• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 12:14:40 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Problems with elemental effects

Started by RavenCurow, September 27, 2014, 08:03:15 pm

RavenCurow

Okay, so I made a patch for my game that turned Ramza's base job into a Warrior based off of FFX-2. However I notice when using his moves in game my elemental attacks don't seem to do added damage against things that are weak against them. Ex: Ice Brand does the same as Liquid Steel to a goblin that is weak against ice. Did I miss something when making this move? I checked the Ice element box in fftpatcher.
  • Modding version: PSX
Ramza: Delita, your hurt?
Delita: No, really? Did you think I was taking a nap down here?

Argy

Hello,
I to had this problem when making my FFT X-2 patch. There is an ASM hack that allows all formulas to have elemental properties. Search the forum and I am sure you will find it. I used the swordskill formula for flametongue and it worked.etc.
Good luck with your patch. :-)
Kotetsu Quad Killer!!

RavenCurow

Unfortunately I am unable to use asm patches as I'm patching the psp version. Does anyone know if I can patch a psx version and then convert it to psp and apply my patches over it?

Argy

Do you mean creating an eboot version of a psx file? That is what I did. I left the psp version alone simply because of the fact that you cannot make the indepth modifications that the psx version can with its ASM. It also means that you will not have FOCUS for you Black Mage.
Kotetsu Quad Killer!!

RavenCurow

I've thought of going to psx, but I'd miss the cutscenes. I haven't seen them all yet. That and I like the naming conventions. And...if I modded the psx version I'd be tempted to go through all the quotes and fix the grammar errors and write new ones for stupid chants. I mean come on...Revenge with dark evil spell? Couldn't think of anything better for Demi?

Argy

Lol, I have disabled all of the quotes... not my cup of tea. Also the grammar, spelling....etc...Understandable about cut scenes, extra content, bigger roster etc and my first hack was for the PSP, with a DnD focus. Have you figured out what you are going to use for trigger happy? And the Dark Knight ability that hits 10 times, whose name eludes me?
Kotetsu Quad Killer!!

RavenCurow

I hadn't planned on making an entire FFX-2 roster. So far I've only been doing minor editing with much of a full scale focus. I'm rather new to this. Mainly I've been modifying Ramza's job to get a feel for things. The first time I just made him a Dark Knight with extra moves. I called it a Heretic Knight. I gave him the Dark Knight moveset with a modified Holy Explosion that I called Unholy Explosion. Same move just dark elemental and it caused doom and ko. I got bored of that quickly tough as it was just normal moves. Then I got the idea of making an entirely new class and made the warrior from ffx-2. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that elemental abilities were attached to the formulas. I only noticed it when I noticed that I wasn't getting extra elemental damage from ice brand against goblins.

Argy

Good to see that you are getting into the hacking of the game!! I love FFT X-2, and I have tried to replicate as accurately as I can all aspects of it. Songstress was interesting!! I also had all 3 classes ready to go from the off as well. Warrior, thief and gunner. I look forward to your work. Good luck!
Kotetsu Quad Killer!!

RavenCurow

Thanks for the encouragement. I may have to switch to the psx version as well if I want to do much it seems. Its very limiting on creating movesets when you can't even add elemental effects freely. I guess I'll have to satisfy my curiousity for the cutscenes with youtube. T.T