• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 01:15:01 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

How to sync evtchr palettes?

Started by Ansehelm, March 08, 2019, 01:10:39 pm

Ansehelm

Heyo homies, another deep question for ya:

So for my mod I'm making several evtchr edits so that new sprites match up with the cutscene sprites.  For example, I'm using the de-hooded version of Meliadoul, so I'm editing sprites 116 0-2.  The easy part is editing the actual pixel art, the hard part is getting the palettes to sync up properly so that each character displays without wonky colors (the hooded Meliadoul uses a fairly different palette and color order than the vanilla Melly).  https://ibb.co/HnWfxNw.  I adjusted the order of the colors in the palette for the first image, sort of eyeballing them to follow the similar pattern for the palettes in the next two images (the first image has meliadoul's palette, the second, Ramzas, the third, the Zodiac stone's).  Unfortunately, the colors have to be in exactly the right order, and I don't know of a reliable way to predict this.  Otherwise one image will look fine, but the other two (Ramza and the stone) will be wonky.

Bottom line is, I can figure this out with A LOT of trial and error, but there's gotta be an easier way, some sort of systematic method to make the palettes sync up with the colors of the modified palette in the proper order.  Unleash your wisdom upon me
  • Modding version: PSX

3lric

EVTCHR have many palettes for each image. Usually 1 palette for each character on said image. You will either need to, make your YOUR sheet uses the EXACT palette as the sprite it is covering, OR, you use the EVTCHR Palette command (event) to force a specific palette onto the sprite it is covering

Xifanie

March 09, 2019, 08:19:06 am #2 Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 09:11:42 am by Xifanie
You could just copy the palette of the character to a row in the EVTCHR image's palette, then just copy and paste the image into the EVTCHR image. If multiple palettes share the same exact colours, you can temporarily edit duplicate colours in unused palette rows to prevent auto-detecting and defaulting the colour to them.

Edit: In GraphicsGale, that is.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Nyzer

I'm pretty sure for the palettes that it's vital that both images have all 16 colors in the exact same order, as well. It's not enough to just have the same 16 colors. Of course, I have no idea if that's at all related to any issues you're having. I've only used EVTCHRs once so far myself. But maybe it helps?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown