Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13
GET SMOKED
Bonesy [Posts: 82]
  • View Profile
  • http://steamcommunity.com/id/rwbonesy/
  • [March 15, 2016, 05:02:57 AM]
Re: Final Fantasy Tactics: Kind Of PSX (Current version: 2.5)
« Reply #120 on: March 15, 2016, 05:02:57 AM »
Necroposting b/c I was wondering if there way any way to trick ePSXe/PCSX-R into using a separate set of savestates for KO PSX than regular FFT.
The Puppet ---Master---
Elric (Overseer) [Posts: 3799]
  • View Profile
  • Youtube Channel
  • http://steamcommunity.com/id/Bones42
  • [March 15, 2016, 05:55:33 AM]
« Reply #121 on: March 15, 2016, 05:55:33 AM »
Edit the SCUS

• Modding version: PSX
  • <@Angel> Teach a man to fish and he'll open up a fishery to compete against yours.
    Journey of the Five Youtube ChannelThe Lion War Current Status

Jot5 Leader :: Eventer :: OtherTLW Leader :: Eventer :: Other
    GET SMOKED
    • View Profile
    • [March 15, 2016, 07:08:23 AM]
    « Reply #122 on: March 15, 2016, 07:08:23 AM »
    ah ok, thought it'd be something like that but wasn't sure lol

I imagine I can't just export it in CD Mage, rename it, and port it back in? HOORAY ME BEING BABY TIER AT THIS
    « Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 07:47:52 AM by Bonesy »
  • Toshiko
    Angel (Empress) [Posts: 1226]
    • View Profile
    • にゃにゃめにゃにゃじゅうにゃにゃどのにゃらびでにゃくにゃくいにゃにゃくにゃにゃはんにゃにゃだいにゃんにゃくにゃらべてにゃがにゃがめ
    • [March 15, 2016, 11:47:23 AM]
    « Reply #123 on: March 15, 2016, 11:47:23 AM »
    That's exactly what you do.

• * Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
    <@Elric> I agree to that as well
    At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?
    The Puppet ---Master---
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • [March 15, 2016, 01:10:26 PM]
    « Reply #124 on: March 15, 2016, 01:10:26 PM »
    Was actually pretty sure there was some other editing involved...

There are programs that can change the ID for you though

• <@Angel> Teach a man to fish and he'll open up a fishery to compete against yours.

GET SMOKED
    • View Profile
    • [March 15, 2016, 05:11:25 PM]
    « Reply #125 on: March 15, 2016, 05:11:25 PM »
    I couldn't find anything but crap for PS1 -> PSP for whatever reason. Gotta go home soon though, so yeah.
    Enoch [Posts: 3]
    • View Profile
    • [September 28, 2016, 08:00:23 AM]
    « Reply #126 on: September 28, 2016, 08:00:23 AM »
    I'm nearing the end of a game using this mod. This was my first time trying any FFT mod, and it has generally been a positive experience. The mod was easy to utilize for someone with no technical knowledge, and gameplay has been fun.

I only noticed two things that seem like bugs:

The "high faith" message at the end of each battle for generic characters is bugged. Characters with faith too high (85 or more) all say one of the "low brave" messages: "I'm...I'm afraid. I'm afraid of dying!" They don't cycle through all the low brave messages either, only this one line is invariably repeated every time by every character whose faith is too high.

In Chapter 4, Ramza in his Squire class is able to equip every single type of armor and weapon in the game. If this is intended that's fine, but it seemed strange to me.

Also, I think it was a bad decision to change "Move MP Up" to the Dancer skillset. The mod really exagerrates the original game problem of nearly useless spellcasting to the extreme point of totally useless spellcasting, and this one point in particular seems to be the icing on that cake (namely, now male spellcasters are implausible as they cannot reliably maintain MP).  As I said, I'm nearing the end of chapter 4, and I've used the same five physical attack characters in the same setups in every battle, finding no reason to change anything. I've enjoyed playing the mod-- lack of fun certainly isn't the issue here. But by reducing spellcasting to total irrelevance, there is a noticeable lack of variety or game balance if that was one of the mod's major goals.

Apart from the first chapter when I was figuring out how the mod plays, I've only used five characters to play through the whole game:

Ramza: Squire with Item secondary
    Rad: Monk with either Basic Skill or Item secondary
    Lavian: Ninja with Steal secondary
    Mustadio: Engineer with Item secondary
    Agrias: Holy Knight with Talk secondary

Overall, I'd say the author did a good job on this mod because the result is fun to play and there are no technical problems, even though I don't agree with some of the game design choices the mod presents.
    Mediator
    Eternal [Posts: 3004]
    • View Profile
    • [September 29, 2016, 11:47:34 PM]
    « Reply #127 on: September 29, 2016, 11:47:34 PM »
    Hey Enoch! Welcome to FFH, and thanks for playing KO! It's actually very interesting that you posted when you did, since I've been working over the course of the past few weeks on a much-needed update. I'm glad you found it enjoyable! I'll address your concerns, since I have a few of my own with what you've mentioned.

In regards to the high Faith and Chapter IV Ramza points, did you patch a clean, unmodded ISO? These aren't changes that were made with the mod and shouldn't be happening. I double checked the Patcher, and have confirmed that Ramza shouldn't be able to equip everything. My concern is that this may be being caused by patching KO on top of other mods, causing these issues.

In regards to spellcasting, the update I'm working on makes magic more useful, but I would argue magic is already pretty good. Black Magic decimates everything early game, Summons are safe, Time Magic statuses turn the tide of battle, etc. The update I'm working on buffs Summons and Time Magic while giving more MP to certain jobs. As far as Move-MP Up and MP Switch are concerned, I'm also working on a way to move those off of Bard/Dancer and return them to normal. There's a hack that causes damage to overflow from MP, which I want to use, but I want to ensure it's safe to use first.

"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
    • View Profile
    • [September 30, 2016, 06:34:54 PM]
    « Reply #128 on: September 30, 2016, 06:34:54 PM »
    Thanks for the mod. I'm wrapping up the Deep Dungeon right now, and will go into the final battles soon. Overall I enjoyed a lot of your customizations, such as the class changes and the different item functionality. Having enemies match the player's level in story battles and only having to do random encounters when desired were also wonderful improvements-- the latter was one of the things that usually makes me get bored and lose interest when playing the standard/original game.

My technical knowledge is zero, but as far as I know I used a clean iso when applying your mod. I just copied the iso I've been using for many years of the regular game, but I don't know the version or anything (nor how to check the version). My emulator is psx 1.13.

I looked just now, and it's just all armors and helmets Ramza Squire can equip, rather than all items. For weapons he is properly limited to swords, flails, daggers, and shields, and in accessories he can't use women's items (as it should be), so sorry for misreporting on that aspect.

On the high faith comments using low brave quotes, other than as you mentioned maybe my iso isn't standard (I've had it so long I don't remember anymore where it came from), the only unusual thing I did was that I wasn't satisfied with some of the original recruits (the ones that come along with Ramza from the military academy at the start of the game), so I gamesharked them to have Brave and Faith that I wanted in Chapter 1.

On the game balance, I think I could have used spellcasters or other characters successfully, but the difficulty would have been much greater and the battles would have taken much longer. The physical attack team I've been using (described earlier) are true behemoths, almost always cutting down all enemies in a five turns or less. So perhaps it's these physical characters who are too strong rather than mages being too weak, that's certainly possible. I'd say throughout the whole game so far only one battle gave me serious difficulty-- at Nevelska against Worker 7. I had to reset that one a number of times to win while also getting the shield and javelin buried items.

Keep up the good work. I'll definitely keep an eye out for updates, as I'd much prefer playing your mod to the regular version of the game.

GET SMOKED
    • View Profile
    • [October 06, 2016, 03:14:35 AM]
    « Reply #129 on: October 06, 2016, 03:14:35 AM »
    oh yeah if anyone cares what i ended up doing for that stuff in March was going into the ISO with HXD I believe (any hex editor will do, though), and just searching for the region code and replacing it i believe twice or so.

looking forward to new KO in any case.
    Mediator
    • View Profile
    • [October 09, 2016, 05:38:58 PM]
    « Reply #130 on: October 09, 2016, 05:38:58 PM »
    So, here's a preview of what the next update will have. The focus of this next update will be making monsters and Ramza more useful, fixing oversights, adding a bunch of quality of life changes, and restoring some thing that weren't in the original Vanilla FFT. To that end, it diverges slightly from KO's original intentions of keeping everything the same as Vanilla, which is why I'll be leaving the older updates up. That said, I think these changes will make the game more enjoyable to both new fans of the game and long-time vets. I'm hoping to release the patch once I'm done testing. I'm currently at Adrammelech, so that should be fairly soon.

-QUALITY OF LIFE CHANGES-

-BUG FIXES-

-STATUS CHANGES-

-JOB CHANGES-

-ABILITY CHANGES-

-RAMZA CHANGES-

-DEEP DUNGEON CHANGES-

-MONSTER CHANGES-

-All playable monsters have lost Innate: Gained EXP Up.

CHOCOBOS:

GOBLINS:

BOMBS:

COEURLS:

MINDFLAYERS:

SKELETONS:

GHOSTS:

AHRIMANS:

COCKATRICES:

PIGS:

TREANTS:

MINOTAURS:

MALBOROS:

BEHEMOTHS:

DRAGONS:

HYDRAS:

OTHER MONSTERS:

MISCELLANEOUS CHANGES:

There will likely be more changes as I continue testing, but this is what's brewing right now. Miraculously, most of these changes were done on my laptop when my desktop was dead. Even though I couldn't mod A2 because of my desktop being dead, I wasn't going to just sit around doing nothing, haha. Thoughts and input welcome, as always!
    « Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 06:30:00 PM by Eternal »
    "You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
    Timbo [Posts: 520]
    • View Profile
    • [October 10, 2016, 02:08:31 PM]
    « Reply #131 on: October 10, 2016, 02:08:31 PM »
    I continue to be impressed with your creativity and your ability to reinvent the wheel. Bravo sir.

With Regards to the changes:

Ramza: I've done similar things with Ramza's skills in my personal patches but nothing this intricate or organized. Making him an onion knight as well is icing on a very tasty cake.

Monsters: Again, I've done something similar to this in the past. I've made sure that each monster family had a specific function with a minor variation between specific monsters. You've taken this idea to it's extreme and it's brilliant.

Deep Dungeon: Your changes to the deep dungeon are flavorful and fun. Bringing back the unique items without having to search around for them in the dark is much more fun.

I had planned to release a different vanilla patch with many of the same mechanical changes that included a new translation. Rather, than going back to the drawing board, I'm going to discontinue the mechanical changes altogether and solely focus on the translation. Personally, I believe KO is the definitive vanilla FFT experience. Great work.
    • View Profile
    • [October 14, 2016, 09:00:27 PM]
    « Reply #132 on: October 14, 2016, 09:00:27 PM »
    The update sounds like it has a lot of interesting changes that will be fun to explore.

I'm not sure if anything can be done, but one other thing I noticed when I was playing recently that seemed like a bug concerns enemies in the Deep Dungeon who were previously allied with the player. They're able to trigger exits for the player's team.

For example, on one of the first Deep Dungeon levels (maybe the first), Algus was among the enemies. While Algus was moving around, he landed on the trigger square and kindly opened up the next level for my people.
    Timbo [Posts: 520]
    • View Profile
    • [October 15, 2016, 03:19:09 AM]
    « Reply #133 on: October 15, 2016, 03:19:09 AM »
    The update sounds like it has a lot of interesting changes that will be fun to explore.

I'm not sure if anything can be done, but one other thing I noticed when I was playing recently that seemed like a bug concerns enemies in the Deep Dungeon who were previously allied with the player. They're able to trigger exits for the player's team.

For example, on one of the first Deep Dungeon levels (maybe the first), Algus was among the enemies. While Algus was moving around, he landed on the trigger square and kindly opened up the next level for my people.

I bet changing his Unit ID would fix the problem.
    Emmy [Posts: 224]
    • View Profile
    • [October 15, 2016, 05:54:55 AM]
    « Reply #134 on: October 15, 2016, 05:54:55 AM »
    I'm pretty sure it's linked to the Attack.out conditionals.  Here's an example of some code that determines exit on a floor:

2500000001000100000001006800000001006500000019005D00
    2500000003000100000001006800010001006500000019005D00
    2500000008000300000001006800020001006500000019005D00
    2500000009000000000001006800030001006500000019005D00
    2500000009000600000001006800040001006500000019005D00

Breaking down this code:

25000000 = Any unit can trigger the event upon stepping on a specific square.  I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have to be player controlled, because I managed to accidentally create a map that won itself by removing the requirement for Ramza to have to step on the switches, and an enemy stepping on it triggered the end of the map.

010001000000 = Coordinates of exit - in this example, (1,1) is an exit.

010068000000 = If Variable 0x68 = 0... Variable 0x68 is the Deep Dungeon random exit variable.  It is randomly selected.

010065000000 = If Variable 0x65 = 0... Variable 0x65 is the floor increment variable (if you found the exit already, you won't find it again on the same floor).

19005D00 = Play event 0x5d - "We found the exit!"

So what I think happened was a fluke.  There is nothing in this code referencing sprite ID, so your exit was probably found by the (extremely small) chance that an enemy found it for you.
    The Puppet ---Master---
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • [October 15, 2016, 11:26:15 AM]
    « Reply #135 on: October 15, 2016, 11:26:15 AM »
    I already told him how to find it on his own via IRC, since I knew it was this from the beginning. He will never learn this stuff if we do it for him :D

[18:31] <&Elric> sounds like you flagged him weird or something
    [18:31] <Eternal> It's tied to an event.
    [18:31] <&Elric> no
    [18:31] <&Elric> it's tied to a condition
    [18:31] <Eternal> And since you're the master of unloc- events, I figured I'd pick your brain.
    [18:33] <&Elric> but yeah, thats not event related
    [18:34] <&Elric> maybe you should read the attack.out condition?
    [18:34] <&Elric> and see if it ever even specifies player team only

Emmy [Posts: 224]
    • View Profile
    • [October 15, 2016, 02:16:07 PM]
    « Reply #136 on: October 15, 2016, 02:16:07 PM »
    To be fair, the guide on how to change the attack out conditionals specifies that 25000000 is "player controlled unit" (when I'm pretty sure it's any unit).
    Mediator
    • View Profile
    • [October 23, 2016, 03:27:12 PM]
    Re: Final Fantasy Tactics: Kind Of PSX (Current version: 2.6)
    « Reply #137 on: October 23, 2016, 03:27:12 PM »
    It's finally out! Can you believe it'd been three years since the last update? Time flies! There have been lots of cool new things released since the last release, and this update is all about quality of life changes, buffing monsters so more people can enjoy Beastmaster runs, and fixing bugs as well as adding a modern polish to FFT while adding back in some of the unused content and keeping it feeling like FFT. There's a huge changelog, but I'd advise reading it all to get a feel for everything.

FFT KO 2.6 Changelog:

-QUALITY OF LIFE CHANGES-

-BUG FIXES-

-STATUS CHANGES-

-JOB CHANGES-

-ABILITY CHANGES-

-RAMZA CHANGES-

-DEEP DUNGEON CHANGES-

-MONSTER CHANGES-

-All playable monsters have lost Innate: Gained EXP Up.

CHOCOBOS:

GOBLINS:

BOMBS:

COEURLS:

MINDFLAYERS:

SKELETONS:

GHOSTS:

AHRIMANS:

COCKATRICES:

PIGS:

TREANTS:

MINOTAURS:

MALBOROS:

BEHEMOTHS:

DRAGONS:

HYDRAS:

OTHER MONSTERS:

MISCELLANEOUS CHANGES:

KNOWN BUGS:

I'm sure you all will find unbalanced things and bugs, so if you do, please report them! I played through the game, but it's entirely possible that I've missed things. I hope everyone enjoys! KO is meant to be the definitive version of Vanilla, and I really feel like that's been achieved, especially with this latest update.

By the by, thanks to Xif and the other ASMers who've worked super hard on these new changes. They're really awesome and you should check out their work. It's hard stuff, so be sure to thank them!
    « Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 03:50:07 PM by Eternal »
    Ribasomi [Posts: 1]
    • View Profile
    • [October 25, 2016, 09:44:30 AM]
    Re: Final Fantasy Tactics: Kind Of PSX (Current version: 2.6)
    « Reply #138 on: October 25, 2016, 09:44:30 AM »
    It's finally out! Can you believe it'd been three years since the last update? Time flies! There have been lots of cool new things released since the last release, and this update is all about quality of life changes, buffing monsters so more people can enjoy Beastmaster runs, and fixing bugs as well as adding a modern polish to FFT while adding back in some of the unused content and keeping it feeling like FFT. There's a huge changelog, but I'd advise reading it all to get a feel for everything.

FFT KO 2.6 Changelog:

Hey, this looks awesome.

Are you going to update the PSP version?
    GET SMOKED
    • View Profile
    • [October 25, 2016, 02:32:14 PM]
    but wotl sucks
    Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13