• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:28:11 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Vagrant Story Tools

Started by Valendian, February 23, 2012, 10:27:11 pm

Valendian

Some tools for modding VS. Written by me. All text based. I've used these tools to make this cutscene. How it works is this:

Get a copy of CDMage
Use this program to extract/import files to/from a cd image of Vagrant Story.

Get a copy of the VSTOOLS
These tools will take the binary files you extracted from the cd image using CDMage and convert them to text files that can be editted and reassembled using FASM. The editted files can then be reinserted back into the cd image using CDMage.

Get a copy of FASM
You'll need this program to convert the text files back into binary files.

You will also need to use the wiki over at datacrystal as a reference

Here are some of the things you can do with these tools
Create and modify cut scenes.
Modify treasure chest contents.
Modify the appearance of rooms.
Modify enemy stats.
Modify enemy equipment.

Valendian

I have never actually played a burnt CD on a chipped PS1 (never had a chipped PS1) but make sure that the cd image was ripped RAW and uncorrected. and that the copy is burnt RAW and uncorrected. Sony uses incorrect ECC errors as a form of Copy protection.

Would need to read back up but there is also an issue with streamed data near the end of the disc that will cause an image to be unusable. So keep STRs and XAs in the main body of the image. This should only show up when trying to access those sectors though.

Then of course the license data (sectors 0 through 15 inclusive) must be valid and must maintain any erroneous ECC data. And the CNF file must also be valid and in the root directory and it must specify the correct executable to boot (SLUS-xxx.xx)

And obviously the ps1 needs to be chipped or you will need to perform the disc swap trick.

Valendian

February 24, 2012, 09:42:11 pm #2 Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 06:29:15 am by Valendian
talk to the guys at assemblergames

Pickle Girl Fanboy

Quote from: Valendian on February 24, 2012, 09:17:56 pmI have never actually played a burnt CD on a chipped PS1 (never had a chipped PS1) but make sure that the cd image was ripped RAW and uncorrected. and that the copy is burnt RAW and uncorrected. Sony uses incorrect ECC errors as a form of Copy protection.

Would need to read back up but there is also an issue with streamed data near the end of the disc that will cause an image to be unusable. So keep STRs and XAs in the main body of the image. This should only show up when trying to access those sectors though.

Then of course the license data (sectors 0 through 15 inclusive) must be valid and must maintain any erroneous ECC data. And the CNF file must also be valid and in the root directory and it must specify the correct executable to boot (SLUS-xxx.xx)

And obviously the ps1 needs to be chipped or you will need to perform the disc swap trick.

Damn.  I thought you could get these things working on an unmodded PS1.  My bad.

LastingDawn

Did you make this, Valendian? If so you just created the VS equivalent to FFT Patcher!
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Valendian

We're getting there step by step.