• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Squire and Paladin Patch

Started by Havermayer, June 24, 2009, 08:31:31 pm

Havermayer

June 24, 2009, 08:31:31 pm Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 08:47:56 pm by Havermayer

I'm using 1.3 as a starting point.  I will mostly focus on making Squires useful, as well as adding in Paladins.  

Part A) Making Squires useful

1. Squires

I'm thinking of making FFT Squires and turning them into FFTA Soldiers.  Here are the abilities that I may give them.  

Heal: same as in 1.3
Power, Mind, Speed and Magic Ruin: Same as in 1.3
Insult - Inflicts Bezerk
Dash - same as 1.3

Reaction: Weapon Guard and Counter Tackle

Support: Equip Shield.  

Movement: Move +1

Note: Monster skill given to mediators, and Equip Axe given to Geomancers.  

Armor: Light and Heavy, shields
Weapons: Knives, Swords, Knight Swords,

Not sure if they should keep Axes and Crossbows)

Move and Jump: 3

2. Ramza and Delita

They will be regular soldiers, plus their special abilities like Yell, Cheer Up, etc.

3. Knights become Paladins

This class will be more difficult to create.  Many of their abilities will be new, and I'm just learning how to add in new spells and stuff.  

Here are their FFTA 1 and 2 abilities, plus what I may give them:

Nurse - Recover HP and cure status ailments of the unit and surrounding units.
Defense - Raise Weapon Defense and Magic Resistance for one turn.
Drop Weapon - Weapon Break
Subdue - Severely reduced damage. Useful for aiding Hunters in capturing monsters or to get rid of Sleep, Charm, or Confuse.
Parley - Attempt to remove a unit from the battlefield.  
Saint Cross - Holy damage to surrounding units
Holy Blade - Normal, Holy Damage
Sanctify - Destroy Undead
War Cry - Raises Resilience of surrounding units

What I could give them:

- Dash instead of Subdue
- Wish instead of Nurse
- A swordskill that has a chance of inflicting death instead of Parley

Reaction: None
Support: Equip Armor, Equip Sword
Movement: None

Unlock Requirements:

Not sure.  After Monk at least.  Probably would take as much effort as Samurai or Geomancer.  

This raises a problem of what to do with the gap that Knights leave behind in the job tree.  

Equips: Heavy Armor, shields, Swords, Knight Swords.  
Movement and Jump: 3 and 3

3. Other Squire skills?

What should I do about Accumulate, Dash and Throw Stone?  Not sure.  Having Knights with Accumulate may make Soldiers simply too good.  

What about Agrias?

There will be some overlap between her and Paladins.  Specially if I give them a swordskill.  Not sure how to fix.

Samuraiblackbelt

June 24, 2009, 09:15:20 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Samuraiblackbelt
I like the ideas so far,but maybe just completely get rid of calc
<JoZ> I'm not Wiz. Even if I were, I wouldn't be narcissistic enough to go under an alt and comment on my own team.

PGF: "You are ignoring this user. Click to see their post."

boomkick

June 25, 2009, 01:52:55 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by boomkick
Make Ramza a Dark Knight, since hes Gafgarion's merc afterall.

Aquilae

June 25, 2009, 02:51:49 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Aquilae
Quote from: "Havermayer"1. Squires

Besides Provoke and First Aid, I can't see how this would make people use Squire more. In fact, they'd use Basic Skill instead, with Two Swords you can break stats two times faster, and not to mention Speed Break is broken (hi 1 speed Altima)

I think heavy armor > clothes and hats is taking away some of the Squires' usefulness and making them into inferior Knights or Paladins. Part of the reason I'd use a Squire would be their ability to equip Green Beret / Thief Hat / Power Sleeve, and having Accumulate which differentiates them from Archers. Keep the Shields but disallow them from wearing armor and / or give them the ability to wear Clothes and Hats.

Quote from: "Havermayer"2. Ramza and Delita

Squire Ramza is fine as he is. The ability to equip Knightswords, Hats and equip Carabini Mail makes Squire a great class to be in, he can equip a good secondary and support ability and retain high speed.

Quote from: "Havermayer"3. Knights become Paladins

Parley and Defense cannot be implemented to my knowledge. You'd have to balance out the power of Saint Cross and Holy Blade, IIRC in FFTA they were pretty powerful.

Quote from: "Havermayer"3. Other Squire skills?

What should I do about Accumulate, Dash and Throw Stone?  Not sure.

Keep them. They're not broken at all.

Quote from: "Havermayer"Part b) Further Balancing:

1. Samurai.  
2. Geomancers.  
3. Summoners
4. Mediators
5. Oracles
6. Monks
7. Bracers
8. Ninjas.  

Masamune isn't broken at all. You only have one unless you get some from Arc Knights of the Deep Dungeon, and it has ~20% chance of breaking, so it can't be spammed unlike Haste2. Even then you'd have to steal it from Elmdor which requires specific setups and quite a few resets (to get rid of Celia & Lede before they can interfere with the process).

Masamune on enemy units isn't as gamebreaking as you think, the only Masamune I've seen in story battles is in Underground Book Storage 5, which is already part of the final battles anyway. It makes generic battles less of a cakewalk, its perfectly fine in my book.

I fail to see how Kikuichimoji is one of the best ranged attacks in the game. It doesn't do substantial damage unless you've got a high MA setup, its vert. tolerance isn't high so it can't be used effectively in quite a few maps, and Throw or Bows do more damage anyway.
--

You're neglecting the fact that Elemental does piddly damage, it is useful for the fact that is has good range, it always hits and it has a chance of inflicting status. You're effectively nerfing Elemental so much so that it wouldn't be used in the game.

--

Golem isn't as powerful as it is in the AI tournament. Firstly, enemies are much more stronger then you are so it is doubtful that Golem would last long. Secondly, most of the story battles and random battles have enemies that can bypass Golem and deal major damage. Golem is fine as it is.

--

Mimic Daravon is good? I don't think so, even at 99 and maxed MA it still very risky. Its chance to hit is shaky and Sleep is better for the majority of the game until the higher levels where charging it is risky.

--

On Paralyze, it isn't too good. Its accuracy is shaky, it requires charging time and Don't Act doesn't last very long. There are tons of viable spells in the Oracle's skillsets, Petrify, Blind Rage, Sleep, Lifebreak, I don't think its fair to say that Paralyze is the only spell that is to be used in Yin-Yang Magic.

--

Again, I feel Earth Slash isn't as good as you're making it out to be. To maximise the damage of Earth Slash, you'd have to stay a Monk meaning you don't get to wear Thief Hats or have great HP. Furthermore, Earth Slash, like Kiku has a low vert. tolerance, meaning that it isn't that effective on non-flat maps.

--

Bracers Speed -1 seems unneeded, I don't see why they are broken, they cost 50k so you can't just randomly slap one on your units, and I can't think of any situations where they would be broken.

--

Throw has a huge range but it has limited power. Dual Katanas / Fists would deal more damage than Throw, and the Shuriken and Balls don't do a lot of damage. Weapons cost a bomb and will limit Throw's usefulness. I don't use Throw much unless I'm doing an Assassination mission, it just seems a bit wasteful to Throw around Slashers all the time.

Quote from: "Havermayer"Part C) Testing out my Crazy ideas

1. Lowering Speed Growth

2. Calculators

3. All weapon damage based on PA

4. Weight based system for equipment?

5. Lowering Money gotten from battles.

Not sure how to do this.

Razele has an ASM hack to scale charging times to speed so that spells' charge time would remain the same, more or less.

--

I don't think something like Lv X Holy would be possible, but it'd be a nice addition if it were.

--

I'm not sure what you mean by "All weapon damage based on PA", are you suggesting that stuff like Books be changed from MA * WP to PA * WP? I don't think that would be necessary, maybe for guns but not for Books, Sticks or Rods.

--

I can't see a weight-based system working out well. Speed is very important, and even if you increase the amount of speed every unit has, the difference in speed might be negligible as the speed is already high enough as it is.
:gay:

Havermayer

June 25, 2009, 03:50:43 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Havermayer
QuoteMake Ramza a Dark Knight, since hes Gafgarion's merc afterall.

It doesn't fit Ramza's character.  He's a Lawful Good type.  He's staying as a Squire/Soldier.

Quote from: "Aquilae"Besides Provoke and First Aid, I can't see how this would make people use Squire more. In fact, they'd use Basic Skill instead, with Two Swords you can break stats two times faster, and not to mention Speed Break is broken (hi 1 speed Altima)

I'm using 1.3 as a starting point, so speed break only casts slow.  Also, I'm probably going to go with the ruin abilities, so they can't be used with two swords.  

QuoteI think heavy armor > clothes and hats is taking away some of the Squires' usefulness and making them into inferior Knights or Paladins.

I forgot that FFTA Soldiers could wear light armor and hats too.  So, for the time being they can do this.  If it's unbalanced, I can change it later.  

Quote from: "Havermayer"2. Ramza and Delita

Squire Ramza is fine as he is. The ability to equip Knightswords, Hats and equip Carabini Mail makes Squire a great class to be in, he can equip a good secondary and support ability and retain high speed.

QuoteParley and Defense cannot be implemented to my knowledge. You'd have to balance out the power of Saint Cross and Holy Blade, IIRC in FFTA they were pretty powerful.

Giving them innate defend seems to do the same trick.  I could possibly simulate Parley by giving them a low % instant death spell perhaps?  I seem to remember Parley actually removing them from the field, which I'm not sure that I like anyways.    

Cover I don't think is possible at all at this point.  

For the time being, I'll just try to make them as much as their FFTA counter parts as possible, and then worry about balancing later.  

QuoteKeep them. They're not broken at all.

Having Soldiers with accumulate might be too much.  Soldiers are pretty much Knights.  For the time being I'm removing Accumulate.  

Disclaimer: I for the balancing stuff, I fully expect to ditch like half of these ideas.  Most of these are just experiments that I've always thought were good, but have not implemented.  

I'm also using the tournaments as a guide.  My goal would be that if people were to make a tourny out of this patch, there would be no banned regular abilities.  

QuoteMasamune on enemy units isn't as gamebreaking as you think, the only Masamune I've seen in story battles is in Underground Book Storage 5, which is already part of the final battles anyway. It makes generic battles less of a cakewalk, its perfectly fine in my book.

I see it casted all the time in battles.  I want to do something that balances the samurai skills for both the player AND the enemies.  And I find it annoying how they use it.  

QuoteI fail to see how Kikuichimoji is one of the best ranged attacks in the game. It doesn't do substantial damage unless you've got a high MA setup, its vert. tolerance isn't high so it can't be used effectively in quite a few maps, and Throw or Bows do more damage anyway.

Didn't say it was the best.  I remember in my last playthrough that Samurai would always one-shot some of the guys on my team from half-way across the map.  It's just a little too good.  I don't know, I might have to do tests to see if its as good as my memory says.  
--

QuoteYou're neglecting the fact that Elemental does piddly damage, it is useful for the fact that is has good range, it always hits and it has a chance of inflicting status. You're effectively nerfing Elemental so much so that it wouldn't be used in the game.

Again, I might have to do tests.  But I seem to remember from the tournies that it does decent damage AND is insta-cast.  

--

Golem isn't as powerful as it is in the AI tournament. Firstly, enemies are much more stronger then you are so it is doubtful that Golem would last long. Secondly, most of the story battles and random battles have enemies that can bypass Golem and deal major damage. Golem is fine as it is.

--

Mimic Daravon is good? I don't think so, even at 99 and maxed MA it still very risky. Its chance to hit is shaky and Sleep is better for the majority of the game until the higher levels where charging it is risky.

--

On Paralyze, it isn't too good. Its accuracy is shaky, it requires charging time and Don't Act doesn't last very long. There are tons of viable spells in the Oracle's skillsets, Petrify, Blind Rage, Sleep, Lifebreak, I don't think its fair to say that Paralyze is the only spell that is to be used in Yin-Yang Magic.

--

Again, I feel Earth Slash isn't as good as you're making it out to be. To maximise the damage of Earth Slash, you'd have to stay a Monk meaning you don't get to wear Thief Hats or have great HP. Furthermore, Earth Slash, like Kiku has a low vert. tolerance, meaning that it isn't that effective on non-flat maps.

--
QuoteBracers Speed -1 seems unneeded, I don't see why they are broken, they cost 50k so you can't just randomly slap one on your units, and I can't think of any situations where they would be broken.

Even when I avoid random battles, I always have a huge amount of money in the game.  Gil never seems to be a limiting factor in the game.  

--

QuoteThrow has a huge range but it has limited power. Dual Katanas / Fists would deal more damage than Throw, and the Shuriken and Balls don't do a lot of damage. Weapons cost a bomb and will limit Throw's usefulness. I don't use Throw much unless I'm doing an Assassination mission, it just seems a bit wasteful to Throw around Slashers all the time.

Again, money was never as much of a limiting factor in FFT.  I think the main thing that I'll change is the range of throw.  You can put move +3 on and get some ridiculous range for throw.  And I seem to remember throw + a good weapon doing more damage than Archers.  

QuoteRazele has an ASM hack to scale charging times to speed so that spells' charge time would remain the same, more or less.

I might check that out.  Though would that mean that their spell time is affected by haste?  

QuoteI'm not sure what you mean by "All weapon damage based on PA", are you suggesting that stuff like Books be changed from MA * WP to PA * WP? I don't think that would be necessary, maybe for guns but not for Books, Sticks or Rods.

By that, I mean that everything that should rationally be PA * WP should be that.  So staffs and sticks would be that for sure.  

I'm fine with other weapons that don't use PA to not have PA in their equations.  Guns for instance.  Not sure if I'd change flails.

philsov

June 25, 2009, 10:40:32 am #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
1) Mug - would require some hacking to pull off, but even then unless the amount plundered is substantial it'll be largely worthless.  The amount gained from Steal gil, for example, is a drop in the bucket.

Heavy Armor -- is fine, so long as they can wear light armor as well.  This'll actually increase the usage of the class into the later parts thanks to being able to pull off a Ramza-squire like thief hat + carabini mail combo (not to mention decent health to boot).

2) Ramza is fine NOT AS A HOLY KNIGHT WITH LOLSWORDSKILLS.  I don't think the class needs much buffing, short of maybe increased PA and MA multipliers (Samurai should not trump him >=[).  If he gains any additional skill it should be fitting, characterwise, to the bootstrap ones he already has.

3) Defense would be interesting to try and hack in, as it isn't something you can mess with fftpatcher.  You can do some wall status nonsense (maybe with Razele's asm hacks), possibly.

3b1) Masamune can follow kiyomori's path and inflict either haste or regen.  
Kikui can be reduced to 5 range and be fine imo.  (Earth Slash too)

2) I fail to see how 25% status infliction is better than what a time mage or oracle or mediator can accomplish.  Plus, without status it basically becomes Throw with less damage and AoE -- kinda lame imo.

3) Golem doing self-wall would be a neat feature, but the only problem with that (and Defense) is the duration of wall.  If it's a CTR thing then you run the risk of it running out before your next turn early on but then at endgame double-turning the wall status for Golem + attack + repeat for complete immunity as you kill everything else.

imo get rid of smart targetting ;)

4) Mimic Daravon isn't that special.  Without AoE it's pretty damn worthless.  With AoE, then you expect plenty of double-panel attacks but rarely see more than one infliction.  It's inferior to sleep.

5) Single target paralyze is musty's specialty.  With such low duration musty can only juggle two targets at a time.  The oracle needs the aoe to be more effective.  And I use sleep and pray faith (30% more damage?  yes please) all the time.

- Lower speed growth sounds good.  Would certainly make balancing status duration and spell CTR easier.  

- Your calc idea is good (range limits!?  YES!), but the implementation would require some work.  gl.

- Weapons all being PA based is a simple FFTpatcher function.

- Weight-based:  see calc.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Archael

June 25, 2009, 10:42:59 am #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
I agree with everything Aquilae said, he shows much more in-depth knowledge of 1.3 balance than your original proposal

QuoteAnd I find it annoying how they use it.

that is a horrible reason to change anything lol

masamune on enemies is fine

the ai sucks enough even with skills to compensate for their natural disadvantage

ps: paralyze sucks

Shade

June 28, 2009, 03:01:35 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Shade
We could do something about the faith rod whitch is the most overpowered weapon of 1.3!
Oracles are gods with this thing. with short charge you will take it always with the higest faith guy.
It is something insane. "Want 100% sure status shit. Then you are made for the faith rod!"
Believe me I use it almost every battle expect with bosses.

It also makes something like flare, holy, bahamuth(don't remember how to write it) thse summons will do insane damage.
Upupupu...

Zetsubou

Archael

June 28, 2009, 03:38:29 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
it's not really that insane and will not help you in a majority of battles especially near the end

Shade

June 28, 2009, 03:56:52 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Shade
Fricking flags. Without those it would be so good. You could beat kletian without killing only him.
Gravi 2 with faith rod 70-100%.
Upupupu...

Zetsubou

akwikone

June 28, 2009, 04:25:21 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by akwikone
Quote from: "Havermayer"
QuoteMake Ramza a Dark Knight, since hes Gafgarion's merc afterall.

It doesn't fit Ramza's character.  He's a Lawful Good type.  He's staying as a Squire/Soldier.

he's lawfull good for the first chapter, the rest he's either open/chaotic good, besides who said dark was evil, anyway if you give ramza swordskills balance the hell out of them and make them more interesting, lowerd range(I like 1 range personaly), mp cost, interesting formulas, ct, anything to keep it non-gamebreaking and still usefull/fun

EDIT: specials are talk skills still fit his personality best though

SentinalBlade

June 28, 2009, 08:00:54 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
HarveyMayer.

About elemental, and your judgements based on the tournament.

You realize that its only doing such good damage while they are so low a level(i think its 35, right?) is because they have top tier equipment.

Excluding Rares, some of the geomancers have like 18 MA with store bought equipment(i believe, regardless its high). If your level 35 in chapter 4, you played really conservatively. But basing your changes on damage that can be inflicted at level 35 and then assuming it will be higher when you hit the level that you normally obtain that equipment at seems rather awkward.

Just keep in mind that the damage you see in the tournament is near its height, even at that level. Mainly due to the 108 gems, and all the MA/pa equipment. At level 99 my geomancer only does about 260 on nuetral compat in Deep Dungeon.

Also. Since when has putting a negative value on equipment been possible? LD and Zodiac were working on that back in december, and i havnt heard a word of it since.

LastingDawn

June 28, 2009, 08:24:20 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
It's not, while it's a few interesting ideas it bases itself too much off of current impossibilities. I say work with what you have, and if new developments do come about, use them at that time.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Smitson

July 01, 2009, 12:41:40 am #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Smitson
Maybe you could make the Squire a jack of all trades type of deal, like the Freelancer of FF3?

Shade

July 01, 2009, 07:23:51 am #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Shade
Give no skill sets to square. then try to hack it so squares could select two skill sets. then let them equip what they want. And have ok stats.
Upupupu...

Zetsubou

Havermayer

July 03, 2009, 08:22:40 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Havermayer
QuoteIt's not, while it's a few interesting ideas it bases itself too much off of current impossibilities. I say work with what you have, and if new developments do come about, use them at that time.

True.  I'm going to put all of the neat but impossible to implement ideas on the back burner, and just focus on the Squire and Soldier aspect.  

Quote from: "Shade"Give no skill sets to square. then try to hack it so squares could select two skill sets. then let them equip what they want. And have ok stats.

QuoteMaybe you could make the Squire a jack of all trades type of deal, like the Freelancer of FF3?

That is a good suggestion, but sadly I have no idea how to do that.  I'm also not sure if they'd be less or more useful than Soldiers.  

I've updated the first post with some of the Soldier abilities.  Basically they get Dash (instead of Mug for the time being), plus Provoke, and the Ruin abilities.  They can equip heavy and light armor.  A pretty good class in my opinion.   They'll either have 1.3 style Heal or First Aid (heal plus HP curing).  I've removed Accumulate since it might make them too good.  Delita and Ramza will be Soldiers + some of their special abilities (Cheer up, Yell, etc).  No swordskills, sorry.  

This raises a further problem.  The Paladin class from FFTA seems to be based on FFT Knights and "Holy Knights" (like Agrias).  If I add in Paladins, then that makes some of Agrias' abilities redundant.  Pals won't have stuff like Holy Explosion or Lightning Stab, so she could just be an upgrade Paladin, much like Ramza and Delita are upgraded Soldiers.

Paladins are going to be a wee bit trickier.  I could give them a swordskill or two.  Parley for instance, could just be that swordskill that has a 25% chance of causing death.  With a bit of tweaking (less powerful, less range, etc).  A lot of their other abilities are going to have to be new, since I can't think of existing abilities to use.

I could give them innate Defend, instead of Defense.  Could I give them Wish instead of Nurse?  It would fit in with their selfless nature.  Not sure what to do about Sanctify (kills undead).  War Cry, Holy Blade and a few others are going to have to be new abilities it seems (and I"m a noob who doesn't know how to add those).

Also, there are two different versions of Paladins.  One for FFTA and one for FFTA2.  

FFTA:

QuoteNurse -   Recover HP and cure status ailments of the unit and surrounding units.    Range: All sides and self    AP: 100
Defend -   Raise Weapon Defense and Magic Resistance for one turn.    Range: Self    AP: 200    
Cover -   Covers a unit, allowing the user to take damage for the target until the user's next turn.    Range: 4    AP: 300    
Subdue  -Severely reduced damage. Useful for aiding Hunters in capturing monsters or to get rid of Sleep, Charm, or Confuse.  AP: 200    
Drop Weapon - Toss the targets equipped weapon into inventory.
Parley -   Attempt to remove a unit from the battlefield. More successful when the target has lower HP.    Range: 1    AP: 150    -
Saint Cross -   Holy damage to surrounding units  Range: All sides    AP: 400    
Holy Blade - Double damage; holy element    Range: Weapon Range    AP: 400    

FFTA2:

QuoteLose the following:
- Drop Weapon
- Subdue

Changes: Holy Blade does normal damage, not double.  Still Holy Element.  

New Abilities: Sanctify -   Destroys Undead    Range: 3    AP: 250    -
War Cry    - Raises Resilience of surrounding units Range: All sides and self    AP: 300    -

So, which FFTA Paladin should I base them off of?  Possibly both, plus Knight?  Hmmm...

PX_Timefordeath

July 03, 2009, 11:44:23 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by PX_Timefordeath
Parley can be very easy! Low chance of inflicting treasure, done! Or low chance of inflicting chicken. And by low, I mean somewhere around 8%.

Archael

July 03, 2009, 11:45:14 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
u can't add the chicken status

Havermayer

July 04, 2009, 06:54:22 am #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Havermayer
Dumb question:

How do I change Ramza and Delita's equips for the first battle in Gariland?  Despite being able to equip heavy armor, they still just have light armor.  They tend to get pwned rather easily, and they eat up all of your potions and phoenix downs.  

I've also ran into a problem that I hadn't thought of.  If Squires can equip both heavy and light armor, then that means that when their equips are set to <random> on the ETND, then they're just as likely to have crappy light armor.  Which results in them having like half the health.  

Parley could either be %dead or maybe treasure.  Probably just %dead.  It would seem cheap to give them something that they couldn't fix.

Archael

July 04, 2009, 12:50:13 pm #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Havermayer"Dumb question:How do I change Ramza and Delita's equips for the first battle in Gariland?  Despite being able to equip heavy armor, they still just have light armor.  They tend to get pwned rather easily, and they eat up all of your potions and phoenix downs.  

Edit ENTD #184 Magic City Gariland