant was decapped.  Fixed.

With enough luck, unless I find something to match up with Distribute or other glaring ability description problems (I don't think there are any) this will be the last real update.

EDIT: And it's up!

Raijinili

In the original, Gemini ("Help" #29) text has "Sagittarius" doubled.

I finally found old versions of IDeLucas's FAQs (before GameFAQs mangled non-Unicode FAQs), which were made before an official English translation, and have samples of the Japanese text. Use encoding EUC-JP.
0.3: http://web.archive.org/web/19980121145915/http://www.cronorye.com/cr/fft.html
Abilities (0.4): http://www.mogelpower.de/cheats/dl.php?id=5836

Japanese sources:
Full: http://www.carbuncle.jp/fft/index.html
Full #2: http://playshinra.com/fft/
Weapons: http://playshinra.com/fft/weapon.html
Divine Knight: http://playshinra.com/fft/meliadoul.html

Specific notes:
- Osafune (Bizen Boat)'s full name is Bizen Osafune. Though that's probably too long.
- Polka Polka really is "Polka Polka". Was this different in other FFs?
- Blaze Gun is NOT a swapped translation. Also see this image of Glacial Gun with a distinct Fire icon in the corner, and this one of Blaze Gun with an Ice icon. Finally, the Japanese weapon list has them as they are in the original translation.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown