• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Empty Slots for Sprites - giving yourself custom uniques

Started by Knock, September 14, 2015, 04:19:57 pm

Knock

So heya, I'm just getting into hacking WOTL, just want to do some minor basic changes to this game so I can play it for the fifth or so time! This time around, I want to give Ramza some unique party members. I already have one dude (bodyguard-esque guy using Cloud's sprite slot), but I want to put some others in. I don't want to overwrite any sprites that will show up in game (Cloud is okay because I don't plan to do his questline). Are there any blank or unused sprites I'm safe to use?

Bonus:

edit: 39 and 3A (in the newest ShiShi editor) are assigned to Celia (never used) and Lettie (never used) respectively, which I suspect are usable slots. That's the kinda stuff I'm looking for!

Angel

Those are the only two 100% unused, while others can be freed up with some ENTD work. Agrias, Mustadio, and a few others have duplicate sprites because one is used when they're a guest, and another is used on join up. Just change the appropriate ENTDs to always call the originals, and then you can replace their duplicates with whatever you like.
  • Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Kuro-Hime

September 14, 2015, 06:09:53 pm #2 Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 06:44:56 pm by Kuro-Hime
Hum, i'm trying that too Knock ^^

I think you can add Valmafra the (21) she appear during the story, but just here and here
Or Simon (13) Appear something like 2 times :)
Maybe Orran (15) appear fews time tough...

All of them work well on battle, pre-battle and formation screen ^^ so this is pretty easy to change their sprite
I will add them at the beggining like bonus character and work with to create Terra, Lenneth and Tifa :)

You can aslo add ramza chapter 1 AFTER this chapter, and change sprite of ramza ch1.
If this work, in the same way, you can add Argath, Delita ch1, Ramza ch2,  Alma, Ovelia, Gaffgarion :)

QuoteJust change the appropriate ENTDs to always call the originals, and then you can replace their duplicates with whatever you like.

Humm good to know ^^ Will take SOME time to mod all scene where agrias appear, but definitely a good information ^^

Angel

Those are just sprite sheets that work as customs. Knock was asking which sprite slots are never used in game, so that they can be replaced with customs without breaking anything. Replacing Balmafula, Simon, and Olan would most certainly alter events and break EVTCHRs.

Freeing up the Ramza alts also wouldn't work because of the many many many EVTCHRs it would break. Same with the others. And why would you modify a game to only work after chapter 1?

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame

Kuro-Hime

Knock

Excellent, I have three new mercenary dudes as uniques in the game now. Only issue - the Celia and Lettie (never used) guys don't have formation sprites, which is merely irritating rather than game-ending for me. Any thoughts on how to assign formation sprites/portraits to them, or should I just ignore it? I've seen snippets about doing so in older posts, but nothing concrete. Also getting the latest techniques might be helpful!

Angel

Dude, the stickied topic right at the top in the forum you're in right now, come on.

Note that male samurai is just used as an example. That is one instruction you do not need to follow precisely. It's a thorough example that cites a thorough example, but being concise isn't always the best thing.

Knock

Quote from: Toshiko on September 16, 2015, 08:22:39 am
Dude, the stickied topic right at the top in the forum you're in right now, come on.

Note that male samurai is just used as an example. That is one instruction you do not need to follow precisely. It's a thorough example that cites a thorough example, but being concise isn't always the best thing.

Which is of course a useful tutorial, and what I used to replace the Cloud sprite in game. However, FFTEVGRP doesn't display any formation sprites for Celia and Lettie (Never Used) because obviously they don't need formation sprites in the base game. I was curious instead whether there was a way to assign those two formation sprites.

Angel

Aha! Sorry, it didn't even occur to me that UWEntries wasn't mentioned in either tutorial, my fault. But, since this is WotL and not FFT, I'm honestly not sure of an analogue to UWEntries for WotL, or if UWEntries can be modified to work with WotL. I can't even find mention of it on the forums. My apologies again.

Knock

No biggy! I'm sure there's a WAY, but it doesn't bother me over-much anyhow! Thanks for your help!

Nyzer

You need to move sprites like Balmafula over to the Celia & Lettie slots, then replace the Balmafula character in every ENTD she appears in. Or you cut down on the Agrias etc. duplicates.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown