• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:25:25 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Sprite Editing Question (PPSSPP WOTL)

Started by kwall14, April 10, 2016, 04:28:03 am

kwall14

Hopefully this is the correct place to ask this question. I figured because it's specific to WOTL and has to do with Sprites, which is pretty much hacking, then I could ask here!

I'll keep it simple for now and if someone needs me to elaborate, I can.

As the topic suggests, I'm simply trying to edit the generic female samurai sprite of the psp Final Fantasy Tactics remake. I am playing through the ppsspp emulator (an older version), and the game works 98 percent perfect on it's own. I've spent the last two days trying to follow the guides which are now a couple years old, and managed to get the formation screen and portrait loaded in and changed. However, I can't get the battle sprite to come through.

As of right now I've been extracting the fftpack.bin and editing the "SAMU_W.BIN" file inside the "BATTLE" folder of the fftpack.bin via graphics gale. When I pull up this file I've re colored and edited, through Shishi, it comes up as the edited sprite just as I want it. So I know the edited file is indeed in the iso. However once I put it all back together and run the iso, it makes it as far as the title screen and turns black. If I hit any buttons it crashes. I've re done the entire process a few times now to make sure there wasn't any mistakes and I get the same result. Anyone think they know what the problem might be?

Thanks a ton. I'm really determined to get this to work.

Jumza

Quote from: kwall14 on April 10, 2016, 04:28:03 am
Hopefully this is the correct place to ask this question. I figured because it's specific to WOTL and has to do with Sprites, which is pretty much hacking, then I could ask here!

Yup, this is definitely the place to ask!

Quote from: kwall14 on April 10, 2016, 04:28:03 am
As of right now I've been extracting the fftpack.bin and editing the "SAMU_W.BIN" file inside the "BATTLE" folder of the fftpack.bin via graphics gale. When I pull up this file I've re colored and edited, through Shishi, it comes up as the edited sprite just as I want it.

The official PSP sprite changing tutorial makes it sound like you can just open up the ISO file with ShiShi and import / export without extrcting fftpack.bin. I could be wrong, since I've never used this tutorial before, but did you try that first?
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Angel

You need to use the right version of Shishi and the file size needs to be identical, but otherwise, yeah. Replacing the battle sprite is done automatically with Shishi.

The black screen + crash thing is pretty much normal behavior for PPSSPP until a year-ish ago or so. Current nightly builds run WotL fine, however. It's generally a good idea to regularly update PPSSPP because they fix a dozen bugs a day.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

kwall14

Ah thanks so much for your fast replies.

I have indeed extracted the fftpack.bin with fftpatcher and gone into the "battle" folder and tried to edit the female samurai Sprite directly. I'm figuring that's what is causing the game to crash for whatever reason, because when I use the unedited WOTL iso which only has the formation screen Sprite, it works just fine.

It sounds like I probably have an old version of Shishi, which is something I've suspected from the beginning... I'll give that a try and mess around with it for a while.

If I pull the Sprite file off of this website and put that into Shishi and export to the "battle" folder and overwrite the old Sprite should that be all there is to it?

kwall14

TOTALLY worked. I was using the oldest version of Shishi lol. The new one is so much better... anyway, it works! Finally!

Thanks for your help guys.

Jumza

Woo! Glad we could help point you in the right direction. Usually we can't fix WoTL problems :P
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

exkosikat

i think I've read some post that u cant change type 1 to type 2 and vice versa in psp version..

is it true?

3lric

no. just depends on the sprite size for WotL.

exkosikat

so if i can import type 2 on type 1 sprite, vice versa then change the SHP, SEQ type to the corresponding sprite that i import,

there wont be a graphical glitch?

Jumza

Leimery

im facing the same issue, formation sprites work just fine, however the battle ones dont. i tried using the latest Shishi version and just exporting directly onto the battle files then i recomplie everything using ftpatcher and finally creating the ISO. it just crashes whenever i launch the game.

• Modding version: Other/Unknown

January

Since this thread is already near the top, I thought maybe I'd just ask here.  When using a sprite with multiple palettes into a party member slot, is there a way I can choose which palette is used?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Nyzer

I don't know why you wouldn't just make your own topic, but no. The extra palettes can't be used by party members.

There might be an ASM hack to enable it, though. But I have no idea. And don't expect it - if it exists - to be usable on PSP.

elkanbrand

July 02, 2017, 08:33:18 pm #13 Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 10:34:46 pm by elkanbrand
FFTEVGRP link is down, is there a replacement or alt program for this step in spriting?? I am attempting to replace the male knight and lancer with Delita 2-3 and Delita 4; also replace others with some of the great custom sprites if the process is not too difficult.
  • Modding version: WotL

Nyzer

Ildon

August 24, 2017, 08:23:43 am #15 Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 06:02:44 am by Ildon
Quote from: January on April 22, 2017, 04:23:23 pm
Since this thread is already near the top, I thought maybe I'd just ask here.  When using a sprite with multiple palettes into a party member slot, is there a way I can choose which palette is used?

I understand that this reply may be a bit late to be of any use.  However, I do believe that by reordering the palettes such that the desired palette is first then your generic humans will use the desired palette. 

Take note that you will have to update the palettes for all relevant sprite sheets/portraits for this to have the desired effect. 

Below should be a link to a video that I watched earlier that was linked to from this site.  I realize that I should probably link to the thread where it came from, but I have been awake for too long to have the energy to hunt it down at the moment.
PSP - Zalera Boss Battle Hack

Edit:
You'll also have to update the UNIT.BIN and WLDFACE.BIN in order to update formation sprites/portraits.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
(PSP) FFT: GGL Edition 0.9.81 is now available. check here