• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Knox' Sprites etc.

Started by Knox, September 20, 2009, 10:34:38 pm

Pixy

Quote from: "Jon"Hmmm, I wonder how Ramza in Delita armor would look if the armor was not gold but maybe a silverish color?? I mean in the whole game, I don't think any character actually wears silver colored armor (which technically in real life is far more common than something made entirely out of gold haha), and also, I only suggested you change the red tunic because it is Delita's color, but yeah, Ramza looks alright in it too I guess...

I played with that idea in the past. It didn't come out too bad.

*is FFTRamza*
no, I mean what I said. Perhaps if I said it in Japanese it'd become magically better for you. - philsov

Jon

Haha! Nice one. However, now the blues there look somehow a bit strange. It is a good concept, though. I think I will change my Ramza eventually...thanks for posting Pixy!
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

SilvasRuin

I think that the gray/light blue parts look a bit too... I don't know, pastel?  It doesn't quite look like metal.  Maybe plastic...

Jon

It probably could look more metally if you change the lightness in PS or GG...or you could simply tell people that he is wearing crystal armor >_> yeah that would do it....

mav

Yeah, the armor color looks a bit strange, but the color combination (blue and silver to Delita's red and gold) looks good.

jimmyjw88

The silver looks blueish. Kinda like bit teal + silver.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Smash

Quote from: "Jon"It probably could look more metally if you change the lightness in PS or GG...or you could simply tell people that he is wearing crystal armor >_> yeah that would do it....
Or in Paint. :(

I think it may be a good idea to have the darker gray shades orange or brown, somehow like the rust effect works in my Ramza artwork.. That way it'd clash with the blue and not look all joined.. And darken the blue too, perhaps.

mav

That's a very interesting idea, Smash. Jon, if you can manage to get the colors to blend nicely with each other, this will work out quite nicely. And if you're in the mood to change palettes quickly, you should really look into Zodiac's program. It definitely sped up the process for me...

Jon

Done, and hopefully it looks a bit more metally:

@Mav- I have Zodiac's palette program, but my main problem/concern is how do I take colors from one .bmp/.png and use those exact colors on another bmp? It always changes the colors to colors that are similar, but not exact...

VampragonLord

slightly too green in there. Reduce green, increase red (only a small amount)
15:05   slave: consensual slavery is the best thing ever~

Jon

I see what you mean Vamp. This is based solely off of Ramza chapter 2's legs, came out here a bit muddy green brown...strange. Thanks though :)

jimmyjw88

Looks better but if you could make the armor look bit rusty as what Smash suggested, I think it would be great. Good job.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Jon

Okay, I have decided it. I plan to make a full sprite sheet of Ramza in Delita armor similar to this, but as Smash said: with rust. I will post it eventually on my sprite page...gimme a little time please ;) also will have correct colors in metal wise- greenish brown will be gone.

mav

Quote from: "Jon"I have Zodiac's palette program, but my main problem/concern is how do I take colors from one .bmp/.png and use those exact colors on another bmp?
It's not perfect, but here's what you can do: open the palette editor twice, then open the file to edit in the first window and have the file whose colors you want in the other window, then hit "Color Edit" and double click on the boxes whose values you're going to edit and take, then copy the RGB values from the second window to the first's. Again, it's not perfect, but it's faster than doing it in GraphicsGale (though not nearly as quick and easy as doing it in Photoshop).

As for the current sprite, those blues are beautiful--keep 'em, but try replacing the silvers with the exact values used on Ch. 2/3 Ramza (it's a dirty looking silver--I like it a lot).

Also, sorry for hijacking your thread, Knox.

Knox

Not bad guys, sorry i just haven't had time to spend on it lately, but ill definately get onto it when i do find the time.
I like how its looking but i still fiercly don't agree with blue so much- but i wasn't making the sprite for just me anyways, I'd just like to offer something to the project you guys are doing- Which reminds me of the merc Ramza i was working on- Though the MERC group already made themselves a pretty sprite using smash's armor. Though mine was more based on Gafgarions look but w/e! lol

So pretty much im working on:
Merc-styled Ramza
The Holyknight-esque Ramza
possibly Kain and General Leo if i ever get around to them.
My Custom character.
And My WoS sprite character somewhat based off delita, I'll show you guys because I seriously need some crits on how to make the new legs work, and make a better more detailed face- even if i have to make the whole sprite larger because It's kind of tiny in WoS' to begin with.

Used Ansem from Chain of Memories as a base, this was my first project as a spriter, so its been something ive been working on little by little since i got into spriting. The sprite is small, which makes it hard to put any real great detail into it, which is what i want to do eventually, I really want to make a better face/head eventually we'll see where this little project leads.
And yes it was originally supposed to be a Delita sprite but I've moved on from that to make it something else.
  • Modding version: PSX
~Auranhiem

Jon

1st, thank you again Mav. I think even with Photoshop it is close to impossible to get the exact colors, but so long as they are almost impossibly close which makes them the same for a human's eye, who cares right? As long as colors aren't over saturated, no one really complains. Honestly, I don't like Zodiac's program too much, -it does work well though to all of you out there who haven't tried it- , but (to Smash's malcontent) I think PS is still maybe the best (for me at least...)

2nd, Knox, what is WoS? I haven't got the foggiest idea...your sprite is kinda cool, but shouldn't an attack pose have the character sorta be in a crouched forward position? I sorta used to fence, and lemme tell you: attacking involves lunging, unless of course you are running past someone as you strike. Good work though, keep it up ;)

mav

By the way, Jon, is your Tools window open in Photoshop? With the Magic Wand Tool and the correct foreground color (or whatever color you select with the eyedropper), you can get the exact hexcode, HSL, and RGB of the colors. That's what I do, whenever I use Photoshop. And if necessary, you can copy those RGB values to Zodiac's program, or do whatever with 'em.

And that's a pretty interesting sprite, Knox, though the shading will take some getting used to. I don't know what WoS is either, but I'm an old fogy, so I guess that's my problem.

Knox

It's a 5 frame based system, theres a sprite for default moving and 1 for when you strike, 1 for magic, 1 for hurt, and one for talking.
WoS is Well of Souls, its an older game.
If course im sure attacking involves lunging but i am not that advanced in spriting yet but ill eventually get to it.
Right now I've totally redone his armor, have to redo his legs completely again, and a whole new head which is the hardest part for me, because i am better with some kind of base; I may just make a helmet covering his face with some hair hanging out the back. We'll see.

I just wanted to show you guys what i was working on, and maybe you guys might have some good face/head examples i can learn from that carry a fair ammount of detail.
~Auranhiem

Jon

Ha! I guessed that the 'S' in WoS meant souls...gimme a medal...also, yep, I now see what you mean Mav, this has helped out a ton, so thanks alot :)

Knox

Ahah, yeah i just took the icebrand straight from FFT and made it on a larger scale, thats why it looks funny. No worries though, they're just there because it was one of the first things i fiddled with and thought they were pretty :]
~Auranhiem