• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Ramza Dark Knight sprite

Started by Astos, December 29, 2013, 10:55:27 am

Astos

December 29, 2013, 10:55:27 am Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 01:47:11 pm by Astos
I have started my first project recently. It's based on FFT: complete and it changes some of the standard FFT jobs to jobs that are more iconic to the FF series. Ramza, for example, being branded a heretic, becomes a Dark Knight on chapter 2. I think it makes sense because as it is depicted in the FFT series, Dark Knights are those without allegiance, mercenaries, renegades that don't have the blessings of the church, such as Gafgarion. That is, against the system but not inherently evil.
During chapter 2 and 3 I use the standard grey and purple Ramza sprite but for chapter 4 I felt the blue sprite didn't exactly scream "dark knight". Searching the forums I stumbled upon a Ramza Dark Knight that mixed Ramza's head with WotL male dark knight body. However it had some problems due to colour limitations (Ramza spirte and dark knight sprite don't share many colours). So I used the same idea to make one that tries to reuse as many colours as possible and here's the result, should anyone be interested in using it:

Astos

I have found a problem with custom Ramza sprites like this one. During the cutscene when Ramza meets Beowulf, he looks both sides and, in that moment, the sprite reverts to the default one but using the custom pallete. The result is quite ugly.
Is there a place (using Shishi, perhaps) to replace those "custom movement" sprites?

Jumza

These 'special' movements are called EVTCHR's, which can be viewed and edited by the EvtchrView. You can search for it on the forums!
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Astos

Thank you! I wasn't sure what to search for but now I'll take a look.

Timbo

Ramza has a ton of custom evtchr sprites. Good luck.
  • Discord username: Timbo

3lric

You can find EVTCHRViewer in the JP Tools pack in the Site Submission section.

Astos

That was just what I needed; thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
However, Jack of All Trades was right: there's an amount of work to be done that I had not foreseen. I guess for the time being I'll stick to a recoulour of the original chapter 4 sprite while I work on these evtchrs.

Timbo

Recoloring requires adjusting the evtchrs too.

3lric

Yes it would, but it would be much easier, since all he'd have to do is extract the EVTCHR's which use Ramza's Palette and Change it to the
recolored palette. Dunno why no one else has done this yet.

Either way Ramza is not the ideal person to do spritework on unless you are either making a custom story mod, in which you will make your
own EVTCHR. Or you want to redo all of his EVTCHR for whichever version of him you intend to change.

I think the recolor would be simple enough, would probably take ~20-30 minutes or so to update all the EVTCHR Palettes, assuming none
of the EVTCHR has additional objects on the sheet Ramza shares his palette with.

Timbo

I could be wrong but doesn't he share some evtchr palettes with Agrias?

Astos

I just tested this: I recolored Ramza's chapter 4 armor to dark blue (instead of the light blue) and during the event I mentioned earlier, everything seems fine.
I suspected as much, since when I had Ramza with a custom sprite, during events he changed back to the default sprite but using the palette of the custom one.
So it seems these evtchrs use whatever palette Ramza's sprite uses.
In short, recoloring Ramza sprites seems to require no alterations on evtchrs. They just automatically assume the new colours.

Timbo

That's awesome news. Now you have to figure out how to change his world map sprite.

3lric

January 04, 2014, 12:41:11 am #12 Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 12:47:32 am by Elric
Quote from: Jack of All Trades on January 03, 2014, 04:10:44 pm
I could be wrong but doesn't he share some evtchr palettes with Agrias?

No, the only thing it could be would be something that uses the EXACT same palette as Ramza,
EVTCHR Palette for Ramza's sheets will match his Sprite Palette perfectly and in the exact same
order color wise. Agrias, even if one the same sheet, would have a different palette (one that
matches her sprite.) Look in EVTCHR view for an example, each EVTCHR has several palettes.

Also, this:

Quote from: Astos on January 03, 2014, 04:16:14 pm
I just tested this: I recolored Ramza's chapter 4 armor to dark blue (instead of the light blue) and during the event I mentioned earlier, everything seems fine.
I suspected as much, since when I had Ramza with a custom sprite, during events he changed back to the default sprite but using the palette of the custom one.
So it seems these evtchrs use whatever palette Ramza's sprite uses.
In short, recoloring Ramza sprites seems to require no alterations on evtchrs. They just automatically assume the new colours.

Is not as cut and dry as this, this applies ONLY if you keep the palette in the EXACT same order.
Since by Default EVTCHR uses your current palette, as long as the order matches this will not
cause a graphical issue. This is already known.

Quote from: Jack of All Trades on January 03, 2014, 08:57:21 pm
That's awesome news. Now you have to figure out how to change his world map sprite.

We did this for Jot5, the Image is in WLDMES or something like that, talk to SecondAdvent on IRC
he knows where it is.

Astos

January 04, 2014, 02:01:47 pm #13 Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 10:18:40 pm by Astos
Quote from: Elric on January 04, 2014, 12:41:11 am
Is not as cut and dry as this, this applies ONLY if you keep the palette in the EXACT same order.
Since by Default EVTCHR uses your current palette, as long as the order matches this will not
cause a graphical issue. This is already known.

That probably only worked for me because I just altered the colours I wanted in Ramza's palette and didn't make any changes to the spirte or the colour order in the palette then.

3lric