• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:03:06 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Arena battle videos and discussion

Started by PX_Timefordeath, August 04, 2010, 06:49:51 pm

Shintroy

Quote from: White Knight Wiegraf on June 22, 2015, 05:08:41 pm
Finally managed to record in 480p for faster edit and upload.

FFT ARENA 139C - Shintroy (Ye Olde Rangers) vs Otabo (Reckless Rainbow)

FFT ARENA 139C - Heroebal (How to tame a dragon?) vs Corosar (Dragon Summoners)

FFT ARENA 139C - Rouroni Elmdor (The Raven King) vs White Knight Wiegraf (Kakumeiki)

I have given some advice to Heroebal and Corosar as well in their video.

Looked like I had a squire version of Otabo's team really. Pretty funny and even match up outside of round 2.

Thanks for the matches WKW.

I read your post in the tournament thread and wondered how you tested your teams. I don't test mine against casters, but I do against almost everything else. Do you make it so your teams are good in multiple match ups or do you try to make teams that end up being hard counters to specific teams?

I test my teams against several of my own teams on the same large/small/medium map for each team.

Power Rangers - High Evasion. Helps me find out how RNG based or reliant my team is. I don't test this if my team has a lot of 100% hitting moves.

Renaissance Men - A blitz team. A team of all ninja, high move, speed, and some 100% damaging attacks. I use this team to test my team's comeback potential on small/medium maps. On a large map I if my team's able to take advantage of their stage position.

Bad Breath - Great way to find out what status effects screw my team over.

The F Word and With Haste - Both teams are a little defensive and need to be killed quickly otherwise you lose the round due to either death sentence or 18 speed units. Some teams can tank, some can out last, others can dismantle with breaks and other disruptive abilities, and others can just straight up destroy these types of teams(blitz)

Caster Shell - AOE Absorb team - Really helps me see how bad my team is in recovery mode. Some teams never reach this team. Others get close, but get destroyed by quake. I try to make it so my more balanced teams have an answer for gimmick teams like this.

I also test against Otabo's Total Disrespect and CT5Holy's Delay Buster. Only with my main teams because I believe these teams help you avoid your team wasting turns.

Now that I'm better at making teams I'll only use Power Rangers, Renaissance Men, Caster Shell, and Bad Breath. I've also accepted being terrible at creating caster teams so almost all of my teams are weak against AoE magic.

No need to go into that much detail, but I only ask because you use Mime and I'd hate to see someone give up on mime.
Some day my people will be free.

Kurosabes

Usually I go against teams that have defeated me in recorded matches. There's probably more productive ways to go about this, but with the latest update I've done to my team,
even though they've lost against Rouroni
, I feel a lot more satisfied with them now. Just can't seem to ever decide which status to protect against.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Kurosabes#0312

Barren

To be honest there is no perfect team. There are a bunch of good teams but honestly there's never a sure chance you'll always win. There's always a weakness to every team.

For example, elemental absorb teams are weak to oil/status.

Elemental attacking teams are weak to elemental null/absorb.

Status teams are weak to status they aren't protected against.

So on and so forth. What's important is the synergy of your team.

The more balanced kind of teams usually consist of a physical sweeper, tank, support and special sweeper.

It really depends on what strategy you're going for
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

Elmdork

Thanks for running matches WkW! That was a rather silly few games. The dancers on raven king aren't perfect twins though, one has witch hunt and the other has nameless dance. They dance in shifts if they both have nameless dance, but with witch hunt they'll both dance and stack that anti caster goodness. Not a huge deal though, sometimes backfire bizen boat is cool to make them go into monk mode. May consider adding repeating fist. GG!

To answer shintroy's question (which wasn't directed to me but I'll answer anyway) I treat my teams like decks of magic cards. I tend to lean towards "relatively prepared for everything" but a few such as raven king and intergalactic are specialized to do something more specific. Though i like oracles and casters, i try to make every team totally different, so you're never sure what to expect. My first ever speed team "intergalactic real estate agents" has been wildly successful, so I think I'll try to build another speed based team sometime soon. Also mime for archer in raven king? I'm sitting directly on the fence for that one.

@ corosar: No worries, dude. I only mentioned something because I saw potential for you to both do as your team intended and be fairly strong in day to day matches. I tried doing something similar in the past with a male scholar and 2 durka rods, but it was terrible and your team has better potential. I kind of get the "one offensive unit" thing, but outside of a gimmick game with that specific gimmick, it just isn't viable. if the wizard had mimic daravon, she'd be able to support herself on the front line while still going for durka rod whacks. On/off Cyclops/Odin with basic summoner support on ma stacked bards and golden hairpin is what doctor elmdor prescribes for this team. Still cool if you wanna go the "one offensive unit" route, but I'll have to build a team with a similar concept just so we could have an even match. At least with summon, you could challenge whoever and still see bahamuts.

The bird of Hermes is my name
Eating my wings to make me tame
  • Discord username: rouroni elmdor

Reks

June 27, 2015, 06:43:14 am #4245 Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 06:53:36 am by Reks
Quote from: White Knight Wiegraf on June 27, 2015, 05:45:07 am
FFT ARENA 139C - Corosar (Multi-verse Unity) vs Barren (On Target)

Coro must have thought I gave my Geo Chakra, when I did specifically avoid doing so because I knew it'd be entirely useless on him.

Nevertheless, GG Barren. You had -the- perfect counter (in terms of getting past his evasion) besides that my own unit relies on luck to be murderous anyway, but luck wasn't on your side this time, buddy.
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

Kurosabes

That was an error on my part. I must be too used to see Stigma/Chakra/Revive together.

Reks

Quote from: White Knight Wiegraf on June 27, 2015, 06:52:45 am
That was an error on my part. I must be too used to see Stigma/Chakra/Revive together.

Ahh, that's okay. It IS a common thing to add, after all. Sorry for sounding slightly abrasive about it, but it's an unfortunate peeve of mine when my stuff is tweaked. (correcting a mistake is fine, tho, so do that to your heart's content if you spot them)

Again, no real offense taken and I do apologize. But besides that, thank you for all of the matches despite the tourney, WKW~

Looking forward to the next rounds.

I need to finish creating my teams, jeeze. I have a backlog of four differing experimental ones.
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

Shintroy

June 27, 2015, 07:23:53 am #4248 Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 07:36:18 am by Shintroy
In the Heroebal vs Rouroni video, how did you get the purple color to work? I need that

Damage Reflect vs Knight Swords
Those two excalibur paladins looking terrifying. Doubt I'll be able to kill them if they're immune to berserk.

R1 - Looks like it's in WKW's favor if I can't get berserk off. It was over once the mediator got hit by berserk.

R2 - Pretty bad match up due to excalibur and berserk.

GG. I've alwayas wanted to make good excalibur unit, but never went through since I'd need an answer for cursed ring and holy absorb.

Squire vs Mime Summon
36 minutes long? I'm guessing it turns into a 1v1 between my snipe squire vs another character.

R1 - Didn't get to see any Lich. Pretty free round. Probably due to speed.

R2 - Calling this reinoe's win since all but one of my units are asleep..... At least no one had to commentate that.

R3 - (see r2)

GG. That was an ordeal. I think I had enough of this team already.

Thanks for the matches WKW. Good to see new players taking rounds.

Barren

whats the video plugin you use? the one I use for some reason whites out when bahamut does mega flare

Shintroy

Try out P.E.Op.S. Soft Driver 1.17. FFT runs fine for me using this with default settings.

Corosar

Quote from: White Knight Wiegraf on June 27, 2015, 05:45:07 am
FFT ARENA 139C - Corosar (Multi-verse Unity) vs Barren (On Target)

DWAGONS!~

still that went far better then i expected... i didn't calculate that my flare would do over 400... that PA save on Star's Paladin will help out in the longer fights! Without Vireblaze's priest though we were screwed in the first round due to uneven terrain. Our Monk method of bringing our team back does not work without level ground >~< and for some reason my character is like "Nope fairy for pansys be gonna nuke!~" ahh well... Reks' Unit did not have chakra at all... i double checked my note i saved on the characters i gathered from everyone and it didn't say so... though Rek's procs did do when taking out single targets!. Vireblaze's drawouts do help with that painful casting speed of the nukem spell. Great match Barren and thanks White knight! i was actually scared of all them status barren brought to the table in this match!
Time for a new season!

V 1.4.1 W/L: 3 / 7
V 1.4 W/L: 3 / 14.5
V 1.39 W/L: 13.25 / 22

Heroebal

Looks like I'm gonna have to put some sort of tank on there. I need to fix that bard too. I don't mind that he sings but not the whole time lol. Maybe if I take out nameless dance he won't sing as much and use more of the yin yang magic? I also think I'm gonna have to switch out death sentence on the mediator to something.

I don't think my knightitsu was a very big fan of squirejitsu , looks I should switch switch his mantle to ice absorption. I think I could need more resurrection power on one of the units, possibly the geo.

Kurosabes

Shintroy: I'm not sure how I did it, but I would guess it's because I used an old version of memcard generator (since I don't have Excel 2007+).

Barren: I use Pete's OPENGL2 Driver 2.9

Shintroy

SP Boosting Earth Absorb vs Defensive team.

GG. Didn't think I'd lose this one. I thought the Archer would criple barren's team since Earth Dragon would hit 100% of the time and waste some of his turns.

R1 - Started great with a 10+ SP Scholar. Tornado redirect turned this sour quickly.

R2 - Shameful display from the Samurai the entire round. Never had one of my units tanked so badly before. Good stuff. Didn't help that I could't kill the Ninja with anyone aside from the Scholar.

Would the ninja work better if the bag was the secondary weapon instead? Houkouton would do more damage this way right? Never used Houkouton before aside from that one berserk mime team that was bugged.

I wonder if I should go with a Masamune equipped Bard instead.

Thanks for the match WKW.

Barren

Quote from: Shintroy on July 03, 2015, 02:40:46 am
SP Boosting Earth Absorb vs Defensive team.

GG. Didn't think I'd lose this one. I thought the Archer would criple barren's team since Earth Dragon would hit 100% of the time and waste some of his turns.

R1 - Started great with a 10+ SP Scholar. Tornado redirect turned this sour quickly.

R2 - Shameful display from the Samurai the entire round. Never had one of my units tanked so badly before. Good stuff. Didn't help that I could't kill the Ninja with anyone aside from the Scholar.

Would the ninja work better if the bag was the secondary weapon instead? Houkouton would do more damage this way right? Never used Houkouton before aside from that one berserk mime team that was bugged.

I wonder if I should go with a Masamune equipped Bard instead.

Thanks for the match WKW.

Yea good point actually I didn't think about that. I was wondering why my ninja did less than a 100 with houkouton. After looking at the damage calculation I know now why. Thanks for correcting me Shintroy.

I actually drew inspiration after watching Fanatic's old team that had a distraction unit. So I decided to make one of my own and it is rather defensive. More defensive than even I would give my own team credit for. It did a good job tanking through your damage output. Though it was noticeably little. I guess protect/shell was the culprit or your damage output was too low. It could have gone higher initially. GG Shintroy

As far as masamune katana bard you can try. I would think equip heavy blade and with thief hat + secret clothes + sprint shoes would help out. Just make sure you have someone that can buff him with protect/shell/reraise etc. I think talk skill or charm bards with haste can be deadly

Kurosabes

Heroebal

I got very luck this round that none of those petrifies didn't land, that would have been gg. Usually this squad folds like a deck of cards once the mages are down (especially the priest, as scholar can't ressurect her back up). This squad has big issues with sinkhole which is why I was trying to implement short charge in the other versions. But she wasn't doing enough damage with shades with sc. Maybe SC for priest but then she'll get nuked. So maybe SC plus Setiemson?

Thanks for the info on the Quickening. I essentially had the quickening on them for when they had nothing better to do or if they were in crit status and ran off into a corner (make themselves even faster so they get back on frontlines quicker once shade heals them up). I do not want the thieves to run off into a corner I'd rather they just die so they can pop back up quicker...
I also noticed my 2nd thief is not really using kagesougi, he's pretty much opting for damage/climhazzard procs instead (I guess the ai priortizing dmg/chance to ko over status infliction).  The thieves on my team may be better served with a mixture of bad luck/steal accessory/more tons for 2nd thief instead.

Because essentially how the team works is this:
-->Start of match thieves rush forward causing as much damage/status inflicting as possible and keep the opponent's squad preoccupied as long as possible on their end of the board until the thieves hp has been extinquished. 

-->This will hopefully allow time for the scholar to set off shadow shades and the priest to buff with haste.

-->Next by the time the opposing team starts approaching the scholar/priest, they should be weakened enough from shades/thief dmg for the scholar/priest to start laying units out (especially mages) with quake/bio/demi spells.

--> If somehow that's not enough than hopefully the scholar/priest can still deal out enough damage/healing/status inflictions to buy time for the theives to wake back up (which shouldn't take long because they're fast) and start wrecking havoc again.
--> It's kind of a yo-yo or yin/yang effect until eventually the thieves overwhelm with their speed.

So far through my test runs the team has had issues with sinkhole/short charge spells (which showed in first round), status inflictions (esp petrify for the thieves and DA/silence/sleep/petrify for mages). It's why I keep going back and forth on accessories/armors trying to nullify status w/o sacrificing damage output too much. ATM I have it set up so it's ok for one mage to be silenced (scholar has DO) and the other can't get DA (priest). Although I'm thinking the priest would be better with silence protection b/c if she's DA's she will just run away. 

Hyraldelita

i'm reading some posts.. yea everything is cool but where the hello do i download this patch? XD
I can't find any link here